Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-05-2017

United States of America

6 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 9

Moto G4 Play fails to update

2017-05-05, 16:18 PM

I've searched and searched for answers and help to no avail... Maybe someone here can help.

I have an Amazon (with ads) Moto G4 Play. It's not unlocked (cannot be unlocked).

For several weeks I have been getting an "Update Available" notice. So I think great, finally an update! So, I select "I'm In" and it downloads the update.

Then it asks if I want to install it, I say "Yes".

It says, "Preparing for installation", then reboots.

I have to push the power button to select "Start" on the boot screen and it finishes rebooting and I get a screen again saying, "Preparing for Installation" then it reboots.

I push the power button to select "Start" on the boot screen and it finishes rebooting. This time after it reboots the screen says, "Software Update Unsuccessful Sorry, there was a problem updating your moto g play. No changes were made."

I have tried this over and over and over...

Here are the specifics of the phone:

Storage usage is 7.47 GB used of 10.96 internal storage and 0.97 GB of 58.56 GB on the SD card.

My current firmware version is: harpia_amz/harpia6.0.1/MPI24.241-2.35-1/1

Since I bought this phone it has never had an OTA nor USB update to the best of my recolection

Here is what I have tried to fix it:

- Cleared all cache via system menu.

- Cleared and formatted cache via bootloader menu.

- Booted into safe mode and tried to install.

- I have not tried a "factory Reset" as that doesn't make much sene to me but I may do it anyway.

- My guess is that somehow the firmware ID got screwed up and the installer doesn't recognize it so refuses to update, but that's just my gueass as a firmware engineer who doesn't write Android code.

- I am curious why I need to push "Start" everytime the phone reboots. Seems to me the bootloader should automatically start unless something got changed at some point (by me maybe?) Not sure. I've had the phone for a while. I do mod many of my Android devices but since this one has a locked bootloader (yes, dissapointing), I don't believe I ever did anything with it.

I also tried calling technical support and they were of no help and told me to contact Amazon... No idea why, the phone (other than this OTA update) works fine.

Anyway, I am extremely frustrated and would really appreciate any and all help/suggestions.

Options

4717 Posts

10-05-2016

United States of America

626 Signins

51997 Page Views

• Views: 51997
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto G4 Play fails to update

2017-05-12, 21:24 PM

Hi tjscientist,

At this point, I would suggest to trying doing a factory reset with automatic restore disabled and see if that works.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Please do not send me a personal message regarding your concerns or questions if this can be posted to this community. We prioritize the ones posting on threads.
Options

5 Posts

08-11-2017

India

7 Signins

77 Page Views

• Views: 77
  • Message 3 of 9

Re: Moto g4 Play do have volte support

2017-08-11, 12:57 PM

I am using Airtel 4g sim. My Moto g4 play model number XT1602 did not receive an update to support volte. When I want to call someone my 4g will change into 3g and I am able to call. So please try to solve this problem.

Options

1 Posts

08-17-2017

India

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 4 of 9

Re: Moto g4 Play do have volte support

2017-08-17, 23:10 PM

This is beacause in india only jio provides volte services but airtel dont have volte technology now

Options

2 Posts

12-06-2017

Pakistan

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 5 of 9

Moto G4 play error while installing update

2017-12-11, 8:49 AM

I'm unable to install the security update on moto G4 play XT1609. After downloading the update package system prepares phone for update then it restarts and starts installing the update but after few seconds it shows "error" after phone turns on it shows the following notification as shown is attached screenshot. 

Current OS version is 6.0.1 last update(Android security patch level) was on 2016, july

Options

1 Posts

04-05-2018

India

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 6 of 9

2018-04-09, 19:27 PM

I'm unable to install the security update on moto G4 play XT1609. After downloading the update package system prepares phone for update then it restarts and starts installing the update but after few seconds it shows "error" please suggest me how to solve this issue.

Options

1 Posts

07-01-2018

Pakistan

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 7 of 9

2018-07-01, 19:04 PM

I am also having same problem 

Is some problem in location

wrote:

I've searched and searched for answers and help to no avail... Maybe someone here can help.

I have an Amazon (with ads) Moto G4 Play. It's not unlocked (cannot be unlocked).

For several weeks I have been getting an "Update Available" notice. So I think great, finally an update! So, I select "I'm In" and it downloads the update.

Then it asks if I want to install it, I say "Yes".

It says, "Preparing for installation", then reboots.

I have to push the power button to select "Start" on the boot screen and it finishes rebooting and I get a screen again saying, "Preparing for Installation" then it reboots.

I push the power button to select "Start" on the boot screen and it finishes rebooting. This time after it reboots the screen says, "Software Update Unsuccessful Sorry, there was a problem updating your moto g play. No changes were made."

I have tried this over and over and over...

Here are the specifics of the phone:

Storage usage is 7.47 GB used of 10.96 internal storage and 0.97 GB of 58.56 GB on the SD card.

My current firmware version is: harpia_amz/harpia6.0.1/MPI24.241-2.35-1/1

Since I bought this phone it has never had an OTA nor USB update to the best of my recolection

Here is what I have tried to fix it:

- Cleared all cache via system menu.

- Cleared and formatted cache via bootloader menu.

- Booted into safe mode and tried to install.

- I have not tried a "factory Reset" as that doesn't make much sene to me but I may do it anyway.

- My guess is that somehow the firmware ID got screwed up and the installer doesn't recognize it so refuses to update, but that's just my gueass as a firmware engineer who doesn't write Android code.

- I am curious why I need to push "Start" everytime the phone reboots. Seems to me the bootloader should automatically start unless something got changed at some point (by me maybe?) Not sure. I've had the phone for a while. I do mod many of my Android devices but since this one has a locked bootloader (yes, dissapointing), I don't believe I ever did anything with it.

I also tried calling technical support and they were of no help and told me to contact Amazon... No idea why, the phone (other than this OTA update) works fine.

Anyway, I am extremely frustrated and would really appreciate any and all help/suggestions.

Options

5996 Posts

12-04-2017

India

1170 Signins

77328 Page Views

• Views: 77328
  • Message 8 of 9

2018-07-02, 15:53 PM

Hi Hasnainmalik,

Sorry to hear about that, if you have already performed factory data reset without restoring any apps and tried to download via wifi with no result. We want to look further into this, if you can update your profile with the IMEI of your device, this can help us investigate and see what's causing the disconnect. Also, kindly send a bug report regarding this. Bug report will collect information about your current device state

Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable USB debugging > Toggle On

Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On

Once the issue is reproduced: Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.

Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.

Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply.

Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the local time when you observed the behavior.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
Options

1 Posts

12-29-2018

India

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 9

2018-12-29, 12:09 PM

Have the same problem

Please help

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms