Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XOOM™ (Non-U.S.)
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-29-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 17

Xoom wifi - ICS update latest for UK owners

2012-07-29, 7:22 AM

Firstly

since the 4th June annoucement I have been paitiently scouring all sites for info on the ICS update availability, now some 3 months on its now coming up to 4th Aug 2012 - likewise as with many other current and past Motorola users I am feeling very LET DOWN.

Secondly - I am saddend by the MELT DOWN of this FORUM into a SLAG MAG mentality:

Even LOOKING on this forum I can see that the Forum is going through MELTDOWN being a SLAGGING Place for anything MOTOROLA - SAD, but I cannot say I am surprised as being a past MOTOROLA User of the original 2002/3 VIDEO Phone and the wonderful A1000 which was one of the first ever touchscreen smartphones produced many years before the iPhone. I have had paast BAD expereinces of MOTOROLAS non-existant customer services policy...

Recently I brought a Xoom, on the single basis it wasnt a iPad, and was £200 cheaper and to say its BRILLIENT!

But like all technology there are faults, non more so than a non existant customer support, alongside a non existant rollout of upgrades and updates from the OEM supplier - SO yes there are FAULTS.

So NOW I have had my say...

WHAT IS THE LATEST ON ICS update for the UK version of the XOOM wifi (Aug 2012)

Clarity is needed, I do NOT want to root my XOOM I want an OFFICAL release, from MOTOROLA

but WHEN?

and any help from members of this FORUM will would be GREATLY appricated.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

03-31-2012

United Kingdom

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16

Re: Xoom wifi - ICS update latest for UK owners

2012-07-29, 8:24 AM
I eamiled support on the 16th and received a reply stating that " The ICS software update for XOOM WI-Fi is now being release for UK market" and to reply in 7 days if not resolved. Also same day I had a web chat with someone on their site who said that "it is not possible to unlock all devices at the same time so the update is being phased". I do not get that. Maybe their servers will get a big hit to download this.

I chased again on the 24th and got " The ICS update has begun to rollout for XOOM in the UK. It comes in stages so not all units recieve it at the same time, please keep checking for updates manually and you will have it available soon."

So, officially it has been released but as far as I can see no one has it.

7 Days tomorrow so I'll chase again.

I was happy to wait but now appear to be fobbed off all the time. I originally wanted a XOOM 2 but got the 1 instead which I think is brilliant.

Replies(16)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

03-31-2012

United Kingdom

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 2 of 17

2012-07-29, 8:24 AM
I eamiled support on the 16th and received a reply stating that " The ICS software update for XOOM WI-Fi is now being release for UK market" and to reply in 7 days if not resolved. Also same day I had a web chat with someone on their site who said that "it is not possible to unlock all devices at the same time so the update is being phased". I do not get that. Maybe their servers will get a big hit to download this.

I chased again on the 24th and got " The ICS update has begun to rollout for XOOM in the UK. It comes in stages so not all units recieve it at the same time, please keep checking for updates manually and you will have it available soon."

So, officially it has been released but as far as I can see no one has it.

7 Days tomorrow so I'll chase again.

I was happy to wait but now appear to be fobbed off all the time. I originally wanted a XOOM 2 but got the 1 instead which I think is brilliant.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8 Posts

07-29-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2012-07-29, 12:45 PM

Thank you Smile

Common sense seems to work, I haven'yt got as far as contacting CS directly, as was expecting a clean roll out... so seems that M wants to keep us waiting, Without realising its annoying.

I looked at the Xoom 2, but decided that the upgrades was superficial and didnt warrent a iPad price, when for £200 less i got a Xoom and was able to afford all the extras, Keyboard, Mouse, Sound docking station and uber cool walletto keep it all in, all reduced as considered end of a line... so ended up with a bargin purchase off amazon.

Looking forward to your follow up

Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2012-07-29, 14:44 PM
If I was in your shies I would you ahead unlock the bootloader and flash the US image. I am currently enjoying JB. I am not a 'techy' person but learned my way, I did not use an custom made software, just the Android SDK from Googled and the Wifi stock image from Motorola. It works like charm. I really regret OK didn't do this more than a year ago when I bought my Xoom, we missed out on a lot and didn't get a chance to enjoy our tablets as we should.
Options

7 Posts

07-31-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2012-07-31, 11:03 AM
I have received my ics update for my 3g xoom today.
Options

61 Posts

07-29-2011

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2012-08-03, 10:28 AM

I got the same respones as madesign54 when I called CS on the 30th of July. I was told to read the facebook page for motorola.

There seems to be an embargo on information which I guess is controlled by senior management in Motorola UK/US. (To be fair it is the poor CS reps I feel sorry for, as they must really be taking some abuse if this forum is anything to go by!)

I also agree that continual bitching is a totally fruitless operation and whilst it might make the poster feel better there is no way an individual will impact the thought processes of a large corporation like Mot.

This however does not solve my desire to have the latest operating system on the £480 tablet I bought a year ago and like various others I would also like to have a real "official" update rather than use some other system.

No one in the UK as far as I know has it irrespective of the CS view that i has been released so something is wrong.

So common chaps/gals/managers at MOT how about some useful information on when we will really get the ICS update in the UK.

Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2012-08-03, 10:52 AM

If you look at this software update thread which I try to keep up to date at least for the EMEA region, as I don't get all information from all regions, ICS for both XOOM WiFi and XOOM 3G are not yet available in the UK.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/7972a8808d?commentId=632167#632167

The versions currently available are:

MOTOROLA XOOM with WiFi Germany - MZ604

MOTOROLA XOOM with WiFi France - MZ604

XOOM 3G France - MZ601, XOOM 3G Telefonica - MZ601, XOOM 3G (MZ601) for DACH retail and Turkey (NonEfigs), 

XOOM 3G (MZ601) for Telekom Germany (TMDE)

So for the WiFi only model (MZ604) in Europe ICS is only available for Retail Germany and France so far.

The CSR might have mistaken the "rollout started in Europe" - which is true for France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain and Turkey - for "rollout started in the UK", being a part of Europe. They will be provided with the same information at the same time I update the thread above.

Once more versions are available in EMEA, I will add those to the thread mentioned above. I will add versions, when the final rollout starts, not when a soak test starts for selected users, meaning it can be that some users reporting they are getting the update, but the rollout has in fact not started yet.

This is not me being lame or not caring, it's just that the final rollout has not started yet.:)

Options

61 Posts

07-29-2011

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2012-08-03, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the quick response Trose at least I know that it has not started yet so I have not missed it on my UK Xoom. Will follow up on the thread you indicated and hope that I will get ICS soon.

Do we anticipate the same level of delay based on recent history of qualification before we see Jelly Bean in the uk?

Thanks again for the update

Options

41 Posts

07-19-2012

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2012-08-03, 22:13 PM
Tank you, tank you TGhose, you're fery nith.
Options

930 Posts

07-10-2010

United Kingdom

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 10 of 17

2012-08-04, 0:00 AM

U felkom, MettSee, clever funny guy.

I lold

MattC said:

Tank you, tank you TGhose, you're fery nith.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms