Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlesBB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 186
Message 1 of 5

Solved: Fingerprint works with some apps but not others

This issue seems to be solved now. The steps I took are listed below. I'm not sure which of them made the difference.

1. Reboot into safe mode, then reboot back into standard mode
  2. Reboot into recovery mode (hold power + volume down; this took several tries), wipe cache partition, reboot into standard mode
  3. Delete existing fingerprint and register a new one (previously this step had not worked on its own).

All standard stuff, but it seemed odd that some apps were working and some weren't. I'd expected the OS to handle all fingerpring authentication and return a simple "pass/fail" to each app, but it seems more complicated than that.

My original post:

I'm seeing odd behaviour when trying to unlock certain apps with the fingerprint sensor on my new Moto E6 Plus.

Unlocking the phone itself via fingerprint works reliably. But of the six apps I've tried that have a fingerprint unlock option, this works on only two. On the other four it always fails.

A couple of the apps give useful error messages. For example, one says: "T0014: failed to authenticate, please re-register fingerprint". Another gives a complicated JavaScript error that begins with "javax.crypto.IllegalBlockSizeException". Another always insists that the registered fingerprint has changed when it hasn't. The other apps just seem to ignore the fingerprint input and ask for a passcode.

One of these apps is a popular password manager (1Password) and the others are all from well-respected financial institutions. I've used the iOS versions of the same apps and had no problems with fingerprint authentication.

I've tried deleting and re-registering my fingerprint, and rebooting the phone, but no joy. Besides, it seems as if the actual sensor is working because it can unlock the phone every time.

Has anyone else seen problems like this with certain apps? Thanks for any feedback.

Charles

CharlesBB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 103
Message 2 of 5

Re: Solved: Fingerprint works with some apps but not others

I marked this as new because the problem hasn't gone away and I seem to be unable to mark the original post as unsolved.

I think the issue is the same as this one from December 2018: Motorola One fingerprint unlock fails after reboot, though in the case of the Motorola One it's been solved by a software update. It still affects my E6 Plus, however, and it's very annoying. Since my first post I've learned more (e.g. it's not necessary to clear the cache partition), so to summarise:

• this bug affects third-party apps that use the fingerprint sensor to authenticate
  • it doesn't prevent unlocking the phone itself via fingerprint
  • after a restart, some (but not all) apps fail to work with fingerprint unlock
  • the most common error message says: "The registered fingerprint has changed", even though it hasn't
  • a temporary workaround is to delete all fingerprints and re-register them, but the problem recurs after the next restart.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 70
Message 3 of 5

Hi CharlesBB,

We would like to take a further look into this. Please provide us a bug report after getting an error. To get a bug report you may need to have access to developer options.

To enable developer options:
1. Go to Settings > About phone > Build number
2. Tap Build number seven times. After the first few taps, you should see the steps counting down until you unlock the developer options. Once activated, you will see a message that reads, “You are now a developer!”
3. Go back to Settings, where you’ll find a Developer options entry in the menu

BUG REPORT FOR NORMAL ISSUE:
Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On
Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power-down menu.
Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the bug report by sending me a private message.
Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

CharlesBB
Fanfold Paper
Views: 66
Message 4 of 5

Much appreciated, Agent_Zeke. I've PMd you with a link to bug reports from two of the apps that are misbehaving. There are two more apps that I could capture in the future, if necessary.

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 60
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for sending me those bug reports. I'll have them escalated for further investigation. We'll reach you out once we have an update from the bug reports that you sent.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.