01-28-2018

US

3 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 231 of 245

Re: Moto G4 SIM card not detected/dissapears

2018-06-02, 12:42 PM

FWIW, I had this prob with my Moto G4. It happened shortly after I changed my service plan. I tried all the usual suspects, (tape and paper shims, cleaning sim, etc.. After much fooling around, googling and cursing of technology, I began to think it was carrier (Sprint) related. I had noticed that once or twice the phone had shown 3g service, and the loss of SIM card was random, almost as if the network detected that my phone was not authorized and dropped the connection. Hardware diagnostics indicated "SIM card not ready" and would reconnect on request.

In the end, a PRL & MSL updates solved the problem !

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2017

US

15 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 232 of 245

2018-06-02, 13:08 PM

In the end, I just dumped the POS. They are already out with the G6. The G4 is nothing more than a stain on the floor. Back to Nokia here.

Options

1 Posts

07-08-2018

US

3 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 233 of 245

2018-07-09, 11:54 AM

I am wondering if heat is playing a role with these SIM slot pins?  With them being as thin as they are, could the heat generated by periods of use, charging, the initial hard work of installing all your apps when you initialise the phone, etc, be causing the pins to soften slightly and settle in a more level position?  I ask this because my initial solution worked for around a month, then the phone lost contact with the SIM again.  I really needed to make a call - I found that if I held the phone with the back off in such a way as to push on the SIM card quite hard (inwards and downwards) the connection was made, but lost when I let go.  I was out in the car so had no access to my tools... My solution this time was a small piece of thin card from a paracetamol box end-tab carefully torn to the size of my SIM, then inserted into the slot so as to rest against the top of the slot.  This I reinserted the SIM between the card and the contacts.  This had the desired effect, and has been working well for over a week so far.  

Moto- some people have this issue, some say they can take out and reinsert sims at will with no problems. It would be a stretch to believe that all the phones in a model range are made from the same batch of parts, or even at the same factory on the same line... Surely you can see there is a possible hardware issue with this SIM slot? 

Rather than telling me why my solutions are not recommended, tell me why they work? Why is a mechanical fix having an effect where no software fixes do?  

And sending people back to the shop to change phone would only solve the issue when the exchange just happens to swap out a bad-batch unit with a good one.

Hello All,

I know, I know, this is a 2016 post but I really think that I had to do it.

My Moto G4 started not recognising the sim and I did the usual things - took out the sim and re-inserted it, bought a new sim, blew into the slot, cursed etc.

Then I went on the Internet and came across this forum and this post.

It can't work, it is too simple, it...

Cut the flap of a box top to the dimensions of the sim and inserted it, then inserted the card.

It has been a week and no more disconnection issues.

I registered to tell you thanks.  I really am attached to that phone and I was not ready to give it up.

Thank you.

Peace.

Options

13 Posts

03-13-2017

US

12 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 234 of 245

2018-07-09, 14:56 PM

A cutout from a box is overkill, i.e, too thick, and might cause damage.  I used a piece of cello tape and have not had any problem in 18 months.

Options

10 Posts

09-13-2017

US

15 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 235 of 245

2018-07-09, 15:07 PM

I am using a nano [I think it's called] sim card. What I had to do was get an adaptor off Amazon [the good, metal ones, not the plastic ones] and pit the sim in the adaptor. I then took a piece of Scotch 'invisible' tape and taped the sim into the adaptor and trimmed the edges and then inserted. Been like this for over a year, no mo sim card issues. 

Options

5 Posts

01-04-2017

US

6 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 236 of 245

2018-07-09, 17:09 PM

My own issues were definitely tied to software.

This rarely happens anymore, but the times it does I can go and look and see what app I installed or what app updated about the time it started. Without fail, if a new update pushes out for that app then the issue resolves, or if I uninstall the app.

The time I caught it red-handed was when I installed the Lyft app. Shortly thereafter it began doing the whole cycle again: No SIM card, I take it out or restart the phone, and it would work for about 5 minutes tops before losing the SIM connection again.

It dawned on me that everything worked great up until I installed the Lyft app. I deleted it, and it stopped doing it.

I think some of the apps get updates that don't play so nice with this phone, and then you have to either uninstall and reinstall, or uninstall it until the maker of the app discovers there are issues soon afterwards and issues another app update that resolves it (this seems to be done within a short amount of time, but sometimes can be as long as a few days).

Not saying everyone's problems with this are software, as some do seem to have some hardware related issues. But I can say with absolute certainty that at least some of us are experiencing the issues due to software (conflicts with apps that get updated).

Options

1 Posts

08-30-2018

US

2 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 237 of 245

2018-08-30, 14:14 PM

I'm having a problem with my sim card to my phone it's saying that my sim card blocked emergency calls only... How can I get it fixed??? And find out what network I'm on ?? Zoe please try and help me xx

Options

1 Posts

12-29-2018

US

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 238 of 245

2018-12-29, 8:52 AM

Those who are facing these problems no need for any technical stuff just blow dry the Sim slot with ur mouth and wait for 10 minutes and also clean that golden area where you gonna insert ur Sim....hope it helps thanks...I did this as last resort after factory formatting,resetting,removing Sims multiple times...And this trick work.Overtime the device accumulates dust so there the problem arises...Hope it helps thanks ...guys

Options

13 Posts

03-13-2017

US

12 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 239 of 245

2018-12-29, 14:49 PM

Just cover the non-conductive side of the Sim card with cellotape. This will slightly increase the thickness and ensure positive contact. I did this two years ago and have not had a single problem since.

Options

2 Posts

12-22-2019

US

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 240 of 245

2019-12-22, 1:39 AM

Many people have had the same problem I am now having and I don't see a good solution. Moto G4 no longer recognizes SIM card after I used another card for just one month in New Zealand (that worked). Would not recognize old TracFone card that I put back in it or new TracFone (Verizon) I bought at Best Buy to make sure noting was wrong with the card. Does this mean I just junk the phone. How about some help Lenovo/Motorola? Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete