Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IK1978
Paper Tape
Views: 944
Message 1 of 14

Moto e5 Play not sending or receiving group messages - mms turned on

My daughter’s phone all of a sudden won’t send or receive group messages. I have checked her settings and mms is turned on. She thinks it’s because we’re close to the end of our data limit, but mine and my husbands still work and we are all on the same plan. Individual texts work. Any help would be appreciated!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 906
Message 2 of 14

Re: Moto e5 Play not sending or receiving group messages - mms turned on

Hi IK1978,

Thank you for posting. Is your daughter's phone using the stock messaging app? Also, can you test if it can send and receive an MMS message from one person only? 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

IK1978
Paper Tape
Views: 859
Message 3 of 14

Yes, the stock app. She is able to send and receive individual messages. She cannot send or receive group messages. The messages all say not sent or won’t download.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 847
Message 4 of 14

Hi IK1978,

You mentioned she is able to send and receive messages, you mean MMS messages? You can try to reset your network settings by going to Settings > Backup & Reset > Network Settings Reset > Reset Settings. Reboot the phone and test your network. This will also reset your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings as well. Let us know if it helps. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

IK1978
Paper Tape
Views: 839
Message 5 of 14

Yes, she just sent me a picture and it came through fine.

if we reset, will everything she has on her phone be erased? Thanks!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 836
Message 6 of 14

Hi IK1978,

Thank you for the confirmation. Resetting your network settings will not delete everything on her phone it will just put the network settings back to default. However, this will delete/forget all Bluetooth paired devices and saved Wi-Fi connections. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

IK1978
Paper Tape
Views: 811
Message 7 of 14

Well, I just reset her settings. Restarted the phone. Still won’t send a group message. Very frustrating since this is the one feature we really need her to have. Any other ideas? 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 793
Message 8 of 14

Hi IK1978,

Did your daughter notice any changes in the application or switched to a different phone before the issue started? Also, can you send us a screenshot of the Advanced settings of the messaging app? You will need to go to Apps > Messages > 3 dot icon located on the top right corner of the screen > Settings > Advanced > Group Messaging then set it to Send an MMS reply to all recipients. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

IK1978
Paper Tape
Views: 786
Message 9 of 14

No changes really. The night before I deleted an app from her phone that was causing a lot of ads, but I’m not sure that is related.

i can send the picture, but I’m sure the setting is set to group messaging. It was the first thing I checked. When I switch that setting, she can send a group text that goes to people individually,  but can’t if it’s one group message the whole group should see. And she can’t receive those either.

Datasource
What's DOS?
Views: 620
Message 10 of 14

I have a similar problem, but more importantly my BRAND NEW, UNALTERED E5 Play - DOES NOT HAVE THE VARIOUS SETTING OPTIONS YOU SUGGEST.   "You will need to go to Apps > Messages > 3 dot icon located on the top right corner of the screen > Settings > Advanced > Group Messaging"

There is NO "3 dot icon"..... nor any offer to adjust settings.

More importantly, I find this A LOT when I read these threads.  Supports give various setting trees, and THEY DON'T EXIST AS YOU RECOMMEND.

Rather than solve my specific message problem, could you explain what's going on?  Does each update change all the trees, or what?  How do I find out what to do with my specific phone?  

Thanks.