Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tech4Tips
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 1 of 5

Moto E5 Cruise (Cricket) not recognizing USB OTG

I have been using my Cricket E5 Cruise for several months now, love it to death. The only real problem I'm having with it is that I can't get it to recognize anything plugged in by USB OTG. I have tried everything from 64 gig SanDisk to 4 gig SanDisk from all known-good devices, through all known-good adapters, cables, etc. 

I read on the website that the E5 Cruise is supposed to be an OTG compliant device, but thus far it's the only phone I have (of modern devices) that is not capable of reading my USB thumb drives. 

What is going on? Since this is my daily driver and I've switched to it for all my business, I really need to get this resolved. 

Thank you for your help! 

Zach 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 282
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto E5 Cruise (Cricket) not recognizing USB OTG

It might just be the Stock File Manager on the phone.I use a great free one from the Playstore that works well with OTG called,"Total Commander",

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ghisler.android.TotalCommander&hl=en_GB

HTH Smiley Happy

Tech4Tips
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 3 of 5

Hello, thank you for responding. I, too, had thought it was a limitation of the built-in "explorer" so I tried Total Commander and even the ES File Explorer (both with various plug-ins) and everything fell short. A Paragon driver "recognized" that something "existed" however it was completely unable to read or even load the device. 

On my other phones however, immediately upon insertion of the device, the built-in browser sprang forth, reading AND writing (just reading would have been sufficient for my needs on the Moto) so I'm quite confused.

I'm thinking about going back to a Samsung Galaxy series phone for Cricket - if they have anything affordable that will continue to work after the 5G roll-out (don't know when that's happening.) 

Zach 

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 268
Message 4 of 5

Has the phone had an OTA Operating system update?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 219
Message 5 of 5

Hi Tech4Tips,

Thank you for posting. Did you receive a notification when you plug in the OTG? Can you test if you can use a mouse via OTG and check if that works? 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support