Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Older Devices ArchiveMOTOROLA XPRT™
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

08-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 14

multiple texts

2012-01-18, 16:53 PM

does anyone else have a random problem of getting the same text message multiple times?  this happened to me last night/this morning.  the same text coming from the same person came to me atleast 6 times at random times.  i shut down my phone and turned it back on only to receive the same message again, but also new messages.

i'm thinkin this has something to do with the phone itself or the service?  it seems like the texts are getting 'stuck' somewhere in 'text-message land' and it's not being delivered immediately or accurately.

this has happened to me maybe 3-4 times in the past few months but seems to 'fix' itself after a while.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Views: 2684
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: multiple texts

2012-01-19, 19:25 PM

@cheezy

I have been told that repeat SMS is usually a tower issue.  The tower does not recognize that the SMS went through, so it will send it again (and again, and again...)

Please report this to your carrier, and if you can, give them the time that this occurred and location of your device so that they can pinpoint which tower you were using.  Carriers that can address it quickly will fix within a day or so....they usually wait to update the tower when usage is slowest, so nothing happens for at least a day.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

34 Posts

08-02-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2012-01-23, 17:15 PM

thank you for your response!  wasn't sure if it was my phone or not.  since it may be a tower issue, i'll just deal with it.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2012-01-24, 1:43 AM

cheezykiwi said:

thank you for your response!  wasn't sure if it was my phone or not.  since it may be a tower issue, i'll just deal with it.

Please notify Sprint with time and location when these repeat text messages appear.  It will help them to locate which tower needs updating so that the issue can hopefully be put to rest for that particular tower Cool

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
Options

128 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2012-01-24, 16:27 PM

I too have had this same problem and have to pull the battery to stop it.  Been told that turning the phone off (airplane mode) should do the trick as well.  The tower nearest to me has had upgrades but being on the edge of that towers coverage have begun using an Airwave to boost the signal.  The problem has also happened in area where I get a good strong signal as well.    I like this phone except for this problem and the random resets that have happened as well.

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2012-01-24, 18:09 PM

@rr

Are you still posting in the Random Reboot thread for the XPRT?  Please continue to post there so we know to keep working on it!

Options

128 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2012-01-24, 18:20 PM

I've had a few but not to the extent it was before.  There seem to be no common things that happened prior to the reset which makes it hard to pin point what the cause may be.  I'll keep an eye on it and let you know. 

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2012-01-24, 18:38 PM

rrquintanilla said:

I've had a few but not to the extent it was before.  There seem to be no common things that happened prior to the reset which makes it hard to pin point what the cause may be.  I'll keep an eye on it and let you know. 

@rr

That'd be great.  If you would post updates in the XPRT reboot thread that'd be best too.  We'd like to get you to the point where you can truly enjoy the device Smile

If you check the XPRT Random Reboot thread, see if Mark (forum manager) included any instructions for sending logs in to Motorola.  If he did, I strongly suggest following those instructions as the logs will give Moto a very detailed description of what your phone is doing just prior to the reboot.  For those with random reboots in the Photon, it was discovered that many users with the reboot problem had HAC mode enabled (in call settings).  Disabling the HAC mode helped to clear up the rebooting for some.  Others found that formatting their SD card using the XPRT (because each phone sets the partition on the SD card differently) fixed their reboots.  

Options

128 Posts

08-11-2011

United States

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2012-02-09, 6:37 AM

@ eaccents -

The multiple/repeating text issue started again.  Putting here instead of the reboot thread.  Right now I can recieve text but can not send them.  Will try turning phone off (airplane mode) for a bit to see if that's going to stop it but make me wonder about the signal strenght issue that may have been the possible cause before.  The Airvnana is up and running, full bars on the the phone, signal (-64).  I'll let you know how that works.  Should I take it back to a Sprint (again).  I'm going to back up everything since thier first fix attempt is usually a hard reset.   thx   richard

Options

13997 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

322 Signins

2684 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2012-02-09, 20:18 PM

@richard

Try updating your profile and your PRL (in menu>>>settings>>>about phone).  This will re-register your phone on the Sprint Network and update your preferred roaming list.

Also, can you tell us what your settings are in the mobile networks (menu>>>settings>>>wireless & network settings>>>mobile networks) section?

You should also take note of when and where you are when text messages seem to duplicate or get hung up and report this to Sprint.  This will tell Sprint which tower you were on when it happened ... repeating text messages is typically a tower issue.  Not being able to text at all is likely something else ....

Also, did this inability to send text messages start after trying to send an MMS message?  Did you ever see a pop-up message that said "do you want a delivery confirmation?"

Last, are you using Handcent or the stock messaging app?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms