Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackdashack
Token Ring
Views: 5,114
Message 1 of 8

Xoom ICS Browser does not sync correctly

I've the Xoom tablet. I have tried everything to sync the stock ICS browser but it comes up err. I've cleaned the cache, the data, rebooted. DIsabled the browser then enabled it and done all the above again. But nothing allows it to sync correctly.

I thought once I uninstalled the stock ICS browser and then found it remains in the memory and reinstalled it. But, I cannot find where I might have uninstalled it now. Maybe I didn't. But I know I thought I did and a question here brought an answer how to find it and reinstall it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Jack  ":-\\

PRC
Paper Tape
Message 2 of 8

Re: Xoom ICS Browser does not sync correctly

Jack try sycing with Chrome. I use it from notebook/desktop to Xoom with no problems.

The default browser can't be removed. If you think you uninstalled it you really did not. Click on the 6 squares in the upper right corner and you will see the apk.

If you want to syc use chrome. 

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 3 of 8

Yes PRC I understand your suggestion. I do have Chrome on the Xoom and it does sync. There's several things that Chrome does that I'd rather use the Browser ICS instead, at least at particular times. Now for some reason I'd been able to sync with Xoom with the ICS Browser. If asked me did I want to sync with Google and I said yes and it did.

Somehow I lost the bookmarks and have gotten the ICS browser to sync some bookmarks but not completely. Not sure why? I tried disabling the ICS browser but I'd thought somewhere back a few months I'd actually uninstalled it. Then someone showed me how to reinstall it again. It's all fuzzy now but I haven't checked yet today to see maybe it has synced proper.

Thanks!  Jack  ":-D

PRC
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 8

ICS is one of the "core programs" if you think you uninstalled it, you really just removed it out of the main access screen. If you click on the 6 squares in the upper right hand corner you will find that program still there. The only way to remove it is to "root" your xoom. Then you'll have complete control over what programs stay and what programs leave.

Where a program is not coperating  the best think to do is to remove it and then reinstall it. That's really the only control you have.

The other possible shot you have might be to use a file manager to copy the files if you want to import to chrome. Other than that there is not much more that I know of that you can do with out knowing what you objective is.

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 5 of 8

Back to my origianl post, all I really wanted to do was get the bookmarks synced on the ICS browser, which it had done previously error free. Now I cannot. I can go to settings>apps> and sync the ICS Browser but it has not been doing it completely as in the past.

Original post: " I've cleaned the cache, the data, rebooted. DIsabled the browser then enabled it and done all the above again. But nothing allows it to sync correctly."

Original post:  "I thought once I uninstalled the stock ICS browser and then found it remains in the memory and reinstalled it." ( I could have finished this though better. What I was after was the old MS OS fix of un-installing and re-installing a program which often fixed the problem although the reason for the problem was not discovered no one much cared because it was fixed)

To be clear again, I just want the ICS browser to sync bookmarks without err once again, like it has in the past. I have no reason for why it only does it partially. Please note above I said I've been all through cleaning cache, etc.

Thanks so much for your time.  Jack  ":-\\

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 6 of 8

Last post was August 27th. Sorry to report that although Chrome does it wonderfully for some reason the ICS browser has not recoved. It's still does not show the bookmarks. It had them at one time. Somehow, someday I'll trip over the answer and try to remember to report here. Thanks to all that were helpful!

Jack  ":-D

docbrown1
Bit Torrent
Message 7 of 8

jackdashack said:

Last post was August 27th. Sorry to report that although Chrome does it wonderfully for some reason the ICS browser has not recoved. It's still does not show the bookmarks. It had them at one time. Somehow, someday I'll trip over the answer and try to remember to report here. Thanks to all that were helpful!

Jack  ":-D

View original

Hello jackdashack,

Did you ever find a way to fix this issue for the stock ICS browser? I read another post on the Internet (different OEM tablet) where a user corrected the sync issue by doing a Factory Data Reset. However, these types of issues might reoccur if there is a systemic issue with the browser itself. This same ICS browser has a known memory leak that causes numerous stability issues over time, unless you reboot the tablet (and Android OS) every few days (depending on the browser usage).

-Doc

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 8 of 8

I only took steps to stop it from syncing. What you say does make sense. I do not do a full boot very often. However, even if all is well I could not tell you how the bookmarks synced the last time.

I do all my bookmarking in Chrome and use X'marks as the syncing process. However how the ICS browser got the same bookmarks I could not tell. And it seemed to update also. ????

I turned Chrome sync off as it was causing all kinds of double and triple folders. So I lost Google sync and went back to the Xmarks. A littl more laborious but I cold not tell what was happening. As far as I know when I was using Google Sync I had Xmarks turned off. ???

So I'll see if somehow I can find how the ICS browser found the bookmarks now that seemed to belong only to Chrome??

Thanks .... Jack  ":-\\