Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XPRT™
All Forum Topics
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 1 of 3

External antenna adapter

2013-02-14, 17:44 PM

I have a sailboat with a cellular antenna at the top of the mast.  I last used it many years ago with an old motorola flip phone.  Obviously the ability to use it would significantly boost my wireless range offshore or when anchored far from a tower.

Anyone know of any adapters or other related products that might be able to make use of the antenna with my xprt?

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: External antenna adapter

2013-02-15, 9:45 AM

How does the "cellular antenna" work?  Is it just some kind of range extender?  Or more of a wide range signal catcher?

I've not heard of anything like this, but then again I'm not much of a seafarer.  Any other sailors out there?

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: External antenna adapter

2013-02-15, 12:43 PM

@eaccents - it's a wire/cable with an antenna at the end and a connector on the other.  With the old flip phone (from late 90's) used to unscrew the antenna on the phone (which was external) and attach a short stretch of cable from where I used the phone mounted to the connector.

The height of the mast (eg 56') is what extends the range.

So the issue is what if anything would go between the xprt and the cable connection 1) since xprt has an internal antenna 2) some kind of product that provides external antenna capability for the xprt.  Same question could be asked for a car mounted antenna..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms