Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b0z0
What's DOS?
Views: 7,737
Message 1 of 11

About Xoom 2 's bootloader

I heard a few months ago that Motorola was planning to unlock its device's bootloaders, yet, I was disapointed to see that my Xoom 2 's bootloader was still locked (even though I didn't bought it from a carrier) and that there was no way to unlock it for the time being. Is there any ETA about when I'll be able to unlock it and use my tablet at it's full potential ?

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 11

Re: About Xoom 2 's bootloader

@b0z0,

Perhaps this function has been delayed based on the high demand for the new ICS Operating Systems across a range of devices and locations?

-Doc

LukcyDip23
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 11

Theyre not going to provide a means to unlock the boot loader - I've just had several emails back from their customer support department and I can garuntee that theyre not going to do this.

Heres a summary of what i sent and their replies :

My Mail

Hi Motorola
I'd like to question why the bootloader on my recently purchased Xoom 2 10.1 is locked.
According to your blogs your supposed to be unlocking the boot loaders to your devices : http://www.motorola.com/blog/2011/10/24/ice-cream-and-bootloaders-and-motorola-%E2%80%93-oh-my/
Several Xoom 2 devices have already shipped like this from the factory : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1423526
I'm not bound to a carrier, and purchased the device in its entirety as such - so there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for the device to be locked - especially in such a way that it cant even be unlocked using fastboot like the original xoom.
Had I known that my device was going to arrive in this state i would have purchased a different tablet!
Obviously I'm a little annoyed at this - especially as it goes against everything youve put in your press releases!!! - and would appreciate you sending me an unlocked image / bootloader so I can use the device to its full potential.
I look forward to you resolving this issue.

Motorola Reply

Dear Mr Bartley,
Thank you for contacting Motorola.
We are very sorry to inform you that we are not able to unlock your boot loader since this will void your warranty. We would like to advise you to contact Motorola Developers for this at http://developer.motorola.com/

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your Customer Reference number. We are reachable on 0870 901 0555 to discuss the matter further with one of our experienced customer service agents. Please contact us anytime between the hours of 8:30am and 6pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 8am to 2pm.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
Kind regards,
Motorola Mobile Devices Contact Centre

My Response

Hi
This answer is not satisfactory.
I did not ask if unlocking my bootloader would void the warranty.
I want to know why you have released press statements saying that you will
be shipping devices with unlockable bootloaders - then shipping devices
with locked ones.
Was the press statement a lie???
If so I've purchased my device on the basis of that lie and I'm not happy
and want to return the device for a refund as I can't do what I want with
the device.
How do I go about this.
Gareth Bartley.

Motorola Reply

Dear Mr Bartley,
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience but we are not allowed to provide any mean to unlock the boot loaders. Please contact Motodev at http://developer.motorola.com/

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your Customer Reference number. We are reachable on 0870 901 0555 to discuss the matter further with one of our experienced customer service agents. Please contact us anytime between the hours of 8:30am and 6pm Monday to Friday and Saturday 8am to 2pm.

Kind regards,

LukcyDip23
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 11

Just had another reply prodding me over to motodev - as it was those tho made the press release.

I'm emailing them now.

Dear Mr Bartley,
We would like to inform you that those press statements were made by Motorola Developer Team. From Motorola Mobility contact centre we cannot provide any method to unlock the boot loaders.
Please understand and contact Motodev directly at http://developer.motorola.com/ where they will be able to help you with the boot loaders.

Kind regards,

texrw
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 11

They are telling you, motodev WILL help you UNLOCK the bootloader. It's almost as good as official unlocker.

I'm going to motodev NOW

thomaseap
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 11

infor us with the answer

LukcyDip23
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

still no reply from motodev as of now Smiley Sad

Peav
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

Hopefully, the news that Asus are unlocking its Prime Transformer bootloader will prompt Moto to unlock the Xoom 2.

RonilsonDiSouza
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 11

Vamos postar a nossa indignação e fazer barulho: https://www.facebook.com/nuncamaismotorola
donadoxoom
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 11

I cant understand. One tablet with so good hardware, have so issue, because of its software. And the manufacter, who can solve this problem, prefer do nothing.  Its most  terrible when the vendor is motorola, wich is ackuired  by google.