02-26-2019 09:18 AM
Thanks for providing the information. I'll raise it to the team. I'll let you know if we need further details and/or if we have an update. Thanks.
02-27-2019 08:30 PM
Is this issue being addressed? I have had the same issue with multiple apps, including Amazon Music and MediaMonkey. They don't seem to find the SD card in the same place and assume it is a new card.
03-31-2019 01:17 AM
Having the same problem with a T-Mobile E5 Plus. After every reboot, the SD Card gets a new name, making several apps incapable of finding data until you repoint the app to the "new" card folder.
System apps (Google Play Music, Camera, etc.) don't seem to have an issue with this, but many third-party apps do. (Many audiobook players such as Smart Audiobook Player, for example.)
04-02-2019 10:44 AM
Thanks for posting. Can you please send a screenshot showing how your SD card gets a new name?
We'll, if I knew "how" it happened I'd stop it!
I think you're asking me to post a screenshot of how I know it's changing, and sadly at the moment I can't, because my wife (it's her phone) is out of town on business for two weeks and I won't have access to her phone until then.
What I'll do instead is show you in an app on my phone (a Moto X4) where the SD card ID shows up (but thankfully doesn't change when rebooting.)
On my phone you'll see the SD card name is nine characters in the format xxxx-yyyy. On my wife's E5 Plus, it's about 30 or 40 in the format aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee. Weirdly, most of the name stays the same after rebooting, but a handful change each time.
No native (Google/Android/Moto) apps seems to notice or care- they just recognize the SD card as "SD Card", but a bunch of third-party apps can't handle it. In my wife's case, the Here We go maps app, "FolderSync" (a file manager that automatically syncs files between folders on device, SD card and or cloud) and Smart Audiobook Reader use the "full" SD card name and all break after each reboot.
There's a thread about this problem (concerning a different device- in this case an HTC) on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/u11-life/help/id-external-sdcard-t3721002/amp/
I'm uploading a screenshot from Here WeGo to show the "real" (to Android) SD card name (but again, this is from my phone with the short xxxx-yyyy name, not the problematic E5 Plus.)
04-05-2019 07:05 AM
Thanks for the screenshot. We recommend formatting the SD card on the phone. Backup the files before resetting the SD card so you won't lose important files.
04-05-2019 07:39 AM
Thanks. As I said, my wife is out of town, so it will be a while before I can try this.
Not to bite the hand that's feeding me, but are you relatively certain this will work, or is this one of those "try factory resetting your phone" Hail Mary pass ideas that doesn't actually fix the problem, but just creates a ton of work for the end user?
04-23-2019 01:38 AM
Please make sure to have your forums profile updated, the instruction is on my previous post. Also, may I know what is the make model and the size of the SD card? Thanks.
I need help with my Motorola E5 supra cricket and I did update my profile IMEI.. SO I use the windows PC software update and I found 1 update to my motorola e5 supra and when i download the file which took 2 hours to download it says failed to decompress file. What is that mean? now I redownlod the file again.
04-26-2019 10:58 PM
...and this is why everyone hates any level of support that starts with "we reccomend formating/factory resetting/etc..."
Well, on your advice, Rich, I wasted two hours of my life backing up and formatting my wife's E5+ SD card in the device.
Just like before, it gets a new SD Card name each time we reboot, so nothing is changed or solved. I'm attaching screenshots of the Google Files app showing the SD card name (the last line at the bottom of the screen. In the screenshot attached to this post, you'll see the card name is 41313235-2d33-4131-4600-98b5. In the screenshot attached to my next post (taken after a reboot), it has changed to 41313235-2d33-4131-4600-c8b140. As I said earlier, this wreaks havoc with a number of third-party apps. I've changed SD cards (and reformatted the replacement in the device) to no avail.