Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ U.S. (3G, 4G LTE or Wi-Fi)
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-03-2011

Australia

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 9

unrealiable USB connection for filecopy!

2011-07-03, 11:33 AM

I've been trying and trying but copying more than a few music files seems to beyond my xoom.

I have Windows XP connected to Xoom via USB, and after a few seconds the file copy just dies and I can't see the Storage device.

Is there any solution to this issue?

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: unrealiable USB connection for filecopy!

2011-07-03, 12:10 PM

i would try a different cable first. if that doesnt work for testing purposes try a different computer. the Xoom can handle that kind of transfer no problem.

please report back.

Options

8 Posts

04-01-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2011-07-03, 16:31 PM

If you are using a desktop computer and are using a USB port on the front of your computer try using a USB port on the back of the computer.  My desktop has a standard Intel motherboard.  Both of the front ports get an error when I connect the Xoom to them.  The USB port on the back of the case works fine with the Xoom.

Options

229 Posts

03-01-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2011-07-03, 17:07 PM

fletch and murphy gave you the 2 actions that were 1st in my mind...

If neither is succesful, double-check that you have the very latest xp updates and patches.  I have 2 lenovo thinkpad laptops purchased about 18 months apart with almost identical hardware and software and both with xp sr3.  One connected fine (on the correct usb port), the other either wouldn't find xoom or would only recognize it as a media player and not as a storage device (I prefer moving files, incl music, in the latter manner so I don't have to mess with media player).  Both computers were set to autoupdate windows and did from time to time (or so I thought), but when my bride took the computer that played nice with xoom on a weeklong trip, I was forced to the other one and after trying everything else I could think of I manually initiated a "lenovo update" which must have triggered something because all of a sudden I got several notices for windows updates.  After installing them, I reran the motodev driver helper application to clean and reload fresh drivers on my pc, plugged in the usb, and have been humming since.

Options

1 Posts

07-03-2011

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2011-07-03, 19:24 PM

I have a similar problem with my Xoom, i can't copy certain files that i have downloaded on my xoom to my pc. Those files being PDFs and a few word docs. I to have updated all of the drivers, restarted, and tried 2 diferent usb cords in the front and back of my PC. I can not for the life of me figure out why, but when i drag these files the the desktop or anywhere on my pc it doesnt do anything at all, no errors or anything it just does nothing. Anyone know why?

Options

4283 Posts

12-10-2006

United States

99 Signins

922 Page Views

• Views: 922
  • Message 6 of 9

2011-07-03, 20:55 PM

not to hijack the OP but just as a test to your problem can you use a file explorer of your choice to zip the file you can not move and then try and copy it over?

Options

6817 Posts

02-28-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2011-07-04, 1:58 AM

@mtrax,

You may also want to see what other applications and drivers on your PC are loaded that use the USB ports. If you don't see any possible conflicts, I would uninstall and reinstall the Motorola USB drivers. I had a similar issue on my laptop and cleared it up by uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers.

On my desktop PC, I prefer to use WiFi File Explorer with the Xoom instead of the USB anyway. That allows me to fluidly move files to and from the Xoom while it remains on its dock charging (and no cables to mess with).

-Doc

Options

27 Posts

05-18-2011

Germany

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2011-07-04, 7:37 AM

Hi,

i had the same problem, when i plugged my Xoom to a PC for the first time. The device obviously was detected, but as soon as i tried to copy something, the process was interrupted and the device was re-detected.

You have to install the the Moto USB driver in that case! See http://www.motorola.com/Support/AU-EN/Support-Homepage/Software-and-Drivers/USB-PC-Charging-Drivers

After installing that driver, it worked like a charm for me...

Regards, Thorsten

Options

133 Posts

03-08-2010

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2011-07-04, 12:25 PM

Yeah, XP hasn't been a good experience with the XOOM for me. I loaded Motorola software and experienced the same issues. I don't have this problem with windows 7 or Vista. I guess I am lucky that I don't use that computer much.

Microsoft left XP behind like a rotting carcass. It seems that the carrion birds are swooping in.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete