Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aer0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 131
Message 1 of 8

Rotating failure

On Moto e5 play photo rotation has stopped working after latest security update. Camera rotate still working. Auto rotate is switched on.

Please assist

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 101
Message 2 of 8

Re: Rotating failure

Hi aer0,

Thanks for posting. Do all of your apps not rotate even if auto-rotate is turned on? When did you receive the software update? 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

aer0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 98
Message 3 of 8

Google photos is the problem

WhatsApp also but assume that photos in that app are really G P

Strangely camera works

When did I get the update - last week sometime

It said security update

It is the UK version phone

Tony

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 94
Message 4 of 8

Hi aer0,

I just want to confirm that it won't auto rotate on both Google photos and WhatsApp only? Have you tried booting the phone in Safe Mode? Does it go full screen automatically when you watch youtube videos? Please update your profile with your current phone, carrier, and IMEI -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems. 

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

To Enable Safe Mode:
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 58
Message 5 of 8

I don't normally use youtube, but tried youtube light

Index screens are portrait but when they go to full screen they rotate to fill the screen as landscape.

No so with photos and whatsapp

But rotates with camera

Tried safe mode (thanks for the instrutions) no change everything the same

Phone is Moto e5 play (UK version) running android 8.1.0 with security patch 1 October 2019

Build Number OPGS28.54-53-8-7

Baseband versionM8917_31.39.05.93R PETTYL_EMEA_CUST

Carrier is Tesco Mobile which uses  T-Mobile network

Hope that is all OK

Thanks

aer0

Edited: for privacy -Zeke 

Somehow your message was deleted after I edited your post for privacy concerns. Anyway, what I meant for youtube or other video playing apps that it automatically goes into the landscape if you turned on auto-rotate. Are both WhatsApp and Google Photos updated to the latest software? You may also try clearing the app cache and storage of both of the apps. This step will reset the app to default and may log you out of the app.

To clear app cache and storage:

Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > App Info > (App Name) > Storage > Clear Cache & Clear Storage. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

aer0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 55
Message 6 of 8

Hi Zeke

On utube Go the sample videos turn into full screen (landscape) if I enlarge to full screen so that seems to work ok.

For my videos  that I took with camera it gives me option of opening with Chrome or Photos. No matter which I choose no rotation occurs.

Have cleared all cache previously and again now - no change

I cleared data in whatsapp only to lose all my recent posts - made no difference- so I don't want to clear photos data as I have lots there.

I am scared they will all get wiped

Yes using the latest apps

Clearing data & cache from whatsapp did not lose update as still said latest update 28 Oct 2019

Lost important todays post in whatsapp after doing backup

Suppose should have done backup first but didn't think.

G Photos update is 4 Nov 2019 but that's after problem started

Don't believe it can be the sensor as camera works just fine.

Been through all the hardware checks on Moto Help without problems

Removed last program installed no change.

Could be a program update or system update - but strange no one else has problem

Tried control screen orientation app which works but that's a bind to keep setting orientation

Any other suggestions

aer0

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 49
Message 7 of 8

Hi aer0,

I do also think this is not a Gyroscope hardware fault but an application-specific issue. I tried this on a different Moto Phone on Google photos on the same software update and cannot replicate what you're seeing. If Google Photos is already backed up and synced it should not be deleted when clearing cache and app storage. You can check that by accessing photos.google.com on your computer browser. Try using a 3rd party gallery app and check if the same thing would happen. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Highlighted
aer0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 46
Message 8 of 8

Will do
aer0
Top Kudoed Authors