Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XPRT™
All Forum Topics
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 1 of 6

Will the XPRT work in Bahamas - data?

2013-04-22, 17:35 PM

I received the following response to my questions on purchasing a SIM card from BTC/Batelco in the Abacos, Bahamas - I was inquiring about their prepaid data plan.  If the rep's response is correct - would the XPRT even work for voice?  Sprint int'l roaming works on their GSM network according to the sprint website ..  I understand that the XPRT doesn't support 4G - however the BTC website seems to imply that non-4G phones can use the data plan.  Please advise - here's the response from their customer service.

Our 4g data network uses hspa/wcdma technology at 850 mhz frequency. For voice, BTC uses GSM technology at 850 and 1900 mhz frequencies. Only phones which use these technologies and frequencies will be able to pick up BTC hi speed mobile data service and our voice services. Some devices use utms or other high speed technologies and 900 and 1800 mhz frequencies.

XPRT uses UMTS - so it would seem I'm out of luck?  Or does the following mean I'm would be doing data on gsm instead of 4g network?

The tech above said that BTC supports:  hspa/wcdma, Motorola Mobility site says that XPRT supports:

Dual-band CDMA EVDO Rev A (800/1900) + Tri-band UMTS/HSDPA, 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM, GPRS Class 12, EDGE Class 12; 850/1900/2100 WCDMA (category 9/10); HSDPA 10.2mbps, HSUPA 1.8 mbps

So does anyone know if the highlighted bands/modes are the same thing?

Worst case I could spring for $15 sim card, minimum prepaid minutes and 1 day of data and try it out.

Answer
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

Re: Will the XPRT work in Bahamas - data?

2013-05-24, 13:06 PM

OK - I just got back from the Abacos, Bahamas.  Prior to going, I contacted Sprint International - who provisioned my previously unused GSM SIM for use.  She also confirmed that the Motorola XPRT is unlocked for use.

Upon arriving in the Bahamas (West End), I powered up the phone and found BTC.  Since I only had the Sprint SIM at this point, I turned off data.  Had no problems making calls (at $2.29/minute) and texting (at $.50/text).  I had GSM coverage when within 10 mi or so of a tower which was everywhere other than heading back to the US.  When we got to Marsh Harbour, I went to the BTC Batelco office and purchased a SIM card for $15 giving me a local phone number, as well as $10 of calling and a prepaid 30 day data plan regularly for $30 but on sale for $20 good for up to 1GB.  Their customer service set up the APN and loaded the prepaid plans.  I was good to go - and the coverage was great everywhere I went, as was the customer service at BTC - in person, via email and via chat.  I registered my phone number and thus was able to top-off the prepaid call $ online.  Local calls were $.30/min or so during the day and half that from 7p-7a and $.20/min on weekends.  International texts were $.15 and receive was free. Calls to US were $1/min. 

The only thing that didn't work was that to check balance of my data plan the commands begin with *2xxx - and the phone assumed it was *2 to sprint - so never went through. That's why I needed to either chat, email or call BTC.  While I did use wifi plans (Bahamas wimax) when able, while cruising in the area, in 3 weeks of  using the phone's data plan I had remaining over 900 mb right before I left.. 

The world-phone aspect was one of my primary reasons for choosing the XPRT and it totally fulfilled my requirements.

Replies(5)
Options

2137 Posts

07-20-2012

United Kingdom

67 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 2 of 6

2013-04-24, 9:04 AM

Hi loveh2o,

The phone is not designed for this frequency. In general you can say, 2G will highly probably work everywhere, 3G can work (dependent of the location/ frequencies) and 4 G only works when the phone is fine tuned to the networks frequencies.

Although I cannot guarantee that my conclusion is correct without trying it out, I would say that there is a high chance that 3G won't work at all with this plan.

"however the BTC website seems to imply that non-4G phones can use the data plan"

Don't assume this, they probably never tried it out!

The only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. To lose $15 is not too bad if it does not work. Or, maybe you can just go into the store and ask the store assistants if they know a way to help you. If you are lucky, another customer overhears your conversation and lends you their SIM card to try out.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Nicole

Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2013-04-24, 12:48 PM

Thanks for your feedback, Nicole.  This was the response I received when I sent BTC the Motorola Mobility Bands/Modes

Yes your phone would be compatible with our network due to our band being the same as your device 850 and 1900 MHz . You rwill also be able to use the data network as we cater to the Edge/2G  3G?4G along with WCDMA.

Thank you for choosing BTC, we appreciate your business.

I'll definitely take the chance and try it and post back with my experience before closing this question.

Options

2137 Posts

07-20-2012

United Kingdom

67 Signins

600 Page Views

• Views: 600
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-04-24, 13:18 PM

Hey loveh2o,

That would be great if you could let us know. If they say that then they might have tested it and found that it worked.

Looking at a different website, the frequency coverage Sprint uses is 1900 MHz and the Bahamas support 850MHz and 1900 MHz. That should actually work for 3G. But be sure to try it out first, the fine tuning can potentially still be an issue.

And for anybody else reading this post: Phones that don't support 4G cannot use 4G internet speed with a 4G SIM card.

Cheers,

Nicole

Answer
Options

40 Posts

07-22-2011

United States of America

47 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2013-05-24, 13:06 PM

OK - I just got back from the Abacos, Bahamas.  Prior to going, I contacted Sprint International - who provisioned my previously unused GSM SIM for use.  She also confirmed that the Motorola XPRT is unlocked for use.

Upon arriving in the Bahamas (West End), I powered up the phone and found BTC.  Since I only had the Sprint SIM at this point, I turned off data.  Had no problems making calls (at $2.29/minute) and texting (at $.50/text).  I had GSM coverage when within 10 mi or so of a tower which was everywhere other than heading back to the US.  When we got to Marsh Harbour, I went to the BTC Batelco office and purchased a SIM card for $15 giving me a local phone number, as well as $10 of calling and a prepaid 30 day data plan regularly for $30 but on sale for $20 good for up to 1GB.  Their customer service set up the APN and loaded the prepaid plans.  I was good to go - and the coverage was great everywhere I went, as was the customer service at BTC - in person, via email and via chat.  I registered my phone number and thus was able to top-off the prepaid call $ online.  Local calls were $.30/min or so during the day and half that from 7p-7a and $.20/min on weekends.  International texts were $.15 and receive was free. Calls to US were $1/min. 

The only thing that didn't work was that to check balance of my data plan the commands begin with *2xxx - and the phone assumed it was *2 to sprint - so never went through. That's why I needed to either chat, email or call BTC.  While I did use wifi plans (Bahamas wimax) when able, while cruising in the area, in 3 weeks of  using the phone's data plan I had remaining over 900 mb right before I left.. 

The world-phone aspect was one of my primary reasons for choosing the XPRT and it totally fulfilled my requirements.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-05-24, 22:49 PM

loveh2o said:

View original

Thanks so much for letting us know that the XPRT works just fine in the Bahamas. :)

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms