Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 294
Message 1 of 8

Led turning off without reason, leaving me in the darkness

Hi,
I bought recently (November 2018) a Motorola E5 plus (3Gb Ram, 32 Gb hard disk etc.). I am quite happy with it (*).

I use led very often to go in the unfinished part of my house (with no electricity).
I have an issue with the torch (the led): sometimes it works fine, but very often it turns automatically off after few seconds (about 20, I estimate).

On the display i can partially read the following error message from MotoActions (in Italian because I use that language):
"Moto Actions mostrata sopra altre app..." = (my translation) "MotoActions shown over other app..."
I can NOT:
- read the full error message, that lasts for 2-3 seconds and it's displayed partially
- touch the error message in order to get more details: when i touch that, it disappears
- take a screenshoot of the message: it disappears when i thouch the screen or anyway, i don't have the time to do that
- set the MotoActions in order to manage the led; I read around that you can create a motoaction for the led torch (vawe 3 times or something like that), but actually I don't have such option in my moto actions.

I also cannot reproduce the issue all the times; i tried different things that should recreate the problem but it seems that when the problem happens, it will happen again whatever I do; if the problem doesn't happen, the led keeps working without problems whatever i do (for example, waving the phone or keeping it motionless).
I tried with and without energy saving settings and similar stuff; it seems not influencing the issue.

My question is if this is a known issue (I found nothing in internet), but also how it's possible that an error message is not readable by the user.
That doesn't allow me to investigate the problem, searching on the internet etc.

(*)and I would buy a second one for my wife, if it would be possible to choose different colours and avoid the risk to go out with my wife's phone...

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 285
Message 2 of 8

Re: Led turning off without reason, leaving me in the darkness

Hi CiaoCiao,

Welcome to Forums,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We request you to try in Safe Mode & observe the time & error details if it appears. 

Click here for Moto E5 Plus Safe Mode steps.

We also request you to share us the Battery usage details Screenshot your device.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 266
Message 3 of 8

In safe mode (in italian I see "Modalità provvisoria" - i think it's the same):
1) I kept the phone in my hands:
- could the problem ber reproduced: yes
- after how long time led turns off: 17 seconds

2) I pu the phone on the table in front of me, with screen "looking at" the table:
- could the problem ber reproduced: no (the led is on for more than 1 minute)
Then I take the phone the led is still on and the screen is locked: no problem.
Then I unlock the screen (with pin):
- the led turns off after about 17 seconds

3) If I use the phone (touching the screen)
- the led keeps working;
Then i don't touch the screen anymore:
- after 17 seconds from the last touch, the led turns off.

It seems related with the screen preparing for standby, or something like that.

17 seconds is approximate, I kept looking at the watch and counted the seconds like that.
I also include the screenshot.

------ EDIT -----

Additional observations
a) I could read the whole error message:

App Moto Actions mostrata sopra altre apps
Se non desideri che l'app Moto Actions utilizzi questa funzione, tocca per aprire le impostazioni e disattivarla

b) If the phone is on the table, parallel to it or with a small angle but the screen is directed to the ceiling) the error message appears but the led is still on.

Update: I cannot reproduce the issue if the moto display option "Schermo attento" is off (the option that does not turn off the screen when you look at your phone, I don't know how is called in english).
Maybe when the camera tries to see my face, the error occurs, maybe the phone does not see my face in case  b) .

Highlighted
CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 201
Message 4 of 8

Any feedback?
Is it a known issue? Can I use Led and "Schermo attento" option at the same time?
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 191
Message 5 of 8

Hi CiaoCiao,

Can you please confirm how often do you see this message? Please send us screenshots with the messages you're seeing on your phone. We'd like to further check this. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 175
Message 6 of 8

I thought i was very precise and detailed describing the issue...
When I touch the screen or a button, the message disappears, so i cannot make a screenshot.
If I don't touch the screen, the message is displayed sometimes for 3 seconds, sometimes for 1 second.
I wrote the text message in my answer, in order to write it all, I spent 20 minutes reproducing the issue for many times.

I was hoping that you were able to reproduce the issue, I wrote with many details how it appears.

How do you call in english that display Action that does not turn off the screen when you look the phone? In Italian it's "schermo attento"
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 129
Message 7 of 8

@CiaoCiao wrote:
I thought i was very precise and detailed describing the issue...
When I touch the screen or a button, the message disappears, so i cannot make a screenshot.
If I don't touch the screen, the message is displayed sometimes for 3 seconds, sometimes for 1 second.
I wrote the text message in my answer, in order to write it all, I spent 20 minutes reproducing the issue for many times.

I was hoping that you were able to reproduce the issue, I wrote with many details how it appears.

How do you call in english that display Action that does not turn off the screen when you look the phone? In Italian it's "schermo attento"

Hi CiaoCiao,

It would be best to bring this to our Authorized Service Center because we are unable to properly evaluate your phone since we cannot see it. Please contact our Service Center for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 103
Message 8 of 8

OK thanks, I was hoping that you can (try to) reproduce the issue on another phone.
I think I can survive with that.

Dankon, kaj ĝis la reskribo
Top Kudoed Authors