Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto E PhonesMoto E5 / Moto E5 Plus / Moto E5 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-27-2019

Australia

9 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 17

SD card not recognised

2019-10-27, 9:43 AM

Trying to mount Samsung 32 GB Evo plus SD card in my new Moto E5 16 GB with Android 8. Card is not  being recognised even though I was using it successfully in a Moto G3. Put it back in the G3 reformatted to portable but this did not help. Ideas?

Options

Re: SD card not recognised

2019-10-27, 19:04 PM

wrote:

Trying to mount Samsung 32 GB Evo plus SD card in my new Moto E5 16 GB with Android 8. Card is not  being recognised even though I was using it successfully in a Moto G3. Put it back in the G3 reformatted to portable but this did not help. Ideas?

Once an SD card has been formatted as,"Internal" it's locked to the phone it was formatted on.Try putting it back in the old phone and formatting the SD card as External,then move to new phone and then reformat to Internal on that phone.

Or using a Computer just wipe/format the card on it and then move it to the Phone and format as internal.

HTH :)

Options

4 Posts

10-27-2019

Australia

9 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2019-10-27, 23:57 PM
Options

2019-10-28, 8:49 AM

I hope it's not a hardware fault. See if it's recognized in Safemode.Press the power button ans when the shutdown screen appears long press on it and you should get the option to reboot in Safemode.If it works it usually means there's a app blocking it.

If this is no good I would backup everything on the phone as do a Factory reset but best from,"Recovery mode".

Options

4 Posts

10-27-2019

Australia

9 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2019-10-28, 9:42 AM

I have done a factory reset from safe mode and this did not fix the problem. Card still not recognised.

Options

2019-10-28, 11:15 AM

You might have to take the phone to a Service center or Small local phone shop. However try this.Put a little bit of tape/sellotape square on the back of the SD card as maybe they are not contacting correcty.

Options

2 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 7 of 17

Re:SD card not recognised

2020-03-18, 6:53 AM

Hello, I am not sure whether your problem has been solved, I think you can try the following steps to solve SD card not reading error:

Update card reader driver

• Insert SD Card into your PC’s card reader.
  • Go to Navigate Control Panel SystemDevice ManagerDisk drivers
  • Right-click your USB device and select Uninstall and choose Scan for hardware changes to refresh the drivers.

Hope it still helps.

Options

2020-03-26, 3:20 AM
I have a similar problem, but in my case, a 128G SD card that had been working fine suddenly went missing. I hadn't pulled it out or anything. One day it was doing its job, the next, not. I tried putting in the 32G card from my old phone, and reformatting it. While Settings -> Storage says it is there, none of the other apps seem to think so. Examples: there is a little SD card icon top left of screen; File Manager says it can't find it, etc. The phone is still (just) under warranty, but in this time of Covid-19, where could I take it? Any ideas, anyone?
Options

153 Posts

09-11-2019

United States of America

61 Signins

2735 Page Views

• Views: 2735
  • Message 9 of 17

2020-03-31, 18:08 PM

Hi TimTassie. 

Thanks for posting. If you can see the SD Card icon on the notification tab, the device can recognize it. When you insert your 32 GB SD card for the first time, what did you choose to format it? Did you format it as Portable Storage or Internal Storage? Also, have you tried to format it using a computer? Please share more details and we'll further check. 

Best regards, 

Mike 

Motorola Support

Please do not PM me - if you have issues, search the forums for threads on your topic and post there, or start a new thread. Thanks!
Options

2020-03-31, 23:11 PM
I have tried formatting the 32G SD card as both internal and external. While the Settings->Storage seems to recognise that there is now 48G of storage (when internal), none of the other applications seem to agree. File Manager tells me it can't see an SD card. Camera tells me there is insufficient storage to take photos, WhatsApp won't open photos or videos, and so on.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms