Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ (Non-U.S.)
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

05-16-2011

Denmark

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 10

I gave up.

2012-07-23, 23:11 PM

Yesterday I rooted my Xoom and put Android 4.1.1 on it. It works like a charm – should have done so a long time ago.

I didn’t want to. I have been working with computers for 20+ years and consider myself a fairly techy person. I make software for a living but find little fun in rooting tablets or reading long threads about how and what to install. I would really like for it to “just work”.

I decided to root anyway after reading the great reviews on Jelly Bean. My Xoom was still on 3.2 before rooting and I was hoping Motorola would deliver ICS in the not so long future. Looking at Motorola’s track record, I could expect to get JB earliest by the end of the year and probably later. In fact, given that Motorola has 20+ different software versions for the Xoom and sales have been abysmal, it is difficult to see why Motorola would prioritize JB on the Xoom (customer satisfaction would seem like a reason but we are talking about Motorola). Waiting for that long simply makes no sense.

I really hate that it came to this. On the other hand, I do not understand why Motorola is so much against rooting. I paid for my Xoom. No subsidies, no contract. I have now removed myself from their group of people they have to support. They should be happy: I paid a fortune for the machine and now they don’t have to support me.

At the end of the day my Xoom is now almost what I expected it to be when I bought it: Pretty much up-to-date with the latest Android (that was the primary reason for getting a Xoom over a transformer/Samsung). I am at the front of the Android wave. I gave up on support and had to spend time on something I hate (installation).

Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 10

Re: I gave up.

2012-07-24, 5:45 AM
I have no clue how to do any of this and tried to read some info but sounds too complicated for me. It looks most people are doing the same to get ICS/JB.
Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2012-07-24, 8:28 AM
I have been reading about the process and my decision is if I am to do any of this I would use pure Google and Motorola software, which means I would use a US Wifi image, I think this means I will not have a working 3G function
Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2012-07-24, 11:16 AM
I wish I had a Wifi Xoom, I would have converted it to GED
Options

27 Posts

05-16-2011

Denmark

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 10

2012-07-24, 23:37 PM

This was not meant as a discussion about particular custom firmware or how to do it (which for some reason is not allowed in this forum).

It was a more general comment about that running a custom build of Android gives me pretty much what I was hoping to get from Motorola when I bought the Xoom: A device that continuously is at the forefront of Android - always with the latest stuff. What Motorola delivered was a device that is always last (without any good reason).

One of the drawbacks is that I had to spend time understanding rooting etc. It is not that hard but there is a significant number of concepts to come to terms with (e.g. the difference between unlocking and rooting, understanding recovery, …). Spending time on stuff like this is really not what I like to do, but doing so gave me the device I wanted.

Another drawback is that right now I am running a nightly build of *** (not allowed here). Picking a *random* nightly build for installation/update is slightly scary - who knows what problems I am in for. The devs creating my particular build apparently have a reputation for making high quality stuff so I'm not overly concerned. However it is an issue.

Obviously Motorola could step in here. I am sure that they have some similar builds (if they have any plans on bringing us to ICS/JB). If they were to run such builds through a quick "does it f… up the device" test and then release such builds into the open (through a separate channel from the regular builds), then I think most people would be happy. Then those that want the (apparent) safety of Android 3.2 can stay there until the time (probably in the far future) when Motorola decides to release an official ICS/JB build. Those who bought the international Xoom believing they got the same as the US Xoom (the GED stuff) would also be happy (or at least much happier).

Unfortunately this will never happen. The whole Xoom saga screams incompetent planning from Motorola. They never knew what they got into with the US GED devices vs. the international non-GED devices. And the fact that they have 20+ firmware images when they should have had only one makes releases (with test) very expensive.

PS: I have not found a single area where my Xoom is now worse than it was with Android 3.2. And JB is a lot smoother than ICS (I have a HTC One X phone running ICS) - project "butter" from google has really payed off. Going custom has been a very nice surprice - it has gone significantly smoother than expected.

Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 10

2012-07-25, 19:06 PM
Would someone in Manchester area be happy to flash my Xoom with US image for a reasonable fee? Please PM me.
Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2012-07-26, 22:45 PM
Guys just to let you know that my friend just received JB update on his US Wifi Xoom, he is not testing any software, it is the official release.
Options

27 Posts

05-16-2011

Denmark

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2012-07-27, 0:08 AM

If Motorola's past performance is to be our guide then the 3G Xooms will get JB in February. Non US Wifi Xooms will get it in December ...

(happily enjoying my JB 3G Xoom)

Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 10

2012-07-27, 5:18 AM
I seriously think this has crossed all lines, Motorola should convert all non-US Zooms to 2 models, one Wifi and one 3G, then the updates can be released in a reasonable time.
Options

84 Posts

01-06-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 10

2012-07-27, 10:06 AM

Id love to know how to root this Asia MZ601 - Motorola couldnt give a flying doggy doo about us.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms