cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dale1942
What's DOS?
Views: 868
Message 1 of 11

What Android Smartphone Can be Tethered To the Xoom?

I'm due to get a replacement smartphone and would like to get an android phone that I can tether the xoom to. When I'm at the cottage where there is no wifi I would like to tether the xoom to the phone so I can access the internet through the phone and share the data plan that my phone is on. Is there an android phone that supports this?

Tanis_7x
Bit Torrent
Message 2 of 11

Re: What Android Smartphone Can be Tethered To the Xoom?

I'm not aware of any phones that support physically tethering the phone to the Xoom, but many 2.2+ phones support 3G Mobile Hotspot. This feature will create a WiFi access point using your phone's data connection.

Since you are from outside the US, I am not sure what phones are available to you, but I know for example that the Droid X, Droid 2, and Defy all support 3G Mobile Hotspot.

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 3 of 11

Any Android phone with Froyo or later should do. The DEFY even features the mobile hotspot with 2.1. iPhone with the latest iOS should also work, or you could get a MiFi device? So lots of choices here.

dale1942 wrote:

I'm due to get a replacement smartphone and would like to get an android phone that I can tether the xoom to. When I'm at the cottage where there is no wifi I would like to tether the xoom to the phone so I can access the internet through the phone and share the data plan that my phone is on. Is there an android phone that supports this?

dale1942
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 11

A search of the web suggests not  all androids v2.2 support bluetooth tethering. The 3G lPhone doesn't support the xoom, lt may if JB. MiFi would require another data plan in addition to the data/voice plan I have for my lPhone now. Tethering by WiFi is not the same as tethering by bluetooth which is what I want.

What I should of asked is "What are the known android smartphones that can be bluetooth tethered to the xoom".

Mto
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 11

Sorry i was mislead, cause everyone uses the term "tethering" with any type of sharing the internet connection of the phone with any other device. I was thinking of mobile hotspot only, because it's the easiest and most reliable way IMHO.

dale1942 wrote:

A search of the web suggests not  all androids v2.2 support bluetooth tethering. The 3G lPhone doesn't support the xoom, lt may if JB. MiFi would require another data plan in addition to the data/voice plan I have for my lPhone now. Tethering by WiFi is not the same as tethering by bluetooth which is what I want.

What I should of asked is "What are the known android smartphones that can be bluetooth tethered to the xoom".

Tanis_7x
Bit Torrent
Message 6 of 11

I haven't tried this app myself, but Wireless Tether looks promising for what you are trying to do.

Out of curiosity, why bluetooth instead of WiFi? As TRose said, WiFi is usually easier and more reliable.

daniel_cps
What's DOS?
Message 7 of 11

i'm using my motorola milestone with Froyo 2.2 and it's built in 3g mobile hotspot software...

works like a charm

pugwash
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 11

i've got a Htc Desire on 2.2 that i've used to provide a wifi hotspot for my netbook and xoom.

Highlighted
lakraven
What's DOS?
Message 9 of 11

I've got my HTC Desire S (stock 2.3.2 Gingerbread)...

On stock Xoom firmware, I use the WiFi hotspot feature of the phone to tether.

With my rooted Xoom, I can physically tether by cable, and also by Bluetooth.

stevesxoom
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 11

hi.

i use my htc desire (2.3.4 - oxygen 2.13) with the built-in tethering & portable hotspot functionality to give my xoom internet access where there is no wifi.

although tethering by usb is available i always use wifi as its so easy and convenient. also hammering the phone as an access point when streaming content tends to drain the battery, so often it will be on charge and therefore the usb port is not available for tethering.

i've never tried bluetooth but why would you when wifi is so much easier and faster?

good luck in making your choice, i hope this helps

cheers steve