05-31-2017

US

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 24

Moto G4 freezes/automatically restarts when using VPN after update to Nougat

2017-05-31, 14:30 PM

Hi all, my problem is what it says in the subject. I never had a problem before the update to Nougat, but after updating, my phone will freeze and/or automatically restart once I've established a VPN connection. Sometimes it'll do so immediately, sometimes it'll do so after ten minutes or so, and sometimes it'll do so after a few hours. I've no clue what triggers it (there seems to be no set patterns - sometimes it'll freeze when I'm still on the settings page, other times in the midst of browsing a webpage/my e-mails in the Gmail app/insert other scenario, and so on), and I've already cleared the cache, but that hasn't helped.

Since the only options left that I know of seem to be restoring to factory settings or rooting my phone and downgrading back to Marshmallow I've decided to come here and see if anyone can think of anything else that I can try, as I'd really rather not like to have to go through the hassle of the above two options.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Solved! See the solution
Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5839 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 24

Re: Moto G4 freezes/automatically restarts when using VPN after update to Nougat

2017-05-31, 14:41 PM

wrote:

Hi all, my problem is what it says in the subject. I never had a problem before the update to Nougat, but after updating, my phone will freeze and/or automatically restart once I've established a VPN connection. Sometimes it'll do so immediately, sometimes it'll do so after ten minutes or so, and sometimes it'll do so after a few hours. I've no clue what triggers it (there seems to be no set patterns - sometimes it'll freeze when I'm still on the settings page, other times in the midst of browsing a webpage/my e-mails in the Gmail app/insert other scenario, and so on), and I've already cleared the cache, but that hasn't helped.

Since the only options left that I know of seem to be restoring to factory settings or rooting my phone and downgrading back to Marshmallow I've decided to come here and see if anyone can think of anything else that I can try, as I'd really rather not like to have to go through the hassle of the above two options.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It is not unusual for major updates to create odd behavior issues. 

A definitive test and troubleshooting step is to do  a reset and test before installing or restoring any applications.  Rooting and or downgrading is never recommended as it could easily result in a bricked device now, or later if the phone tries to install new updates. Downgrading is not supported for any phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

2 Posts

08-22-2017

BR

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 3 of 24

Re: Moto G4 freezes/automatically restarts when using VPN after update to Nougat

2017-08-22, 13:55 PM

Is this problem solved?

I got the same problem, seems like the more i use the vpn, faster the phone freezes.

Still waiting for the solution.

Options

2 Posts

08-22-2017

BR

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 4 of 24

2017-08-22, 14:01 PM

Got the same problem.

Any solution?

Options

4 Posts

08-29-2017

DE

21 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 5 of 24

2017-08-29, 12:52 PM

Same problem with my G4 Plus.

Hope there will be a SW solution.

Br,

Matthias

Options

181 Posts

12-07-2016

US

232 Signins

1418 Page Views

• Views: 1418
  • Message 6 of 24

2017-08-31, 12:59 PM

Hi I don't know if it helps.

I have been using OpenVPN client successfully before and after Nougat and it worked like a charm.

I have now moved on to OpenVPN for Android since the other one was never updated again. I understand it really uses the underlying OS VPN. and it is just a front end.

On the other end, I have a pfSense firewall with OpenVPN up to date. Things seem to be working fine.

Could it be that your phone is being forced to use Internet through VPN by client or (worst) server options and your phone apps can't reach something through it? It can be just settings or there are worst things.

Please check with the VPN provider or your IT stuff.

Image attached shows an option to force traffic on client to be redirected through the VPN server

Options

29 Posts

02-14-2017

PT

79 Signins

422 Page Views

• Views: 422
  • Message 7 of 24

2017-09-15, 16:07 PM

Hello all

I have exact same problem. After update to nougat when I use vpn phone freeze and then reboots. this can happen after 5 minutes of vpn / rdp use (without problems) or can happen 30 seconds after vpn established. Sometimes when I'm fast doing something on my pc via vpn/rdp on phone and then disconnect vpn phone doesn't freeze or reboot. But 90% of time it freezes / reboot making it useless for vpn/rdp remote support, which I need for my work. I must state again that with marshmallow vpn worked flawless. So it's something with nougat update. BTW I use L2TP/IPSec PSK vpn.

I will be waiting for a solution cause this is very annoying and with all the other problems this nougat bring to our phones i suspect I will never buy another lenovo.

I will be waiting for someone to respond.

Options

181 Posts

12-07-2016

US

232 Signins

1418 Page Views

• Views: 1418
  • Message 8 of 24

2017-09-15, 16:23 PM

Guys I believe it is part of the internals of the Android version, and considering they may not update it, why don't you try a third party?

Options

29 Posts

02-14-2017

PT

79 Signins

422 Page Views

• Views: 422
  • Message 9 of 24

2017-09-15, 17:21 PM

I wiped cache partition and been able to use vpn and rdp for 2 minutes without hang. Let's see if this is permanent or just luck. I'll update if I see the freezes/reboots again.

Options

4 Posts

08-29-2017

DE

21 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 10 of 24

2017-10-16, 7:10 AM
Does that help to wipe the cache?
Just for my info.....I have stock recovery, so wiping is no option for me.
Got new september security update, but the issue still remains.

Does anyone has experience with 3rd party VPN apps compatible (not OpenVPN, require IPSec(fritzbox))?

Br,
Matthias
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete