Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-26-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 16

Is there a way to default bluetooth on so I don't have to turn it on when the phone is turned on?

2017-02-26, 1:49 AM

I'm new to Android so I'm a bit surprised this is not a standard feature on my new Moto G4 Plus phone, but could someone please enlighten me?  When I turn on my phone, bluetooth is off.  I want it to be on by default.  I don't want the extra step of having to turn on bluetooth when I get in my car. I know it's probably off for my own "protection", but I'd prefer to worry about my battery usage on my own, thank you.

Answer
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780

Re: Is there a way to default bluetooth on so I don't have to turn it on when the phone is turned on

2017-02-27, 2:59 AM

wrote:

I just exchanged my G4 Plus for the Z Play to see if it would resolve the problem with connecting to my Honda's Android Auto.  It interesting to note that the Z Play has the same default bluetooth behavior - it does not turn on when the phone is turned on even if blutooth was on when the phone was turned off.

As other commenters have noted, the fact that bluetooth does not turn on by default is not a big deal.  Yes, it's slightly annoying; however, it creates a bigger problem when you're trying to connect with Android Auto.  If you reboot and turn on bluetooth for the first time, the phone connects to Android Auto just fine.  If bluetooth gets turned off somehow, however, and you plug in to connect to Android Auto, it won't connect to the car anymore.  It tries, but Android Auto doesn't activate on the car unless you reboot the phone again. 

The bluetooth default setting and Android Auto connection both work flawlessly with a Nexus 5X phone running 7.0.  I'm not sure the bluetooth default setting and the Android Auto problems are related - I just note that neither of those occur on the Nexus 5X.  Perhaps an eventual upgrade to Nougat (March '17?) will resolve the issue, though, as the Brit commented above, he's running 6.0 and bluetooth behaves differently on his phone so 7.0 may not change the bluetooth behavior.  I'm going to keep the Z Play though.  It's a nice phone and much easier to forgive it's faults.

I am guessing it is something on each individual phone.  An app, setting or Maybe fixed by a cache clear or factory reset.   My G4 doesn't turn bt on after a reboot (on before power off) but my moto z, x pure and Maxx all do. 

I have trusted bt devices enabled.   Maybe that is it.  

And since it works for some, and there are few compliants, it seems likely something different between phones. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum

Replies(15)
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 2 of 16

Re: Is there a way to default bluetooth on so I don't have to turn it on when the phone is turned on

2017-02-26, 2:30 AM

wrote:

I'm new to Android so I'm a bit surprised this is not a standard feature on my new Moto G4 Plus phone, but could someone please enlighten me?  When I turn on my phone, bluetooth is off.  I want it to be on by default.  I don't want the extra step of having to turn on bluetooth when I get in my car. I know it's probably off for my own "protection", but I'd prefer to worry about my battery usage on my own, thank you.

No, i don't think so, but i never turn my phone off, so i never noticed.  If you are turning your phone off frequently, just make it part of your process of turning it on. 

Why do you turn your phone off so frequently?

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

7 Posts

02-26-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

2017-02-26, 2:53 AM

I've had to turn off my phone to get the bluetooth to connect to the bluetooth in my car.  I've heard that's a separate problem. I've tried deleting and re-pairing but for some reason it won't connect until after I turn it off, turn it back on, and then turn on the bluetooth.

Options

61 Posts

02-25-2015

Canada

42 Signins

442 Page Views

• Views: 442
  • Message 4 of 16

2017-02-26, 3:13 AM

What you're asking about IS how bluetooth works on my G4 plus.

Once I turn on Bluetooth on, it stays on by default no matter how many times I reboot my phone, or shut it completely off.

I don't why it doesn't work like that on your phone.

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2017-02-26, 3:23 AM

My son's Nexus 5 phone works the same as yours - once bluetooth is turned on, it stays on even after turning off and on the phone. Do you have a Mofo G4 Plus? Is there a setting I have set somewhere that may have caused it to default to off?

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2017-02-26, 13:07 PM

wrote:

My son's Nexus 5 phone works the same as yours - once bluetooth is turned on, it stays on even after turning off and on the phone. Do you have a Mofo G4 Plus? Is there a setting I have set somewhere that may have caused it to default to off?

I tested on my g4 and it didnt turn back on after reboot, but nothing was paired when i turned it off. Maybe that is the trick - something has to be connected when it powers off.  

But the quick access menu allows easy way to turn bt on even if ohone is locked. 

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2017-02-26, 14:07 PM

Well, I see this thread was marked as solved so I guess the answer is NO there is not a way to set the Moto G4 Plus bluetooth to default ON.  I find that a bit odd, but given the other bluetooth issues with this phone, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to those who replied to my question based on their experience with the phone. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2017-02-26, 14:15 PM

wrote:

Well, I see this thread was marked as solved so I guess the answer is NO there is not a way to set the Moto G4 Plus bluetooth to default ON.  I find that a bit odd, but given the other bluetooth issues with this phone, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks to those who replied to my question based on their experience with the phone. 

I unmarked your Nexus 5 post as the solution - only the original poster can mark a thread as solved. 

Options

1 Posts

02-15-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 9 of 16

2017-02-26, 20:14 PM

I have just brought a Moto G4 Plus and it does the same every time i turn my phone off if turns the bluetooth off.  So annoying

Options

226 Posts

01-31-2014

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

1477 Signins

28692 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 28692
  • Message 10 of 16

2017-02-26, 22:19 PM

With my G4 with Bluetooth on, after any phone turn off - the phone always starts up again with Bluetooth turned on, does not matter if anything was connected or not !!

UK retail model with 6.0.1.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms