01-22-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 9

Files can't be deleted from the E5.

2020-01-22, 17:20 PM

I've been having some trouble deleting files off of my phone today. I try to delete them, but they just come right back with an error message saying it couldn't be deleted. I've tried rebooting it, force stopping and restarting Photos, deleting the files from the phone's settings, accessing the files through a computer to delete files from there, removing the SD card and putting it back, turning Photos' sync off, and nothing has worked so far. I know some suggest for this issue to delete photos from the gallery rather than Photos, but my phone doesn't have a gallery app. Just Photos. And the issue is affecting other files other than just pictures. Additionally the SD card is telling me that it "can't save screenshot due to limited storage space" when I go to take a screenshot, but the phone says that only 13.6GB/64GB are being used. I'd really like to avoid a factory reset if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Options

1953 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1748 Signins

26878 Page Views

• Views: 26878
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Files can't be deleted from the E5.

2020-01-22, 18:14 PM

Try a different File manager on the phone. I use this one,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cxinventor.file.explorer&hl=en_GB

Look for a file called LOST.DIR and if found open it and you can delete all the files in there as they are redundant.

Non of the above is relevant if the SD card has been used as Internal adoptive storage.

HTH :)

Options

1 Posts

11-07-2017

CA

3 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 3 of 9

2020-02-08, 16:37 PM

I have the same issue yet I have the SD card formatted to my e5 play. Can't delete certain files like tencent, whisper, w, and telegram, and I too can't take a screenshot without an error. Any tips on what to do then? I've also tried an SD card cleaner app only to get the same error and no files deleted. 

Options

1953 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1748 Signins

26878 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2020-02-08, 16:55 PM

wrote:

I have the same issue yet I have the SD card formatted to my e5 play. Can't delete certain files like tencent, whisper, w, and telegram, and I too can't take a screenshot without an error. Any tips on what to do then? I've also tried an SD card cleaner app only to get the same error and no files deleted. 

Is the SD card formatted at Internal or Portable?

Options

1 Posts

11-07-2017

CA

3 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2020-02-08, 17:08 PM

It says I can format to portable so I'm assuming internal. This is my first Moto phone. 

Options

1953 Posts

10-16-2018

GB

1748 Signins

26878 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-02-08, 18:43 PM

wrote:

It says I can format to portable so I'm assuming internal. This is my first Moto phone. 

That looks right. I and others on here don't like this,"internal/Adoptive" memory option as it has flaws/restrictions. If the SD card is software ejected or becomes physically detached from the phone by a slight bad contact even for a second the data on the SD card can become corrupted causing problems like you are having. This is not Lenovo/Motorola's fault but Google Android not making a secure option for this form of implementation.

I hope there's nothing on the card that you need or want to save as it may be gone and why it's prudent to backup all important things on a Smart phone on a regular basis. The most common things people lose are photos but if you/we use the free Google Photos,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_GB

It will keep copies of all the photos on the phone safe on the cloud and you can see them in the app or on any device by connecting to,

https://photos.google.com

where you can share them and manipulate them.

You can choose the option on the phone to reformat it as External and use it as normal with luck but you will lose everything on it. If this is OK go ahead and do this and let me know if you can now use the SD card as normal.

Options

1 Posts

11-07-2017

CA

3 Signins

11 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-02-09, 15:30 PM

All my games and images r still there so it didn't remove anything. Which is good. Just dunno y none of those apps meant to clear SD card space is giving me the same error as the default files app. 

Options

1 Posts

06-04-2020

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 8 of 9

Re:Files can't be deleted from the E5.

2020-06-04, 23:50 PM
When i take a picture or screenshot it will take it but then the picture disappears and I get one of two messages, 1. Free up space.........2. Restart camera....... when I go to free up space it either won't allow me too or it does and I do delete some things but it doesn't fix the problem, and I have no idea how to restart my camera. I have tried rebooting my phone several times and nothing. I do NOT have an SD card . I am also having a issue with not being able to send or receive pictures through txts, I disabled my messages app and then reenabled it fixes the problem for a few hrs to maybe a day then goes right back to not working, also does NOT allow me to delete any photos from my phone. What could b causing these problems and how can i fix it??????? Thx, JLangley
Options

2148 Posts

03-11-2019

US

604 Signins

43615 Page Views

• Views: 43615
  • Message 9 of 9

Re:Files can't be deleted from the E5.

2020-06-05, 15:43 PM

Hi JLangley,

Try booting your phone in Safe mode and try deleting the files from there.

To Enable Safe Mode:

1.  Press the Power key
2.  Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen.
3.  Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears
4.  Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner
5.  If the issue is resolved in safe mode, the cause appears to be a 3rd party app.
6.  Simply power cycle the device to disable safe mode, and then go through the process of trying to identify and removing the problem application.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete