US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

New Android phone and obsolete already?

2020-10-12, 20:00 PM

A question before I rate my new Tracfone Moto e5 purchase from last week:

Android security updates have stopped at May 1, 2020, with "Your device is up to date" and MOTO website says phone will receive no further security updates. Is this true? 

Security Updates are important, and if this is true don't you think someone should mention that "the phone is obsolete and no longer supported" and "not secure" facts to potential buyers?

(My year old LG Rebel 4 has received August 1, 2020 update)

Don't get me wrong, I like this phone, but in this day and age of all sorts of security breaches, Lenovo needs to care a little more about customer security...

Options

3410 Posts

02-11-2016

US

3070 Signins

62536 Page Views

• Views: 62536
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:New Android phone and obsolete already?

2020-10-12, 20:31 PM

@ bearsound wrote:

A question before I rate my new Tracfone Moto e5 purchase from last week:

Android security updates have stopped at May 1, 2020, with "Your device is up to date" and MOTO website says phone will receive no further security updates. Is this true? 

Security Updates are important, and if this is true don't you think someone should mention that "the phone is obsolete and no longer supported" and "not secure" facts to potential buyers?

(My year old LG Rebel 4 has received August 1, 2020 update)

Don't get me wrong, I like this phone, but in this day and age of all sorts of security breaches, Lenovo needs to care a little more about customer security...

I totally understand where you're coming from. However, keep in mind that the Moto E5 was released early in 2018. The device is more than 2 years old. The phone is end of life and will no longer get updates. I don't know how much control we have over Tracphone selling this model still, but I'll look into it from my end.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

10-12-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-10-12, 21:45 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I will research future purchases more diligently. 

Luckily will be using this Moto e5 for infrequent and emergency vehicle use.

And a related question:

I read read some time ago that Google planned to use the Play Store to drop Android updates in a quicker more direct and orderly manner than possible for mere companies. 

Is this intention still in the works?

Options

877 Posts

08-15-2020

GB

312 Signins

8185 Page Views

• Views: 8185
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-12, 22:04 PM

@ bearsound wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I will research future purchases more diligently. 

Luckily will be using this Moto e5 for infrequent and emergency vehicle use.

And a related question:

I read read some time ago that Google planned to use the Play Store to drop Android updates in a quicker more direct and orderly manner than possible for mere companies. 

Is this intention still in the works?

On that second question please search online for Google's Project Mainline. 

■ I am not a Motorola/Lenovo Employee. I am a volunteer who happens to be a Moderator. All comments are my own and are not necessarily Motorola/Lenovo's position. ■ Please search the forum before posting. I do not respond to unsolicited PMs ■ Site Rules: https://tinyurl.com/yxlqjnal ■ Site Advice: https://tinyurl.com/yxchoq72 ■ If you post a question and no-one answers it does not mean no-one is thinking about it ■
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete