Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rt4512
Paper Tape
Views: 307
Message 1 of 4

Password Screen Lock questions

Need a little experienced help with these areas:

On Moto E5 Play, my password setup goes to a screen that says SECURE Start-UP and says to the effect, You can protect this device by requiring password before it starts up. Until devices starts up it can't receive calls msgs etc....

Then at bottom it says, Require Password to Start Your Device ? with 2 choices,

No thanks and Yes.

And I get these two results respectively:

If I choose Yes then I get a screen to set my password.

If I choose No thanks then I get a screen to set my password.

Both ways I have to enter a password to get in the phone either at start or when it sleeps.
Wondering what's the difference (?) and if there is a way to just enter the password when the phone starts and not when it just sleeps?

Or does that defeat the whole secure thing?

----Also
Then installing and setting up Norton it says something about needing to disable Lock screen encryption so it can access it. I chose OK for the time being, I may disable all this later.

So after Norton installs and I look at it's System Advisor listing it shows Lock Screen SET. So I have no idea what is going on (?) the prompts are really ambiguous.

----Also

if I go thru password setup again after installing Norton Mobile Security I get a slightly different prompt. This time it just asks No (not No Thanks) and Yes, as seen below.

Require Password to Start Your Device ? with 2 choices, No and Yes.

And I get these two results:

If I choose Yes I get a msg from Norton that says, If you enter password to start device then Norton won't yet be available.

If I choose No then I get a screen to set my password.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 248
Message 2 of 4

Re: Password Screen Lock questions

Hi Rt4512,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to help. I'll try explaining the security setup prompt. 

1. When you set a security lock it will ask you if you'd like to have a password to start up your device.

If YES - When you power off the phone and power it back on, you have to put your password to start your device. 

If NO - When you power off the phone and power it back on, the device will start up without asking for your password.

*Both ways you have to enter your password during setup so when you lock the device it will ask for your password.

2. For the Norton, I'd like to confirm, when you unlock the device does it ask for your password?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Rt4512
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 3 of 4

Thanks you explained that well especially since even though I posted exactly what happened it probably sounded confusing. I know it's confusing to me being a new smartphone owner. I've operated computers ever since the early nineties but these phones are ambiguous crowding more on a tiny screen.

Since you answered that so well I wonder if you could give any insight into this question. I read a lot about how the android clipboard is not secure to use for password entry. And I read that with Oreo this thing called AutoFill will get the job done without using the clipboard.

Now unless you buy one of the big 4 Pswd Managers and pay a monthly rate, most of the other Android Password managers are sketchy on whether they support AutoFill or if so then how.

I installed Keepass2Android on my android since I use Keepass on my computer. I also installed Keepass2Android's keyboard (turned it on in android OS settings). It doesn't specifically say that it supports AutoFill but it's got this facet that works like this.

Now from inside KP2A (Keepass2Android) I tap on the URL of a pre-created (by me) record and it opens up the browser at the URL sign in page. Then from the upper right browser menu I select SYNC, which now has a KP2A icon by it. This takes me back to KP2A window and on the bottom of the keyboard there are now two keys USER AND PASSWORD respectively. Of which I tap each when I need them and KP2A then puts (somehow) the User and/or Password boxes of the website. And I log in.

Now in your experience does this sound like AutoFill or just another way of using the clipboard?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 216
Message 4 of 4

Hi Rt4512,

I couldn't say if it has Autofill. I would recommend contacting the app developer for that matter. Let me know if you have other concern, thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors