08-18-2018 08:32 AM
I just got this phone two days ago. I've seen similar posts for the Moto E4 and G4 phones and have tried all of the fixes listed there including: forget SSID, turn off WiFi, restart phone, turn on/off data saver, turn on/off airplane mode. Fixes work for up to 20 minutes but the problem returns. It is doing this with all WiFi routers. Please advise.
08-20-2018 10:58 AM
Thanks for posting. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.
Need help updating your profile? See here.
08-26-2018 08:31 PM - edited 08-26-2018 09:12 PM
Just got this phone a few days ago and I have the same problem. The wifi constantly disconnects and won't reconnect for a while. Seems this has been a problem plaguing the Motorolla Moto family for a while now. If it wasn't fixed on any of those other phones, I doubt the Moto E5 Play will receive any kind of fix.
08-27-2018 07:39 AM
I'd like to help. Can you please update your profile with your IMEI, the instruction is given above. Also, I'd like to confirm, are you only experiencing this while using a specific app? Can you tell me more about your observations before you encountered this issue? Let me know. Thanks.
08-27-2018 05:49 PM
Hi agent Rich et al
I posted earlier under the name Whythis and have since updated my profile with my serial number per your request. It seems that the phone is scanning for WiFi networks even though I have scanning turned off. When the scan occurs, it briefly says "WiFi disabled" then logs back into the network. The cycle repeats approx every 10-12 seconds on my home router (Technicolor CGM4231MDC, carrier is Mediacom), not on other routers. I also have an older Moto G4 which does not have this problem and hasn't for the past two years.
Let me know if you need any additional details. I haven't done a factory default reset yet.
08-28-2018 08:10 AM
Thanks for further explaining. Can you check if the Wifi notification is enabled? Just go to Settings > Wifi > Tap 3 vertical dots or the gear icon > Disable Wifi Notification. Also, I would recommend booting the phone into safe mode to make sure this is not an app causing an issue.
To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Let me know. Thanks.
08-28-2018 08:51 AM
I'll check all of that and get back to you later. One thing I do notice is that my phone is always stable on 5ghz connections. My home router is only allowing me on the 2.4ghz band and that's the one that keeps dropping. I need to call Mediacom and ask them to give me access to the 5ghz band which I think they configured for use with another device in the house.
08-29-2018 07:40 AM
Thanks for your further observation. May I know what's the make and model of your Wifi? Also please send me a BUG report so we can further investigate. Do you have MAC too, if so, we can get a sniffer log on that. Let me know.
BUG REPORT FOR WIFI ISSUE
1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.
Please make sure to turn off developer options after you create the report, otherwise it can cause issues on the phone with the additional logged being enabled in the background
11-20-2018 01:36 AM
Thanks for posting.Do you stlll face the problem?Could you submit a bugreport to us to analysis the problem.I would appreciate it very much if you provide an emal or you can contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org).Thanks!
11-20-2018 07:04 AM
Our home router was a dual band router and Mediacom did not set up the 5ghz side for use by personal devices. My phone would log in the 2.4 side and detect that there was a 5 GHz possibility, logout but fail to connect. Once Mediacom set the 5ghz side to be used by all devices, the problem disappeared. I can log in on either channel and not lose connection.
Thank you for your help!