Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMoto E5 / Moto E5 Plus / Moto E5 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-29-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 17

My moto e5 play screen has started freezing and become non responsive, ever more frequently.

2019-04-29, 21:43 PM

The touch screen of my e5 Play has begun freezing and becomes non-responsive.  And it is happening more frequently.   Each time, I have to reboot by holding the power button down...  As soon as it reboots, it is good to go again...   So, it seems to be a glitch in software..    The phone has not been dropped or anything.  So, I am a bit confused about why or how to get it to stop doing it.  Any ideas.   As info, I am running in safe mode, for now, to see if it freezes.  BUT, since it happens at random moments, I don't know how long to keep it in safe mode...and in that mode, most of the apps don't work...so it sort of limits what the phone is used for!

Options

367 Posts

10-12-2012

United States of America

901 Signins

22073 Page Views

• Views: 22073
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: My moto e5 play screen has started freezing and become non responsive, ever more frequently.

2019-04-29, 23:56 PM

The benefit of using safe mode is that it disables all non-factory apps.  First, clear the cache memory to see if that itself fixes your sluggish display issue. If your trouble continues, boot the phone into safe mode and enable just one 3rd party app at a time to see if it is causing the problem. When you find a bad one, delete it from your phone; shut off and restart the phone; then move on to the next suspicious app.

Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Views: 62255
  • Message 3 of 17

Re: My moto e5 play screen has started freezing and become non responsive, ever more frequently.

2019-05-01, 17:51 PM

Hi Pgk1,

Thank you for posting. How long have you tried to use the phone during safe mode? Does it still freeze? If not, I would suggest removing 3rd party apps until the phone does not freeze anymore. You can uninstall apps by: 

1. Touch Apps 
  2. Touch Play Store 
  3. Touch Menu 
  4. Touch My apps & games
  5. Touch the application that you want to remove
  6. Touch Uninstall, then confirm by touching OK

You can also uninstall apps on settings by going to apps. Then touch and hold the selected app, then drag it to Uninstall.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2019-05-02, 15:02 PM

Thanks for your replies... I had to restart the phone, in order to get some info from my notes app, but it hadn't frozen up to that point while in safe mode.   So, I tried erasing the cashe in all of the apps, which freed up a lot of memory as well. Unfortunately, it ran longer, but the screen did freeze.  

Since I wasn't sure it had been in safe mode long enough, before going back thru each app cashe or attempting a cashe partition wipe, I put it into safe mode for a longer time.  Unfortunately, that time the screen did freeze, while in safe mode. The phone had been in my pocket, screen facing my leg.  So the screen was warm, to body temp.  However, as usual, it worked perfectly, after the reboot.

Since it froze in safe mode, and I may have missed clearing a preloaded App's cashe, I am going to redo the App cashe clearing...  Beyond that, I am not sure what to do.

Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2019-05-02, 15:29 PM

Hi Pgk1,

When the phone freezes what other things have you noticed? Is the phone heating when the screen freezes? Have you checked if there are multiple apps running in the background? You may try resetting your app preferences as well. This will reset the previous setup you made in the apps, to do it just apply these steps on your phone. Go to Settings > Select Apps > Swipe your finger to the left > Select all app > Select options (3 dots icon) > Select Reset Apps Preferences. After that, please restart the device. Please tell me how it goes. 

Best regards,

Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

04-29-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

37 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2019-05-02, 18:10 PM

I have not noticed anything directly just before it freezes... however, I am pretty sure that I either have picked it up, or taken it from my pocket, to use it or answer it, only to find the screen non-responsive my touch.   As you can imagine, it is very frustrating, to pick it up to use it, only to have to reboot it!   

However, I have noticed 2 things recently, that the phone is doing, which doesn't make sense.   

1st is that while using the keyboard, the wrong letter has been popping up a lot...  (I have large hands, so some are just me. But sometimes, I am convinced that the screen is not picking up the right spot I touched...  I have sent numerous texts that I was editing, because it thought I hit send, when I was actually just trying to get to the last of the line...)

2nd, I have taken a photo of my lawn mower model/serial plate, so I could get the right part at a local mower shop.  But, even though I have confirmed the saved photo response.  I cannot find the photo, on the phone...  Note - I have the Google photos app sync turned off... So, the photo should be on the phone, but it is not.

I am going to try to get that photo again. And make sure it get to the file images...

(PS...it just took me several attempts to select words from the Google suggestions bar, just now, for the last few sentences...  For example the word "Google" came out totally messed up as "Googoo" even though I had typed "goo" and clearly chosen "Google" as my selection...  Googoo wasn't even an option offered! Something wierd is going on with that.)

***Also, my let two post replies have come back saying that an invalid html was included and removed from the post, requesting me to verify the edited text.  I've done nothing but type the reply... So,this time I am adding this footnote***

Options

4519 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

782 Signins

62255 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2019-05-02, 19:27 PM

Hi Pgk1,

Thank you for your reply. It is pretty odd for the screen of the phone to be freezing especially if the phone was recently picked. If resetting app preferences and Safe mode does not work, I suggest doing a factory reset without restoring apps.

For the keyboard, is your auto correction on your keyboard disabled? To disable Auto Correction open your keyboard > tap the gear icon (you may need to switch to the numbers keypad or special characters keypad for the gear icon to show up) > Tap "Text Correction" > then Disable Auto Correction. 

For the pictures, have you tried checking the Camera folder in your file manager? You can access that folder by opening your file manager > Internal Storage/SD card > DCIM > Camera. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Options

1 Posts

06-07-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 17

Re:My moto e5 play screen has started freezing and become non responsive, ever more frequently.

2020-06-07, 2:55 AM
I have read everyone's post several times, I don't understand how what I don't understand is how am I supposed to do any of things everyone is saying to try when my screen is froze. I can't maneuver at all. Please help, its beyond frustrating. Im never getting another moto again
Options

5 Posts

06-07-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 9 of 17

Re:My moto e5 play screen has started freezing and become non responsive, ever more frequently.

2020-06-07, 12:24 PM

Hi there,

Since a week or so i have the same problem. Suddenly the phone was rebooting itself over and over again and then starts frozen. Tryed several options with power button and sound low key but screen seems te start upa  bit but then frozen. 

Options

132 Posts

09-11-2019

United States of America

56 Signins

2530 Page Views

• Views: 2530
  • Message 10 of 17

2020-06-09, 15:33 PM

Hi John Jon and Taurus#48

Thanks for posting. Are you using a certain application when the freezing happens? Do you have enough space on your phone's internal storage? Have you tried restarting your device? Does the issue persists after doing so? For now, we can do some basic troubleshooting that might help resolve the issue. Make sure that you use your recent apps button to close apps you are no longer using. You may also need to check your internal memory, When the internal memory of the phone is full or almost full, you may experience a sluggish user interface, latency when switching menus, or in some cases the display freezing or reboot which is already happening on the device. It is also a good practice to restart the device periodically (at least every 48 hours) to clear out buffers and memory that may lead to intermittent issues. You can also try to boot the device in Safe Mode and see if it helps. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Just power cycle the phone to get back to normal mode. Please let us know how it goes. 

Best regards, 

Mike 

Motorola Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms