Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackdashack
Token Ring
Views: 4,041
Message 1 of 5

Xoom and IP issue

I have the Xoom, of course, from the factory with ICS. Recently because of some problems I decided to so a factory backup and reset. This issue I speak of was ongoing before the reset and is still ongoing and is this:

Every time I turn the Xoom on it's lost it's IP address, I suspect, because I have to go turn the modem/router off and reset it. Then the Xoom will recognize an IP address. Now, my SSID is "available" during this bad event but will not connect. It says connecting but doesn't. So, reset the modem/router and all is well. I figure it's for some reason losing the IP info.  Que?

Oh, if it's of any help it's the Stupinity Black Tower of Doom. Comcrust's latest, "The future of Awful"  Does it sound like I have issues with them. Well yes, but that's another story line. Right now I wonder why this losing the IP or the ability to connect happens every time I turn the Xoom off.

Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.  Jack  ":-D

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 2 of 5

Re: Xoom and IP issue

I am getting a variation of answers from different forums. One says set static mac addresses. One says there may be drops or problems on the line so get Comcast to come check it out. They've already done this several times for other issues before this one. So for the time I have found a work around and maybe, just maybe this thing will correct itself over time. In the following explanation, turning off my Xoom means the "quick click" that either sleeps it or puts it in standby. I have not tried if this below works with a complete turn or or reboot.

So as stated above, I reset the modem/router and the Xoom will find it's IP address, for that one time. So what I now do is not turn the wireless off but put it in AIRPLANE MODE which turns off the wireless temporarily. Then I turn off (see above again) the Xoom and when I turn it back on and turn off the airplane mode the wireless comes back on and it seems to have kept it's settings. I hope eventually this will work it's way out as a bug but this works just fine with little effort.  That's it!

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 3 of 5

ADDENDUM TO ABOVE: not that I suppose this info helps or adds but I have 5 wireless devices, but never more than 3 on at one time. Mostly 2 and more often just 1 at anytime.  So for what that bit is worth.  ":-D

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 4 of 5

Hey jackdashack,

Your post made me think, I never heard of that before.

Did you ever try to connect your tablet with a different router? This way, you could at least know if the issue lies with the tablet itself (and then its a hardware fault of your Xoom 2) or if it lies with the router/ connection/ provider.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Nicole

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 5 of 5

I could do this experiment. I will report back. I should tell you that the easiest test would be a neighbor. I do all his pc maintenance so he gave me his pass. Why would I want to use his 1MBPS DSL connection.But at least I could test it if that would be a valid test. The only other way is to visit one of the Xfinity free spots here in town. I'll work on it. 

Thanks Jack ":-D