Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ U.S. (3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 41 of 47

Re: music not registering

2011-04-18, 9:17 AM

Hello, I have a new Xoom wifi and have a problem with the music files I upload to xoom from my computer. Only a few of the files show up, even though they are in the music folder.  Xoom does not recognize and register the albums even though they are all mp3. I have rebooted several times and still no luck.  I downloaded another music app as a trail and there the music shows up. So, there is something needed from Motorola to update the music file and player. By the way the SDrescan did not work for me.

Also, google books does not install and google youtube app does not install either.  get moving motorola and fix all these problems with updates. thanks.

Options

3 Posts

02-27-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 42 of 47

2011-04-18, 12:24 PM

manifest, just curious, where did you buy your Xoom WIFI from?  The Xoom comes with Google Books and YouTube by default.  They should be already installed.  You are probably trying to install a version from the Market that is not optimized for the Xoom.

Also, my issue with the music files is that I had iTunes protected music that I copied to the music folder as well as un-protected music files.  The protected files will not run under the music app not will they show up.  That was my issue; not for sure if yours is the same.

Options

3 Posts

04-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 43 of 47

2011-04-18, 12:35 PM

DP.... , I bought the Xoom from Amazon, and the only music I transfered were mp3 files and not through iTunes or any other DRM player.  Just does not show up on the xoom music app.

I have both youtube and gbooks showing, but in both cases they state they are not installed, with youtube app, when I click install in processes it, but nothing happens, with gbooks there is no install option just a notice it will not install. I'm visiting Europe now, but bought the xoom in the USA

Options

3 Posts

02-27-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 44 of 47

2011-04-18, 12:47 PM

Ok.  For your music, I would compare the properties of the files that show up versus the files that do not.  There may be a difference.

For the Google Books and YouTube, this thread may help:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/48900

Options

3 Posts

04-18-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 45 of 47

2011-04-18, 13:00 PM

Actually, with the music, some files would show and then not show each time I added and cleared the music file app folder via a computer connection. I think it is a Xoom problem with its music app.  I check out the other thread.

Options

72 Posts

11-24-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 46 of 47

2011-12-05, 17:12 PM

Greetings, I have had the same problem with the Google Music app v4.0.9.509.  I copied music directly to both /mnt/sdcard/Music and /mnt/sdcard/amazonmp3.  I had previously downloaded from AmazonMP3 and it showed up. I also transferred a song via Bluetooth to /mnt/sdcard/bluetooth and it showed in Google Music as well.

I had tried to "force" stop the music application and it did not correct the issue.  I then read this thread and rebooted my Xoom FE.  Now the music that I copied over is showing up.  I agree that this seems to be an issue of when/how the music app scans and updates.  I also wondered if it had anything to to with my music containing spaces in the filename.

I vote for an option on the music player to force a rescan manually when needed.  Also, like Rhythmbox on Linux, I would like to be able to specify the directories or folders for my library.

Currently I can confirm that after a reboot my Xoom FE found my music both with and without spaces in the filenames and in the following directories or folders:

/mnt/sdcard/Music

/mnt/sdcard/amazonmp3

/mnt/sdcard/bluetooth

Thanks,

J.Carpenter

Options

1210 Posts

09-28-2010

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 47 of 47

2011-12-05, 18:44 PM

j.carpenter wrote:

Greetings, I have had the same problem with the Google Music app v4.0.9.509.  I copied music directly to both /mnt/sdcard/Music and /mnt/sdcard/amazonmp3.  I had previously downloaded from AmazonMP3 and it showed up. I also transferred a song via Bluetooth to /mnt/sdcard/bluetooth and it showed in Google Music as well.

I had tried to "force" stop the music application and it did not correct the issue.  I then read this thread and rebooted my Xoom FE.  Now the music that I copied over is showing up.  I agree that this seems to be an issue of when/how the music app scans and updates.  I also wondered if it had anything to to with my music containing spaces in the filename.

I vote for an option on the music player to force a rescan manually when needed.  Also, like Rhythmbox on Linux, I would like to be able to specify the directories or folders for my library.

Currently I can confirm that after a reboot my Xoom FE found my music both with and without spaces in the filenames and in the following directories or folders:

/mnt/sdcard/Music

/mnt/sdcard/amazonmp3

/mnt/sdcard/bluetooth

Thanks,

J.Carpenter

The Music applications doesn't look directly at the hard drive directories they read their list of files from the MediaStore database which is maintained by the device.   They do this as it saves power and is MUCH MUCH faster then enumerating directories.    There is a service that runs several times a day (and at boot) that indexes the content on the devices storage and puts information about all files found it into the Mediastore database.   This allows the Music app to do a simple query for all audio files, the video app to do a query for all video files, and gallery to do a query for all phones, without having to walk the directory tree each time.

If you copy information from your PC over USB connection to the Xoom it automatically updates the database, it also does if you download music using google music, amazonmp3 store or built in web browser..    Other applications such as file managers, bluetooth file transfer applications, etc.... often don't update the MediaStore database when they move or save a new file to the drive.   This is caused by the applications not following the android dev guides on file handling.    This ultimately leads to files appearing to disappear from music or video apps when you move or copy them someplace. 

I agree there should be a "reindex" button someplace in the built in apps.   Right now, safetly powering unit off and on is one method to get unit to reindex itself.   If you search for "rescan media" on android market you will find a few applications that force the rescan process without a reboot.   After you force a rescan can take up to 5 minutes before full scan is done. (depends on how much stuff you have)   Just make sure if you download one of the rescan apps,that you get one that requires NO permissions.    As none are required for a rescan app, but there are a few fishy ones that require permissions they don't technically need.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms