Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-23-2017

India

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 6

Moto G4 plus turbo charger causes frequent sudden switch offs

2017-09-24, 4:44 AM

I've been using the Moto G4 plus since the last one year. Recently I found my phone switching off suddenly without reason even while showing sufficient battery percentage. The problem kept increasing till the phone wouldn't stay on beyond a couple of minutes. I did a factory reset without using the backup of apps but the problem persisted. On reading up on the forum I found out about battery calibration and tried it using the turbo charger (let the phone discharge fully then charge fully toll 100% and kept it for an hour additional) twice. The problem worsened and the phone wouldn't even stay on for a minute. Then I repeated the battery callibration using a normal charger and to my surprise the phone seemed to work perfectly for almost 7-8 hrs. Thereafter I've realised that even if I charge the phone using the turbo charger for a few minutes, the problem reoccurs. Only on charging the phone with a normal charger does it seem to work beyond a few hours. But a normal charge takes around 7-8 hours and it's not possible to always do that. Do I need to change the battery or the motherboard or something else altogether?

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Moto G4 plus turbo charger causes frequent sudden switch offs

2017-09-26, 16:35 PM

wrote:

I've been using the Moto G4 plus since the last one year. Recently I found my phone switching off suddenly without reason even while showing sufficient battery percentage. The problem kept increasing till the phone wouldn't stay on beyond a couple of minutes. I did a factory reset without using the backup of apps but the problem persisted. On reading up on the forum I found out about battery calibration and tried it using the turbo charger (let the phone discharge fully then charge fully toll 100% and kept it for an hour additional) twice. The problem worsened and the phone wouldn't even stay on for a minute. Then I repeated the battery callibration using a normal charger and to my surprise the phone seemed to work perfectly for almost 7-8 hrs. Thereafter I've realised that even if I charge the phone using the turbo charger for a few minutes, the problem reoccurs. Only on charging the phone with a normal charger does it seem to work beyond a few hours. But a normal charge takes around 7-8 hours and it's not possible to always do that. Do I need to change the battery or the motherboard or something else altogether?

Hi Vishwajeet21

Are you using the turbocharger that came with the phone? Have you tried using a different turbocharger? Seems like you have followed different steps on calibrating the battery. Here is the right step on how to calibrate the battery: Press and hold the Power button until the screen goes dark, about 7-10 seconds. When the screen goes dark, release the Power button and the phone will automatically reboot. Plug the phone in and let it charge overnight, using only the charger that came in the box with the phone. Observe the battery performance within 24 hours. Let me know how it goes. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

3 Posts

09-23-2017

India

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 3 of 6

2017-09-28, 11:06 AM
Hi Ella,

Tried out the battery callibration using the original turbo charger but there's no change in the status. The phone worked alright for a couple of hours after which the problem started.

Some additional info I've noticed:
1. The problem seems to worsen as the battery percentage drops. The phone seems to work fine till around 70% battery below which the problem starts and the battery drains father although not drastically.
2. The activities during which the phone seems to switch off frequently are around 1 sec in receiving a call, while restarting the phone when the intro video is being played and when I dial a number.
Options

1 Posts

10-02-2017

India

2 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 4 of 6

2017-10-02, 7:15 AM

I have experienced the similar issue with my G4 plus. 

have been using the mobile for about 1 year, of late the phone switches off by itself even with battery sufficiently charged - while charging, ringining, receiving calls. The problem has got worse.

Did the factory reset but seems no use.

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

Philippines

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 5 of 6

2017-10-05, 21:23 PM

Hi All, 

If resetting the phone with no restore has not helped, repair is the next option. You may walk down to our local service centre for further assistance, here is the link .

- Ella

Options

14 Posts

08-31-2017

India

21 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 6 of 6

2017-11-17, 3:29 AM

But what do we tell there?

Because the problem is not always there.

The phone gets switched off unexpectedly.

If they are not convinced with the problem, then what would we do?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms