Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidhopcroft
What's DOS?
Views: 1,489
Message 1 of 15

How do I change OS language to english?

Hello every one,

I have just got myself an XOOM 3G, from Saturn electronics here in Germany. This is an device witout contract, and I am using it with my O2 data contract for 3G connectivity.

I was expecting that I would be able to change the OS language from the Standarad German to English... Huummph it seems not to be the case.

It looks like from my investigations that I will need to reinstall the Android OS, because The only language in German android in German

SO my question is where do I find the download of the version of Android that has English as a selectable language?

BTW the device's current OS level is H.6.3-25-9

Many thanks

bryce888
What's DOS?
Message 2 of 15

Re: How do I change OS language to english?

I am no expert but suggest you look at Motorola site. Enter thru the Global portal cannot remember?

It shows H.6.2-35.1 for retail Germany and H.6.2-24 as the Retail build for Europe, which includes UK in the language information.

Hope this helps,

davidhopcroft
What's DOS?
Message 3 of 15

Hi thanks for the quick response.

I had a look on www.motorola.com but cannot see a "portal"?

where did you see this version for retail Europe?

The really anoying thing is some where along the line I get redirected to the German Site again and there seem to be now downloads for alternate firmware/os.  the only link is one that goes to a PDF that tells me to ao an auto update on the device itself...

I am really starting to find this whole process very annoying.

bryce888
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 15

Sorry for the slow response was away at the weekend. You need to look at the following url

http://developer.motorola.com/products/software/?utm_campaign=xoomsoftware&utm_medium=motorolacom&ut...

This shows all the device software images you can download.

It shows german and international under MZ604.

Hope this helps.

davidhopcroft
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 15

thanks,

i actually have a MZ601, 3G model.

but this is listed as well.

Now sorry to sound stupid again, but what do I do with these files now I have them?

I see the bit at the top of the page about '...Flash and relock...'

but do I have to first 'root' my unit? Then use this tool 'adb' with eclipse?

bryce888
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 15

I am sorry but I am also new to the Xoom can only suggest that you read the forums try XDA http://forum.xda-developers.com/ and look in the android section.

Also search for change US XOOM to UK XOOM on google which explains how its done. Please be careful as you can brick your XOOM if you are not. Might be cheaper to learn German!!

Hope this helps

bryce888
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 15

Just had another thought, on my Xoom I have under settings /language & input/ there is a heading "select language" which allows me to select about 30 different languages including German.

Do you not have the same under settings?

After you tap settings (Einstellungen in German), language and input (Sprachen & Eingang) is 4th from the bottom. tapping this brings up a list under language settingsyou have "select language"  (Wahlen Sie Sprache vor in German) tapping this brings up list of languages.

cheers

davidhopcroft
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 15

yes i know i can speak and read german, i just don't want it on this device. this is because of the use i want it for.

also i checked this option as soon as i got it out of the box.  this is the reason i want the other language pack. in germany thy (motorola) only ship devices with the german language. this is totally crazy. any other eurpean unit comes with a full set.

so this is why i want to change to full european os image.

it is a real shame some one from motorola can't answer this simple question. it's not like i am dropping the unit to linux or any thing.

i got the xoom because i had read that motorola work very closely with google so i expected this to be more of a showcase for what can be done with andriod than any thing else on the market.

so far i have to say i'm not so impressed. this unit seems as closed as the unit ' that shall not be named'

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 15

The link to the images can be found in the forum overview here:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/tablets/xoom_non-us/unlocked_xoom_non-us?view=overview

direct link: http://moto.ly/xoomsoftware

unlocking the device however will void your warranty.

davidhopcroft wrote:

Hello every one,

I have just got myself an XOOM 3G, from Saturn electronics here in Germany. This is an device witout contract, and I am using it with my O2 data contract for 3G connectivity.

I was expecting that I would be able to change the OS language from the Standarad German to English... Huummph it seems not to be the case.

It looks like from my investigations that I will need to reinstall the Android OS, because The only language in German android in German

SO my question is where do I find the download of the version of Android that has English as a selectable language?

BTW the device's current OS level is H.6.3-25-9

Many thanks

davidhopcroft
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 15

hi TRose,

thanks for that, silver88 had already kindly sent me the link to the firmware.

what  i am looking for is how to unlock the device.

please don't take this the wrong way but i as mentioned above i got the xoom because i had been informed the platform was more open than ones of the fruity variety.  it seems strange to me this only works upto a point.

ie you provide the firmware for download but there are no detailed instructions of what you can do with it.

@Motorola in general- i fully understand messing around will void my warrenty. if  i screw up yes my fault, i won't come running blaming you in any way.  so please will you give out some offical documentation on how to mess around with my platform? or if it exists can  you point me in the right direction.