cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil_A
Blue Screen Again
Views: 234
Message 1 of 5

Fingerprint procedure serves no purpose?

Hi, I just started using my standard e5 today.

I registered my fingerprint, and inside 'Config' the security section confirms that there is one fingerprint set up.

When I pick up the idle phone the fingerprint symbol appears and asks me to touch it. I touch, Phone vibrates (acknowledging correct match?), symbol bounces when I take finger off, and then the screen goes black.

Now I push the side button to get the colorful opening screen, swipe up, and now I can draw my entry pattern.

I've noticed that I don't even need to do the fingerprint step at all.. just pick up phone, push button, swipe, enter pattern.

So what's the point of having the fingerprint part of the process?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 197
Message 2 of 5

Re: Fingerprint procedure serves no purpose?

Hi Phil_A,

Thank you for posting. The Fingerprint sensor is can be used to unlock your phone even if your phone is locked with the display turned off. If the phone vibrates and the phone does not unlock when you put your registered finger it could mean that it does not recognize it. Can you try it pressing the finger sensor twice? There should be an error message that the phone cannot recognize the fingerprint. 

You can read more about the fingerprint sensor and how it works here.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Phil_A
Blue Screen Again
Views: 186
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Zeke,

When I touch twice the icon just bounces and the screen stays black.

Very occasionally I get a message in red saying the sensor is dirty.

So next step is to remove the stored fingerprint and start from scratch, right?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 183
Message 4 of 5

Hi Phil_A

Yes, try to remove the registered fingerprint sensor and register a new one. Also, if the phone says the sensor is dirty you can use a dry piece cloth to clean it. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Phil_A
Blue Screen Again
Views: 141
Message 5 of 5

How embarrassing..

All this time I thought the fingerprint symbol on the screen was where I was supposed to touch (and the resulting vibration reinforced that)

Never realized that you can touch the sensor (on the back) from any angle, so no need to have the rear facing you when you unlock it.