Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

Re: Moto G4 SIM card not detected/dissapears

2016-11-08, 16:28 PM

Hi all,

To anyone having this issue, kindly provide the name of the SIM card you are using and please take a picture of the Front/Back of the SIM card.

Please take a moment as well to update your forum profile with the current IMEI or SN from your device.
Need help updating your profile? See here.

Thanks,

Joy

Motorola Support

Options

28 Posts

03-15-2015

Brazil

23 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 32 of 245

2016-11-10, 22:28 PM

I'm currently using a GiffGaff SIM.  It was a brand new one, and is a combination card - ie it could be broken down from mini to micro to nano.  I obviously chose the micro size.  I did not **bleep** the join between micro and nano.  Are you thinking that some sims might be harder on the slot pins than others?

Options

28 Posts

03-15-2015

Brazil

23 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 33 of 245

2016-11-10, 22:31 PM

...where '**bleep**' replaces the completely normal word 'cr4ck'...  Suppose I should have used 'break'... 

Options

1 Posts

11-27-2016

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 34 of 245

2016-11-27, 1:09 AM

purchased Moto G4 from Consumer Cellular 1 wk ago ... immediately began having "no sim card" issues ... after no resolution via CC they sent me another phone which arrived 1 day ago ... same issue, "no sim card" about every hour or so ... power down/restart works for about another hour :( ... love the phone except cannot use it ... major problem ... will switching towers from AT&T to T-mobile resolve issue? ... CC states they're unaware of issues w/this ph ... I'm finding that very hard to believe given so many here w/identical problem w/same phone, of which I now have 2 :(

Options

1 Posts

12-01-2016

US

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 35 of 245

2016-12-01, 18:53 PM

I am having the same issue. I received my new Moto G4 Plus last night, everything seemed to work fine. Brought it to work with me this morning, set it on my desk and listened to Pandora until lunch. Called my wife, spoke with her for about 10 minutes, then hung up and set the phone back on my desk. As I am searching music channels I notice that there is no SIM recognized. I have owned the phone for less than 24 hours!

I tried re-booting, safe mode booting, removing and re-installing the SIM card... nothing helps and the SIM has not once been recognized. This is unacceptable! The "solutions" offered on this forum are a joke. All I see is "Give me your information, we need more info". There is not one viable,working solution to this issue on this entire website. I loved my Moto G 4G LTE for the last 2+ years. It was a rock solid phone that never gave me any issues. Lenovo, please step up your game and RESOLVE this issue.

Options

1 Posts

12-02-2016

US

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 36 of 245

2016-12-02, 17:26 PM

I am facing the same issue - already replaced the phone twice, replaced my sim card also but no luck...disable the wifi ...no luck.... It will work for some time then again sim card not detected and I have to restart...

Any solution?

Options

28 Posts

03-15-2015

Brazil

23 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 37 of 245

2016-12-03, 8:30 AM

I am wondering if heat is playing a role with these SIM slot pins?  With them being as thin as they are, could the heat generated by periods of use, charging, the initial hard work of installing all your apps when you initialise the phone, etc, be causing the pins to soften slightly and settle in a more level position?  I ask this because my initial solution worked for around a month, then the phone lost contact with the SIM again.  I really needed to make a call - I found that if I held the phone with the back off in such a way as to push on the SIM card quite hard (inwards and downwards) the connection was made, but lost when I let go.  I was out in the car so had no access to my tools... My solution this time was a small piece of thin card from a paracetamol box end-tab carefully torn to the size of my SIM, then inserted into the slot so as to rest against the top of the slot.  This I reinserted the SIM between the card and the contacts.  This had the desired effect, and has been working well for over a week so far.  

Moto- some people have this issue, some say they can take out and reinsert sims at will with no problems. It would be a stretch to believe that all the phones in a model range are made from the same batch of parts, or even at the same factory on the same line... Surely you can see there is a possible hardware issue with this SIM slot? 

Rather than telling me why my solutions are not recommended, tell me why they work? Why is a mechanical fix having an effect where no software fixes do?  

And sending people back to the shop to change phone would only solve the issue when the exchange just happens to swap out a bad-batch unit with a good one.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 38 of 245

2016-12-03, 13:22 PM

wrote:

I am wondering if heat is playing a role with these SIM slot pins?  With them being as thin as they are, could the heat generated by periods of use, charging, the initial hard work of installing all your apps when you initialise the phone, etc, be causing the pins to soften slightly and settle in a more level position?  I ask this because my initial solution worked for around a month, then the phone lost contact with the SIM again.  I really needed to make a call - I found that if I held the phone with the back off in such a way as to push on the SIM card quite hard (inwards and downwards) the connection was made, but lost when I let go.  I was out in the car so had no access to my tools... My solution this time was a small piece of thin card from a paracetamol box end-tab carefully torn to the size of my SIM, then inserted into the slot so as to rest against the top of the slot.  This I reinserted the SIM between the card and the contacts.  This had the desired effect, and has been working well for over a week so far.  

Moto- some people have this issue, some say they can take out and reinsert sims at will with no problems. It would be a stretch to believe that all the phones in a model range are made from the same batch of parts, or even at the same factory on the same line... Surely you can see there is a possible hardware issue with this SIM slot? 

Rather than telling me why my solutions are not recommended, tell me why they work? Why is a mechanical fix having an effect where no software fixes do?  

And sending people back to the shop to change phone would only solve the issue when the exchange just happens to swap out a bad-batch unit with a good one.

If your problem is hardware related, service/repair/replace is your next step.

no one ever said there could not be hardware issue. If you go through troubleshooting steps of safemode, reset, etc then it could be hardware. 

You have a warranty, you should take the phone in. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28 Posts

03-15-2015

Brazil

23 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 39 of 245

2016-12-03, 14:08 PM

So, has Moto come up with a way to differentiate between the new phones that will work on, and the new ones that will have an issue? tbh my warranty lasts a year, and while I can keep this thing working I'll do that rather than go through the hit and hope of another new phone, and having to yet again do the installation of all my apps.  

Would be much better if Moto could bring their new handset reliability up to parity with other manufacturers.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 40 of 245

2016-12-03, 14:54 PM

wrote:

So, has Moto come up with a way to differentiate between the new phones that will work on, and the new ones that will have an issue? tbh my warranty lasts a year, and while I can keep this thing working I'll do that rather than go through the hit and hope of another new phone, and having to yet again do the installation of all my apps.  

Would be much better if Moto could bring their new handset reliability up to parity with other manufacturers.

For all we know, the proble is due to user action.

There is no data to say that Moto is any less reliable then any vendor. We only have forum posts to go by. Some Other manufacturers dont have forums or censor criticism.  I am sure Moto engineers follow the defect rate of products and have the same level of acceptable failures as others in the phone industry. 

If you looked at complaints on some of the iphone models, a consumer would say the same thing, but we know the overall numbers of users affected are not that high. There is alsothe issue that some failed components are made by other vendors, and issues dont appear for months.  All oems face this. 

You seem to have identified the problem, and a solution has been proposed. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete