Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stetson2015
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 1 of 7

Battery issue and firmware question

I purchased a Motorola E5 Plus from Metro yesterday, and right from the unboxing the battery level wouldn't change. 

For example, I would lug it in at 70% and charge for an hour. Wouldn't change. Restart it and it reflects the real battery percentage level, and have to redo the process over and over again.

I wiped the cache partition, booted into safemode, and even factory reset. None of it helped..

I'm thinking it could possibly be an issue with the firmware. My question is, can I reflash the stock firmware without voiding my warranty? I'm talking about original Motorola firmware, no third party things such as a custom recovery or ROM. Or would I be forced to unlock the bootloader and root the device to flash official firmware?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 455
Message 2 of 7

Re: Battery issue and firmware question

Everything you've suggested, like rooting, flashing, will void your warranty, and there's nowhere for you to get the image that's legal anyway.

Suggest you look to legitimate warranty options for assistance.

stetson2015
Paper Tape
Views: 437
Message 3 of 7

I was on the phone with Motorolla technical support shortly after this post, and they were willing to send me firmware and the tool, with the risk of loss of warranty.

So obviouslly not illegal.. Smiley Indifferent

Either way, Metro is sending in a replacement because I bought it less than 24 hours ago.

Would be nice to know if this sort of thing is a wide ranging issue with moto devices and software, or if its just a small coincidence I was soo forunate to come across..

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 424
Message 4 of 7

I absolutely do not question your word, but are you absolutely sure you understood the process? I've never heard of the process you describe before, and neither have one or two other MotoXXperts.  Beats me, what's going on here...

stetson2015
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 5 of 7

Yes, I'm absolutely sure, because they said they were more than willing to send me a link to the firmware and tools. I decided to wait for the phone.

It's also 100% legal to use third party on your phone and doesn't violate copyright laws:

https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/27/9622066/jailbreak-unlocked-tablet-smart-tvs-dmca-exemption-libra...

It may also be illegal to void people's warranties under thMagnuson–Moss Warranty Act:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.10

For the layman:   https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yp3nax/jailbreaking-iphone-rooting-android-does-not-void-...

So yes it's 100% legal to flash firmware on a device and voiding a warranty over just rooting a phone is a violation of federal law. Remember, companies don't have the ultimate authority and just because they say it's their policy doesn't make it legal.

stetson2015
Paper Tape
Views: 402
Message 6 of 7

I didn't know all this until I started reading around, but the fact still stands.

Sid1998
Punch Card
Views: 318
Message 7 of 7

i think flashing Stock Firmware wont affect the warranty as u are not unlocking the bootloader and rooting
Top Kudoed Authors