Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackdashack
Token Ring
Views: 2,858
Message 1 of 4

Xoom loses IP after each session

Recently out of the blue the Xoom started losing the IP each time I turn it on. In settings it shows Saved and Available but when I go to the Advanced it shows everything including the mac address but the IP is unavailable. When it reassigns it always it the same address.

Any clues why all of a sudden this Xoom is doing that. I have other wireless devices and they are not losing their IP addresses when shut off and turned back on. I've asked this on another forum and this smarty keeps coming back with, I told you to give it a static mac address. Like there is not other options. This may indeed fix it but it doesn't explain to me why just the Xoom is going that way. Everything else is co-operating. I thought it might be something different. Possibly a little easier as I have never assigned a static mac address to a device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jack ":-D

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 2 of 4

Re: Xoom loses IP after each session

HI Jack,

did you try to connect to another router as well?

This way, we could at least locate the issue (router or Xoom 2) and that would bring us a step further. 

Cheers,

Nicole

jackdashack
Token Ring
Message 3 of 4

Nicole it seems for now (no icon for fingers crossed) the Comcast folks have helped. This after signing up for their 5.99/month service and getting some real help from them. I spent about 7 hours in total. They found several problems. I don't know that I'm convinced I have a permanent solution but it's working so far. This problem has been known to go away and come back, making me suspect the modem/router.

As far as your suggestion. Oh yeah, having had pc's since 1988 and on the web since 1996 I have all sorts of things I try to eliminate one thing from the other. And this is why the listen to me, I make them when I call because I know the first thing those lightly trained techs on the "unpaid" service want to jump right in and say is sorry sir, your device is bad. So I had them hear that I'd connected up on several different networks consistently but only my network was giving it trouble. So it seemed they didn't spend much time with me before the "bumped" me up to a real technician. I happened to get on as great fortune would have it that actually was familiar with my Xoom tablet and was an Android fan.

Actually the problem worsened since I posted. I wouldn't connect up at all.  So while I was moving a pc near the modem, they always want you Ethernet connected, not wirelessly, I turned the modem off and when it came back on it had lost it's provisionging. That's not right, it's never doen that. So they had to re-provision the modem. Then the knowledgable tech went all through my gateway options and in an out of the box notion asked me to open Parental Options. Now understand I'm here alone, 65, and no one comes and touches my stuff. They got me able to connect again. The parental options had blocked the Xoom. Now I did not do that. I never fool with anything in parental options. So, what did that? Then for some reason they set it on Channel 11, and said they find that best. I don't know why because my inSSIDer program, that one that tells you the names of all the networks, their channels and streghths around you told me that Channel 1 got me the furtherest from everyone else. But he said Channel 11 is best. They had me change my password. 

So I told them, If you don't hear me doing the "happy feet" dance it's becuase I'm not persuaded it's fixed for good. So this is the poitn I am too now. I'll come back here if anything else happens. 

Thanks for taking the time.  Jack  ":-D

MotoAgent
MotoAgent
Message 4 of 4

Hi Jack,

Great to hear that it works for now, fingers crossed. That sounds like a lot of settings had to be changed.

Let me know if you need any help with the Xoom.

Cheers,

Nicole