cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evantish
Paper Tape
Views: 210
Message 1 of 5

Moto E5 Play [T-Mobile] - SIM card is recognized, but can't register on network.

Hello. I recently purchased a used E5 Play that's locked to T-Mobile (my carrier). I did a factory reset, popped in my old SIM card, and powered up. The device indicates that the SIM card is seated properly and being successfully read: shows "T-Mobile" as the network, allows SMS messages through, doesn't show the missing SIM icon or anything like that. However, it does not allow me to register on any data network and indicates "no service".  I logged into T-Mobile's website and it accurately recognized that I changed devices (not sure if that's SIM-related though). 

I browsed through the forum here and found a couple intriguing posts. These two seemed the most relevant:

But, I figured I'd post a message to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues with T-Mobile specifically. Or if, perhaps, I'm just missing something obvious. I'm switching over from 10 years of Samsung phones, so I'm still unfamiliar with Motorola devices.

Thanks,

-Evan

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 137
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto E5 Play [T-Mobile] - SIM card is recognized, but can't register on network.

Hi evantish,

Thanks for posting. Please update your profile with your current phone, carrier and IMEI, this will help me investigate. 

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

evantish
Paper Tape
Views: 127
Message 3 of 5

Re: Moto E5 Play [T-Mobile] - SIM card is recognized, but can't register on network.

I have updated my profile with the data suggested, thanks.

An additional note that I didn't adequately explain earlier. With the SIM card in, I can make wifi-calls and send/receive texts--ONLY THROUGH WIFI. As soon as I am out of wifi range, I lose all connectivity.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 115
Message 4 of 5

Hi evantish,

Thanks for updating the profile and providing the extra information. We suggest getting a new SIM card from T-Mobile. Let us know if that helps.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Highlighted
evantish
Paper Tape
Views: 86
Message 5 of 5

@Zeke:

I got a new SIM and walked through the tech support process with a T-Mobile engineer (via phone) and a rep (in-store), verifying that the new SIM was recognized by the device itself. However, the the device was not able to register on the carrier's network. Not only did it fail to register, it threw and error when attempting to search for a list of available networks. After testing a number of long-shot "tricks" (even on an identical demo-device), it was determined that there's likely a defect or hardware glitch related to some networking component in this particular phone. I will be returning to seller. I will mark this issue as closed.