Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eddy_mills
Paper Tape
Views: 1,573
Message 1 of 3

New e5 Play opens on PC, shows only empty window

When I plug my new e5 into a USB slot on my Windows 7 box, the options prompt pops up to indicate that a removable drive has been detected, but the resultant File Explorer window is empty, save for "moto e5 play" in the path field. Totally devoid of files, folders or information of any kind.   I can't access any of the picture files that I know are in there, but apparently can still upload them to the Google cloud service.  I take a lot of pictures, so it's pretty critical that they be movable en masse to a local machine.

Does an SD card have to be installed and formatted, and photos moved to it, before they're visible on a USB connection?  If so, can the SD card be designated as the default destination for all photos?

Failing that, is there some back door via which one may access files and folders from PC?  Does the phone need to be in a particular operation mode for its contents to be visible to the computer?

Thanks in advance for all help with this.

-eddy

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,546
Message 2 of 3

Re: New e5 Play opens on PC, shows only empty window

eddy_mills
Paper Tape
Views: 1,520
Message 3 of 3

Re: New e5 Play opens on PC, shows only empty window

UPDATE: I finally got to the bottom of this mystery on my own, and then realized that it was contained in the link from a previous commenter (thanks!).

To make the e5 a logical drive that can be viewed / modified via Windows, you have to do the following:

Plug into USB port with data (as opposed to charge-only) cable.

Navigate Android (phone) to Settings / Connected Devices / USB.

Select "Transfer files" from the options list.

You then have full access via your PC.  Unplugging the USB reverts the setting to "Charge this device," which means you have to do all of the above every time you want to move files to your computer.  A bit inconvenient, but still much better than the aggravation I experienced with my old Samsung Galaxy.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors