Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XPRT™
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

08-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 21 of 35

Re: Does anyone encounter issues with google maps?

2012-01-18, 16:48 PM

i've had the exact google maps problem but in the google navigation.  are the maps & navigation linked or tied to each other in some way?  I've noticed that my google navigation has slowed down or lagged since the system update

Options

4740 Posts

06-19-2010

United States of America

101 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 22 of 35

2012-01-20, 0:52 AM

Just wanted to check in and see if there has been any head way with this issue?

I know Google has pushed out a couple of updates since this was first posted.

Thanks,

J

Options

15 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 23 of 35

2012-01-26, 18:38 PM

I'll chime in here and concur that yes, I have issues with Google Maps.  I think it's been like this for a few weeks/months.  It has been slow and often tries to search for an address that I'm touching instead of just moving the screen/map as I try to drag it around.  And last night, I suspect it bricked my phone.  That's the real reason I'm here, so now I'm off to try to figure out how to get my phone working again...

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 24 of 35

2012-01-26, 22:03 PM

mitch_s said:

I'll chime in here and concur that yes, I have issues with Google Maps.  I think it's been like this for a few weeks/months.  It has been slow and often tries to search for an address that I'm touching instead of just moving the screen/map as I try to drag it around.  And last night, I suspect it bricked my phone.  That's the real reason I'm here, so now I'm off to try to figure out how to get my phone working again...

Going to the Sprint store?  

Please let us know if they are able to resolve your "bricked phone."  

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

15 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 25 of 35

2012-01-26, 22:36 PM

eaccents,

I successfully performed a hard reset as detailed over in the "Tips and Tricks" forum (link below).  Thanks!  It was tricky because I had to take the battery out for quite a while, ~15 min., to get the phone to fully turn off.  Now I'm going through the process of reinstalling several of my more useful apps.  This has been something of a blessing in disguise--it forced me to add only the apps that I know I'll use.  I haven't updated Google Maps yet though!  Don't know when I'll have the courage to do that...

btw, I don't know if 'bricked' is technically the proper term, but it seems accurately to describe what happened--my phone essentially turned into a brick. 

Also btw, the error messages I saw on the Android-bot startup screen were:

E: can't open /cache/recovery/command

E: can't open /cache/recovery/caller

So the phone actually failed initially to perform a factory reset until I first wiped the cache, which was an option at Android-bot screen.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/871f5a0663?post=871f5a0663&start=11

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 26 of 35

2012-01-28, 4:01 AM

mitch_s said:

eaccents,

I successfully performed a hard reset as detailed over in the "Tips and Tricks" forum (link below).  Thanks!  It was tricky because I had to take the battery out for quite a while, ~15 min., to get the phone to fully turn off.  Now I'm going through the process of reinstalling several of my more useful apps.  This has been something of a blessing in disguise--it forced me to add only the apps that I know I'll use.  I haven't updated Google Maps yet though!  Don't know when I'll have the courage to do that...

btw, I don't know if 'bricked' is technically the proper term, but it seems accurately to describe what happened--my phone essentially turned into a brick. 

Also btw, the error messages I saw on the Android-bot startup screen were:

E: can't open /cache/recovery/command

E: can't open /cache/recovery/caller

So the phone actually failed initially to perform a factory reset until I first wiped the cache, which was an option at Android-bot screen.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/871f5a0663?post=871f5a0663&start=11

@mitch

Thanks for the update, and I am glad that your device seems to be working again.

I am curious:  how did you determine that it took 15+ minutes for the phone to power off?  

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

15 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 27 of 35

2012-01-29, 13:25 PM
 @eaccents,
When my phone beacame unresponsive/bricked, it did so in an odd zombie state such that trying to reset it via the power button didn't work, but pulling the batterty natually caused it to 'reset,' but it would boot right back to its original locked-up (and wicked hot) state. The phone would immediately start its startup process if I inserted the battery too soon. The battery had to out for ~15 min. To allow me to start the phone manually and have control of the unique key combination to bring me to the Android bot screen and allow me to perform the factory reset.

Note that even when I left the battery out overnight, the phone still booted up into its locked up state. So in brief, keeping the battery out a long time required me to push the power button to start theboot process; i if I inserted the bafffffttery Hope that t made some tsense: I'm typing this on my XPRT, which does not like entering text in this f

Screw it, I'm going to try this again on my computer...
Options

15 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 28 of 35

2012-01-29, 16:01 PM

Sorry about that--let me try this again on my computer:

@eaccents,

When my phone beacame unresponsive/bricked, it did so in an odd zombie state such that trying to reset it via the power button didn't work, but pulling the batterty natually caused it to 'reset,' but it would boot right back to its original locked-up (and wicked hot) state. The phone would immediately begin its startup process if I inserted the battery too soon. The battery had to out for ~15 min. to allow me to start the phone manually and have control of the unique key combination to bring me to the Android bot screen and allow me to perform the factory reset.

Note that even when I left the battery out overnight, the phone still booted up into its locked up state.

So in brief, keeping the battery out a long time required me to push the power button to start the bootup process; i if I inserted the battery after <15 min., then it would immediately start to boot up when the battery was inserted.

(Anybody else find it very difficult to post here on your XPRT?!)

Mitch

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 29 of 35

2012-01-29, 18:50 PM

@mitch

Thanks for the clarification.  Smile  I was curious because I do know that there is a certain period of time after one pulls the battery out that should go by in order for "residual" power to dissipate.  I had been told that 5 min was enough, so I was intrigued when you stated that you had to wait 15 minutes.

The new forums are not very mobile friendly...yet.  Mark (forums manager) is pushing his team to get to that point so that Users will have a better experience posting from their phones and/or having the option to comment using "reply by email" (the feature that I miss most from the old forums!).  

Options

128 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 30 of 35

2012-05-17, 5:22 AM

Wanted to see if anyone else is still having problems with Google Maps - running sluggish and causing reboots.  I've had 3 reboots while running Maps in the last few days.  I've got App Cache Cleaner running but still have the issue.  Maps will run for a little while then become slow to unresponsive - most of the time I'll get the option to wait or to force close; a few times I've had to pull the battery to clear it up.   It's been a while (Jan) since there were any postings here but it's been an on going issue for some time. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms