Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cousteau
Punch Card
Views: 965
Message 1 of 5

Is the Mirage solo idea dying?

I bought my Lenovo mirage solo the moment it was launched and I have used it every day! I like high end vr like the Vive and Oculus but it is like a fantastic but huge desktop computer. In the end, you still do most surfing on a small smartphone. 

And stand alone vr is just like a smartphone. Not as great as high end VR but so available and easy!

What makes me sad is that daydream and all developers seems to have abandoned this. It is the same feeling like if we stopped making smartphones and we had to go back using nokia again. And everyone sad, but we still have these huge bulky super expensive desktop computers and they are so much faster and better then a smartphone, so whats the problem??

Will Lenovo update to see through soon???

are there any hopes for new apps? or is this stand alone headset about to die?

Bridgebrain
What's DOS?
Views: 559
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is the Mirage solo idea dying?

I think the only real hope this platform has is for someone to build a custom kernal from scratch for it. The hardware is amazing, but the software has a lot of untapped potential. I'm planning to use it as my build project for learning java, but that'll take a year or two, so hopefully someone else comes up with something first

Cousteau
Punch Card
Views: 545
Message 3 of 5

I have allready ordered a Oculus Quest now. It will arrive in a few days. Oculus Quest is the headset I hoped Mirage solo would be. 

Wrecche
Fanfold Paper
Views: 100
Message 4 of 5

I agree, I'm hoping that someone does build custom firmware for this, and soon. There are just so many things wrong with this vanilla firmware, and it's obvious no one is going to resolve the problems from an official standpoint.
I think we've just been used to test run future hardware, and make them a tidy profit for that endeavour in the process... for all this has the potential to do, the limited way in which it's been sold is ridiculous.
Highlighted
Bridgebrain
What's DOS?
Views: 84
Message 5 of 5

Funny timing on replying! I got to talk to a lenovo rep at an event recently about the whole daydream debacle. They seem pretty open to someone doing it, especially since they're making a new HMD with in-house android software soon. I'm working on Java next semester, and could probably pull together a local core group to help. I'll keep this board posted if that starts happening, and anyone who has any idea of what they're doing in java and an interest in this should PM me. We'll need coders at every level.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors