Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 526
Message 1 of 12

Preferred SIM for SMS is changed if SIMcard is disabled/enabled

Hello,
I have 2 sim cards on my E5 smartphone, let's call them SIM_GSM and SIM_DATA.

I manually configured my phone in order to manage SIM cards as following:
- SIM_GSM for calls and SMS, since every of my friends has that number. No internet.
- SIM_DATA is only for internet data. No calls/sms.

I set my E5 accordingly, and it works properly except in the following case:

If I disable the SIM_GSM then I enable it again, the calls are still assigned to SIM_GSM, while the SMS are moved to SIM_DATA.
The phone "forgets" that the SMS should be managed by SIM_GSM and assigns SMS to the wrong SIM even when SIM_GSM is available.

I don't know if this is a problem with Android or Motorola, just wanted to let you know about this problem, and ask if there is a workaround.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 506
Message 2 of 12

Re: Preferred SIM for SMS is changed if SIMcard is disabled/enabled

Hi CiaoCiao,

Thanks for posting. This is odd. When did this happen? Have you tried resetting the network settings? Just go to Settings > System > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Note that this will reset your Bluetooth, WiFi and Mobile Data, so you will have to manually re-establish your connection with your previously paired/connected devices. After resetting the network settings, power cycle the phone for the changes to take effect. Let me know if it's still the same.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 434
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your answer.
This happens always, when I do the described steps. I attached a picture with the steps.
I will do what you suggested, now there is a new update of the System, so first I will update, then I will try again and let you know.

You can see the picture attached.

PS. what does it mean "power cycle the phone"?

---edit--
If you want to reproduce the issue, please try to assign SMS+Call to one SIM and the data to the other. If you cannot reproduce it, try to assign SMS+call to the other SIM and vice versa.
It seems that one of the two SIMs "wants" the SMS in my case, even if I switch the cards in the slot, the SMS are always assigned to the same SIM.

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 395
Message 4 of 12

I reset the network settings, without any improvement (as I expected, by the way).

Did you try to reproduce the issue?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 326
Message 5 of 12

@CiaoCiao wrote:

I reset the network settings, without any improvement (as I expected, by the way).

Did you try to reproduce the issue?

Hi CiaoCiao,

Thanks for trying provided checkpoints. We request you to try the "Reset app preferences" option and let us know. 

Tap on Settings>>System>>Reset>>Reset app preferences>>Reset apps. (Reboot the device)

If the above checkpoint did not resolve the issue. Please perform the device External Reset.

Thanks & Regards
Nikh
Lenovo-Moto Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 320
Message 6 of 12

Done, unfortunately no changes
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 317
Message 7 of 12

@CiaoCiao wrote:

Thanks for your answer.
This happens always, when I do the described steps. I attached a picture with the steps.
I will do what you suggested, now there is a new update of the System, so first I will update, then I will try again and let you know.

You can see the picture attached.

PS. what does it mean "power cycle the phone"?

---edit--
If you want to reproduce the issue, please try to assign SMS+Call to one SIM and the data to the other. If you cannot reproduce it, try to assign SMS+call to the other SIM and vice versa.
It seems that one of the two SIMs "wants" the SMS in my case, even if I switch the cards in the slot, the SMS are always assigned to the same SIM.

I don't know if you got this answered yet or not, but "power cycling" is just a fancy way (and fewer words) to say, "turn the phone off, count to 5, and turn the phone back on again.

Highlighted
CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 281
Message 8 of 12

Hi crystallet, thanks for replying.

I imaged it's something related with power/electricity, so i selected "restart" in the phone.

I was afraid that it means that I have to make a whole cycle of charging, (battery to 0% and to 100%) but after i thought this made no sense.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 187
Message 9 of 12

@CiaoCiao wrote:

Hi crystallet, thanks for replying.

I imaged it's something related with power/electricity, so i selected "restart" in the phone.

I was afraid that it means that I have to make a whole cycle of charging, (battery to 0% and to 100%) but after i thought this made no sense.

Hi CiaoCiao,

We have checked and tried as you have mentioned we couldn't found any issues as described. Can you test in Safe Mode and let me know if it behaves the same? Safe Mode will start the device without third-party applications running. To boot into Safe Mode, press the physical power key, touch and hold Power off, touch OK when Reboot to Safe Mode appears. Restart the device to get out of Safe Mode. 

Thanks

Sandip

Moto Support

CiaoCiao
Fanfold Paper
Views: 161
Message 10 of 12

Done, it's the same also in safe mode. The SMS are assigned to the available SIM

Top Kudoed Authors