10-04-2016

US

5 Signins

62 Page Views

• Views: 62
  • Message 11 of 245

Re: Moto G4 SIM card not detected/dissapears

2016-10-04, 5:17 AM

I have the exact same issue. Brand new Moto G4, unlocked from Amazon (the no ad version), right out of the box, no changes to settings or apps, and it fails to recognize my SIM card after about an hour. If I reboot I get it back... for about an hour.

I went to the AT&T store, got setup with a brand new SIM card, the phone lost the SIM again, after about an hour. Is there really no known solution to this?? (TOM - is there something specific that AT&T needs to do to "activate" the phone aside from issuing a new SIM??)

I really like the phone otherwise, but this is a deal breaker, might have to go Samsung after all.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 12 of 245

2016-10-04, 11:57 AM

wrote:

I have the exact same issue. Brand new Moto G4, unlocked from Amazon (the no ad version), right out of the box, no changes to settings or apps, and it fails to recognize my SIM card after about an hour. If I reboot I get it back... for about an hour.

I went to the AT&T store, got setup with a brand new SIM card, the phone lost the SIM again, after about an hour. Is there really no known solution to this?? (TOM - is there something specific that AT&T needs to do to "activate" the phone aside from issuing a new SIM??)

I really like the phone otherwise, but this is a deal breaker, might have to go Samsung after all.

Since we only have the 3 or 4 people in this thread who have experienced this, there is not enough data to know a cause or propose a solution. 

If a reset doesnt fix it, then i would recommend repair or replace. 

There are 2 different issues being discussed as far as i can tell. Att and sim getting lost.  Others (in another thread) with att issues could not get LTE. This would be unrelated to the sim not detected isssue.  

Sim not detected should have nothing to do with att - i have a few phones i used with att that they have no knowledge of - imports and similar. The sim is always recognized. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

10-04-2016

US

5 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 13 of 245

2016-10-04, 13:04 PM

Interestingly enough, I turned off wifi overnight and my SIM hasn't been lost yet (note, I DO get LTE service, so yeah, seems like a different issue).

I will turn wifi back on when I get back home and see if it drops again, in which case it would clearly seem to be some conflict with wifi?  If it doesn't drop again at that point, then maybe all it needed was to connect to the cellular network to complete activation of my SIM card? 

I'll report back tonight.

Thanks!

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 14 of 245

2016-10-04, 13:27 PM

wrote:

Interestingly enough, I turned off wifi overnight and my SIM hasn't been lost yet (note, I DO get LTE service, so yeah, seems like a different issue).

I will turn wifi back on when I get back home and see if it drops again, in which case it would clearly seem to be some conflict with wifi?  If it doesn't drop again at that point, then maybe all it needed was to connect to the cellular network to complete activation of my SIM card? 

I'll report back tonight.

Thanks!

Please do let us know. If you can pin down the "missing sim" and relate to wifi being on, that could lead to a discovery regarding cause. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

10-04-2016

US

5 Signins

62 Page Views

• Message 15 of 245

2016-10-05, 11:49 AM

So, after a full day of use off and then on wifi, the SIM error is no longer occurring.  I think it's safe to say the issue is resolved.  It seems like I just needed to disable wifi for a while to allow the cellular network to properly activate.  Not 100% certain that's what did it, could be a coincidence, but worth a try if anyone else encounters the same issue.

Options

2 Posts

10-18-2016

IN

1 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 16 of 245

2016-10-18, 9:45 AM

Last month i bought moto g4 plus mobile from amazon.in and it was working fine with one sim but today when i tried inserting the new sim in the 2nd sim card slot it was not detected. I went to your services center, and they told me that the problem is faulty sim card slot (slot is damaged), and they are not ready to claim warranty and if i want to repair the sim slot then i need to pay 8,000/- rs.

I have never use 2nd sim card slot so

hence it should be manufacturing fault. Kindly do this needfully.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Message 17 of 245

2016-10-18, 13:48 PM

wrote:

Last month i bought moto g4 plus mobile from amazon.in and it was working fine with one sim but today when i tried inserting the new sim in the 2nd sim card slot it was not detected. I went to your services center, and they told me that the problem is faulty sim card slot (slot is damaged), and they are not ready to claim warranty and if i want to repair the sim slot then i need to pay 8,000/- rs.

I have never use 2nd sim card slot so

hence it should be manufacturing fault. Kindly do this needfully.

It is up to the service center to determine if the damage is warranty related or user related. Do you have any kind of job number? Why did the service center say it was not warranty?

Options

1 Posts

10-22-2016

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 18 of 245

2016-10-22, 22:47 PM

Hello MotorolaTom

I am currently testing my third Moto G4 that has this problem.  The first was a G4 Plus from Best Buy.  It had an AT&T SIM from Consumer Cellular.  When I picked the phone up after an extended idle period it invariably indicated "No SIM card."  I had to power off and on to get the SIM recognized again.

I returned that phone and got a G4 from Best Buy.  Same problem.  Installed another SIM.  Same problem.  Got a T-Mobile SIM from Consumer Cellular.  Same problem.  Got another Consumer Cellular phone (Samsung Galaxy J3) with an AT&T SIM.  Ran it for a week with no problem.  Put that SIM into the G4 and the problem returned.  I have tried complete hard resets, no change.  Other attempts were WiFi off, Safe Mode, and non-LTE networks.  None matter.  Returned the G4 to Best Buy.

However, I reported the problem to CC who claimed they had no problems with their own Moto G4 phones.  So, I got one of theirs.  But, it has the same problem (after a period of inactivity, "No SIM found").

I prefer the G4 to the J3, and would like to keep it, but not with this problem.  Is their any chance this can be fixed?  I am willing to provide any information you require, and to work with you in problem determination.

Options

1 Posts

10-24-2016

US

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 19 of 245

2016-10-24, 22:55 PM

I recently got the moto g4 play and i had the same problem. I am with sprint and the phone was universal, i went to a sprint store and they gave me a universal sim card and they told me to wait 15min to acitivate. The next day the phone was still not activated. I went to another sprint store and they didnt know what was wrong my phone wasnt reading the sim. I went to best buy and they said that it was not a good sim for the phone. The moto g4 comes with its own sim made for that specific phone and thats what was wrong with it. Order the sim card for the moto g4 play and problem should be fixed.!

Options

1 Posts

10-25-2016

US

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 20 of 245

2016-10-25, 2:46 AM

I have the Amazon prime edition and am having the same problem. It worked on my old at&t microsim, but at&t gave me a new sim that actually fit and I can't get the phone to detect it. The mobile network menu is also greyed out. I am about to send it back to Amazon. What a shame since I like the phone. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete