04-01-2013

USA

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 9

XPRT's turning on by itself after Gingerbread

2012-11-08, 21:43 PM

I have at least 6 XPRT's in my company that users are complaining they turn on by themselves in the middle of the night. This started happening after the Gingerbread update and has happened on phones that I've done a factory reset on. I've had them remove them from the cases to make sure they are pressing on the power button but the problem persists. I've seen some posts from Droid users having had the same problem and one XPRT user on the Sprint forums.

Anybody have any idea's? Could it be an app that get's installed. I've confirmed they are shutting them off and not just putting them in "low power" mode.

Thanks,

Mike

Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: XPRT's turning on by itself after Gingerbread

2012-11-08, 22:14 PM

Hi Mike.

To rule out an app, run the device in Safe Mode.  I'll find the directions for that for you shortly....

If this still happens in Safe Mode, then it isn't one of the apps but likely something that is stock on the device.

Also, can you tell us if the devices are plugged in when this happens?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2012-11-08, 22:23 PM

Try this.  I found these in my notes but not sure if the instructions for Safe Mode changed when the OS was updated....

Instructions for Safe Mode (if you have not found them already):

• Power down. 

• Wait a minute.

• Power the phone up.

• When you see the "M" screen count to 3 then press both volume buttons.

• Then keep holding until you see safe mode on lock screen after Now screen.

• NOTE:  You can get out of Safe Mode by just powering down, then power up normally.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

50 Posts

04-01-2013

USA

5 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 4 of 9

2012-11-08, 22:37 PM

Thanks eaccents.

As far as using safe mode, these phone are shut off at night and are turning on by themselves. If i power them up in safe mode then they will be already on. Am I supposed to power up in safe mode, then shut off and see if they turn on?

I've sent an e-mail inquiring on whether they are plugged in when it happens but I'd guess they charge them at night while they're off. Mine's on 24/7 so I've never noticed the problem.

Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2012-11-08, 22:48 PM

1wheeler1 said:

Thanks eaccents.

As far as using safe mode, these phone are shut off at night and are turning on by themselves. If i power them up in safe mode then they will be already on. Am I supposed to power up in safe mode, then shut off and see if they turn on?

I've sent an e-mail inquiring on whether they are plugged in when it happens but I'd guess they charge them at night while they're off. Mine's on 24/7 so I've never noticed the problem.

View original

Mike:

Would you also please ask if users are utilizing the OEM Motorola cable and wall adapter that came with their device.  Strange behavior with non OEM cables and wall adapters are a well documented phenomenon in these forums....

You are right about the Safe Mode/turning on by itself thing....sorry, that was stupid of me blush

Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2012-11-08, 23:04 PM

Turned my XPRT off, and plugged it in.  Leaving it at the office overnight.  Will see if it is on when I get back to work :)

Options

13984 Posts

02-02-2016

US

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2012-11-09, 16:29 PM

Mike:

I arrived at work today to find the XPRT that I set up yesterday (turned off and plugged in to a Motorola cable and wall adapter) still off.

Just to confirm, my device is 

• completely stock

• running OS v.2.3.5

Options

2 Posts

10-23-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 9

2013-01-31, 3:48 AM

I'm having the same problem.

Every Friday afternoon I put my phone in a draw after powering it down. It's in a draw all by itself, with nothing nearby to touch it.

it's not plugged in.

Saturday evening, when I go to get the phone, the power is on. Weird.

However, I noticed that I have some alarm notifications showing. Could this have turned on the power?

Options

6 Posts

08-31-2012

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 9 of 9

2013-03-01, 17:08 PM

My wife's XPRT turns itself on from a powered down state as well.  Within minutes of turning it off usually.  The phone is not plugged in when it is off either.  We can usually get the phone to stay off if we shut it down, then pull the battery and put it back in.  That may have just been lucky though.

We have given up on the phone and are just waiting for her contract to be up.  The sad thing is that the only phone with the same form factor currently available on Sprint is the Admiral.  She will be reluctant to get it for fear that it will present the same issues as the XPRT.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete