Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XPRT™
All Forum Topics
Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: XPRT Overheats

2012-01-20, 20:06 PM

eisendave said:

Yesterday morning I installed advanced task killer free v.1.9.7 from ReChild in the Appstore and set it to auto kill "safe" level when the screen is off and have seen a dramatic improvement.  The phone is no longer feeling warm.  The battery lasted from 6am till 4pm yesterday. From 5:30am to 11:30am the battery was only down to 40% when I plugged it in at my desk.  I'll keep going with this idea and be sure to carry my charger with me for now.

Thanks for all the advice.

@dave

I am glad that things are working better.  I am concerned that you installed ATK because the Motorola phones come with their own pre-installed, Motorola oriented Task Manager app.  ATK duplicates this function and from my own understanding it is geared towards older, less efficient Android OS.

If you want to kill apps, I advise you to utilize the pre-installed Task Manager app.

I also recommend the following apps to save battery:

Juice Defender by Latedroid (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.juicedefender&hl=en) - the free version works just fine, but I went and purchased Juice Defender Plus to get automated WiFi control ... I have since switched to the Llama app which has more user control

Llama - Location Profiles by KebabApps (here:  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5rZWJhYi5MbGFtYSJd) - free, does require more user input in terms of setting up the profiles but I have mine to do battery saving actions like

• turn WiFi on/off when I get to work

• turn WiFi on/off when I leave work

• turn WiFi on/off when I get to home

• turn WiFi on/off when I leave home

• notify me when battery gets to XX level

• turn off bluetooth when my earpiece is no longer connected for 1 minute

• turn mobile data on when WiFi turns off (based on the at home/leave home and at work/leave work events)

• this app has a lot more functionality than what I use it for, but for now it does the trick of turning my radios on/off 

Normally, the biggest battery drains for smartphones are

• powering the screen - so set the the screen to turn off as quickly as you can tolerate

• WiFi radio stays on - if on it constantly searches to make a connection (which uses battery), so if you can create profiles to turn it on and off when you need it, you will save a lot of battery

• bluetooth radio stays on - turn bluetooth off when not in use; when you do use bluetooth, remember that you are powering an additional radio and it will result in faster battery drain

• mobile data on with a runaway app - if your 3G/4G data runs constantly, then you have a runaway app (app that doesn't turn off when it should); I used to have a shopping app that once I turned it on, it would run data constantly so that the phone heated up, the battery drained within a couple of hours, and all other functions on the phone were bogged down because this one app tied up all my resources; only way to stop that runaway app was to power down.  It was a great iOS app, but it sucked on Android so I had to uninstall it.

• weak cellular connection - the phone struggles to get connected to the cellular network, so it uses more power to gain far-reaching signals

Hope this helps! Smile
Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 12 of 18

2012-01-20, 20:12 PM

@dave

Can you check to see if you have this feature enabled?

• menu>>>settings>>>data manager>>>data delivery>>>social applications, sync over WiFi only

What this does is to limit the social apps (like Facebook and its like) to sync when you are in WiFi only.  This will help in terms of data speed and the amount of data you run on the cellular network.  It will also help with your battery life.

I believe that you can manually sync the social apps via cellular data with this setting...it just limits the automatic syncs to WiFi only.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

33 Posts

07-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 13 of 18

2012-01-21, 20:50 PM

@eaccents

1) I did nto have the sync over WiFi Only feature enabled for social apps and have done that

2) I used the Task Manager that came w/ the device on my first XPRT, but found it didn't work all that well.  Any advice on how to best set this up?

3) I will try the Juice Defender app you suggested.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 14 of 18

2012-01-21, 21:09 PM

@dave

I used the Task Manager that came w/ the device on my first XPRT, but found it didn't work all that well.  Any advice on how to best set this up?

Does the Task Manager not do what you set it to do (functionally unreliable) or does it not have enough features (not robust enough) to do what you want it to do?  

Can you give us some specific examples of what you want to do where the Task Manager doesn't fit the bill?

When I first tried Juice Defender, I noticed a difference right away just using the default settings.  Get to know the app and you can start to tweak it for more personalization (which is why I eventually bought the Juice Defender Plus for $2).  The more advanced you get in understanding battery usage and the way you use your phone, the closer you can get to creating profiles of what you want on/off and when.  By then, you may want to start using Llama.  Smile

Please let us know how things go with the Sync over WiFi only setting and the addition of JD.

Options

33 Posts

07-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 15 of 18

2012-01-26, 2:00 AM

@eaccents

My problem w/ the task manager is that it never seems to make a difference.  I routinely would get 100% CPU usage alert and open task manager to find nothing hogging CPU.  I added all apps to the "auto-end list" that I feel should be turned off, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. I haven't been able to figure out what prompts the 100% usage alert.  The first XPRT I had was replaced for this problem--the sprint tech couldn't figure it out at the store. This was back in October.

My current XPRT worked well for a while (maybe 1 month) and is having similar issues now.  I disabled the task manager notification because I was tired of seeing it knowing it didn't change performance.

Juice Defender Plus has clearly made a huge improvement in my battery life, but I don't like the performance of the phone. It might be because I'm still figuring out the app, but the phone is too slow to re-establish a 3G or WiFi connection in my opinion.  And, when it does re-establish it is very sluggish for a few minutes while it is downloading new messages.  As I've said before I am a VERY heavy email user and find that when I have 20+ emails being downloaded via corporate sync I can't even write a text or look up a contact let alone make a phone call. 

my new solution is I bought a 2nd battery on Amazon for $15 and hope to be able to just pop in another battery rathern than compromise performance with juice defender.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 16 of 18

2012-01-26, 21:33 PM

eisendave said:

@eaccents

My problem w/ the task manager is that it never seems to make a difference.  I routinely would get 100% CPU usage alert and open task manager to find nothing hogging CPU.  I added all apps to the "auto-end list" that I feel should be turned off, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either. I haven't been able to figure out what prompts the 100% usage alert.  The first XPRT I had was replaced for this problem--the sprint tech couldn't figure it out at the store. This was back in October.

My current XPRT worked well for a while (maybe 1 month) and is having similar issues now.  I disabled the task manager notification because I was tired of seeing it knowing it didn't change performance.

Juice Defender Plus has clearly made a huge improvement in my battery life, but I don't like the performance of the phone. It might be because I'm still figuring out the app, but the phone is too slow to re-establish a 3G or WiFi connection in my opinion.  And, when it does re-establish it is very sluggish for a few minutes while it is downloading new messages.  As I've said before I am a VERY heavy email user and find that when I have 20+ emails being downloaded via corporate sync I can't even write a text or look up a contact let alone make a phone call. 

my new solution is I bought a 2nd battery on Amazon for $15 and hope to be able to just pop in another battery rathern than compromise performance with juice defender.

@dave

I definitely understand that the "work-arounds" have their pitfalls, and that depending upon the way you use the device they may not be viable solutions for you.

I hope the extra battery solution allows you to use the device in the way that you want to use it. Cool

Options

34 Posts

08-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2012-04-19, 15:44 PM

i've been experiencing this issue too.  only recently did i realize that the phone was getting hot -- only the top half of the phone (where the screen is front and back side -- not the keyboard area).  after reading this discussion, i realized that my AOL email i've been getting the orange symbol with the " ! ".  i am guessing the phone is over heating due to this issue. 

what does that symbol mean and how do i fix it so that the AOL email is fixed and the phone does not overheat?

do i need to unhook my email account and rehook it up?

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 18 of 18

2012-04-19, 18:40 PM

cheezykiwi said:

i've been experiencing this issue too.  only recently did i realize that the phone was getting hot -- only the top half of the phone (where the screen is front and back side -- not the keyboard area).  after reading this discussion, i realized that my AOL email i've been getting the orange symbol with the " ! ".  i am guessing the phone is over heating due to this issue. 

what does that symbol mean and how do i fix it so that the AOL email is fixed and the phone does not overheat?

do i need to unhook my email account and rehook it up?

Orange triangle with the "!" in it means some kind of error, and thankfully you at least know it is your AOL mail.

Try reconfiguring the AOL account and see if this clears up your error.

More than likely, the phone is encountering an issue, and just keep re-trying (thereby causing battery drain and also processor overheating).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms