04-05-2019

US

16 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 1 of 9

MicroSD Card Help!

2019-04-05, 16:09 PM

I posted on here earlier, but my post was deleted for some reason.

I bought the SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 (Class 10) MicroSDXC card on Amazon, installed it in my phone as Internal Storage, but was given the error that the card was slow, but still went through with the setup anyway.

Keep in mind, I was recommended this type of card from Motorola's website, so I don't know why it's being reported as slow.

My questions are:

1.) Has anyone else had this exact trouble, and if so, how did you fix it.

2.) Can anyone recommend another MicroSDXC card (64GB preferably) that wouldn't give me this error?

and

3.) If I did go through with using this card, what's the worst that could happen?

Below is a Screenshot of my storage:

Solved! See the solution
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: MicroSD Card Help!

2019-04-05, 16:42 PM

1. This error can appear (slow card) with any card - the operating system is responding to the performance of the card. Even with the same brand, there are variances. There is nothing you can do other then to try other cards.

2. My personal opinion is to avoid "adopted storage" at all costs. It is hard on the cards, and many report early card failure (even with 10 year card warranty, this is annoying). If you have to reset your phone, or your phone dies and is unrecoverable, the encryption key for the card is lost, so all data on the card is inaccessible. When you get a new phone, you can't just move the card from one phone to another. 

3. The worst normal thing is poor performance. Apps can be slower to load if installed on the card. System can slow to a crawl if apps on the card get automatic updates. Premature failure as mentioned above, will result in data loss of everything on the card. 

Remember that whatever path you go, backup whatever is on the card as cards can go bad, phones get lost or damaged, etc. 

I always use my SD card for portable storage, have photos/music save to the card, and backup to google drive or pc. Apps are installed on internal storage. i have never had a problem with this method. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

9 Posts

04-05-2019

US

16 Signins

179 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-04-05, 17:39 PM

1. Are you saying that error message is normal?

Or should I get my money back for the MicroSD Card?

2. So you're saying to use my MicroSDXC card as Portable Storage instead?

Can I reverse the option I chose for Internal Storage, and instead select Portable Storage?

Or is it too late, since I've already selected Internal Storage?

Also, if I use my MicroSD as my portable storage, while storing my Apps on the Internal Storage, how can I legitimately update the regular Internal Storage memory from 16GB to 32GB, or 64GB?

3. You said that Apps can be slower if installed to SD Card, but on my SanDisk package, it says, "A1 - For Faster Mobile App Performance".

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-04-05, 18:12 PM

1. Error message is seen often. Users report it with different cards, others have no problems with same card.  I don't know what to tell you regarding returning it as the "slow" message is only relevant with adopted storage.

2. I recommend portable storage to everyone as internal/adopted has shown to be not as reliable. You can always reformat a card as portable. There is an option to move whatever is on the card to internal storage prior to reformatting it, assuming there is room. 

There is no way to expand internal storage to make more room for apps, other then adopted storage. I have never had a reason to increase room for more apps when i keep all my data on sd card. 

3. SD cards are slower then internal memory, and the bus connecting them is not as fast. There is also an extra layer of encryption on the SD cards used for adopted storage. I don't know what SanDisk is comparing their SD card to when they say "Faster". Maybe faster then slower cards, but not faster then the storage on the phone.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

9 Posts

04-05-2019

US

16 Signins

179 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-04-05, 18:41 PM
1. Okay, so I went ahead with your suggestion to use the MicroSD Card as Portable Storage instead, and did not receive the error this time.

So if I'm correct, since I didn't receive the error when selecting Portable Storage, that means there's no problem with the card?

2. Now that I have the MicroSD set up as Portable Storage, what kind of things can I store specifically?

Could I store movies, videos, pictures, but no Apps or Games, right?

3. I always thought that when you choose to use the card as Internal Storage, you can't reverse the option, to instead use the Portable Storage option, but maybe I misunderstood.

4. Another strange thing I noticed is that prior to even installing the SD Card, the main storage was just called, "Internal Storage", but when I installed the SD Card, now the main storage is named, "Internal Shared Storage", and I just figured that was because I was using the SD Card.

However, even after removing the SD Card, and pushing the "Forget SD Card" button, it still comes up as "Internal Shared Storage".

I know it sounds miniscule, but could that negatively affect my phone somehow?
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-04-05, 19:08 PM

1. Formatting as "adopted" and getting a "slow" message doesn't mean anything is wrong with the card, it is was just slower in formatting, and likely would not perform optimally. SD cards are made of transistors, and performance can vary within batches of cards. Google doesn't really tell anyone what they mean by "slow". Formatting as external/portable never delivers a "slow" message, but performance is not really important. 

I doubt anything is wrong with the card. But as always, backup your data somewhere other then just the card. 

2. Correct - movies, pictures, music, other files, but apps can't be moved or installed to the card

3. You can ALWAYS reformat and start over. You just can't move an "adopted" card to another device and read it. A portable card can be read in multiple different devices. 

4. This naming convention is normal. Forget SD card applies to "adopted" SD cards. It deletes the encryption key associated with the card that was created using "adopted" formatting. 

Nothing should affect your phone from what you have described. 

Options

9 Posts

04-05-2019

US

16 Signins

179 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-04-05, 19:30 PM
I'm sorry for my incessant questions, but I have one more slight problem, or possibly maybe two.

1. I took a Screenshot of my home screen to see if it would go right to the Portable Storage, but it didn't.

Instead, it went into Internal Shared Storage.

So I moved the picture from Internal Shared Storage to my MicroSD Card, and then deleted the picture from Internal Shared Storage, to save room for Apps and Games, however, after deleting the picture from Internal Shared Storage, I go look in my MicroSD Card, and it's not there, even though I moved it to there from Internal Shared Storage.

What does that mean?

How do you get it to where either, 1. The movies, pictures, etc, save to the Portable Storage automatically, or 2. If unable to do that, to at least be able to keep the pictures, movies, etc in Portable Storage from getting deleted when they're deleted in Internal Shared Storage?

2. After this whole debacle with the MicroSD Card, my phone seemes a little slow loading apps and web pages.

Do you think that's related to the MicroSD?

Again, I'm sorry for my OCD-Like questions, and appreciate your previous and future feedback.
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-04-05, 19:45 PM

If SD card is set to portable storage, then it has no affect on the phone's performance. 

Within the camera app, the settings allow for saving photos to SD card. I am not sure if screencaps follow that or not. I don't take many screenshots, so I have not worried to much about it. I use Media Monkey for music, and it has its own settings for where music is stored. I use the VLC app for movies, and i transfer movies directly to SD card. 

I don't know where your screenshot went or why you can't find it. Sorry. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

14 Posts

07-30-2019

US

17 Signins

280 Page Views

• Views: 280
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-09-25, 18:24 PM

I had the exact same problem with the exact same card. See my post dated today titled SD card too slow. 

Am looking for a brand/model for internal storage that's faster. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete