Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

08-27-2016

India

9 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 1 of 6

Motorola Suite for PC / Mobile

2017-01-15, 20:05 PM

Motorola / Lenovo should come out with an app (PC Based with Mobile integration) for data transfer, backup, restore, edit, etc. functions. Absence of this makes it difficult to undertake these functions especially when the handset has many problems of over heating, ghost touch, hanging and rebooting. It had Migrate earlier, which was discontinued with introduction of Marhsmallow. I use a Motorola G⁴ Plus, which has been a disaster when it comes to latest android versions. Lenovo is screwing up the brand, which was a pioneer in communication technologies. And absence of such accessories makes ot more difficult to use.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Motorola Suite for PC / Mobile

2017-01-16, 1:24 AM

wrote:

Motorola / Lenovo should come out with an app (PC Based with Mobile integration) for data transfer, backup, restore, edit, etc. functions. Absence of this makes it difficult to undertake these functions especially when the handset has many problems of over heating, ghost touch, hanging and rebooting. It had Migrate earlier, which was discontinued with introduction of Marhsmallow. I use a Motorola G⁴ Plus, which has been a disaster when it comes to latest android versions. Lenovo is screwing up the brand, which was a pioneer in communication technologies. And absence of such accessories makes ot more difficult to use.

Most users sync with google play store, contacts, calendar, photos and gmail. This backs up all your data. If you have a PC all can be edited there as well. Also many of the new generation don't even have a PC. 

I switch phones monthly. All are always in sync with google's services. I find it very easy to set up a new phone. I enter my google account info, and in minutes most of my data is on my new phone. 

When pc sync did exist, most users would forget to plug in and then they had no backup. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

8 Posts

08-27-2016

India

9 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 3 of 6

2017-01-16, 3:10 AM

While I dont switch phones frequently, I have done some earlier and totally understand that the process with Android phones is simpler and linked to a specific account. Having said this, the problem is with the current phone, where it keeps flickering, is unable to use and hence difficult to backup data. The presence of a PC suite or desktop manager makes it easier to connect and copy the contents of the phone to a PC for future use or transfer to another phone. Motorola in the past did have a PC Suite, so why not keep it as a backup for such events? Please think from a customer's angle and not a Techie's, as your reply sounds. No offence please.

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 4 of 6

2017-01-16, 4:42 AM

wrote:

While I dont switch phones frequently, I have done some earlier and totally understand that the process with Android phones is simpler and linked to a specific account. Having said this, the problem is with the current phone, where it keeps flickering, is unable to use and hence difficult to backup data. The presence of a PC suite or desktop manager makes it easier to connect and copy the contents of the phone to a PC for future use or transfer to another phone. Motorola in the past did have a PC Suite, so why not keep it as a backup for such events? Please think from a customer's angle and not a Techie's, as your reply sounds. No offence please.

I'm not sure I see why you think that using a Google account to maintain up to the minute backups is "techie." In fact, many people who use Google/Gmail would not necessarily know HOW to connect their phones to a PC, nor would they necessarily HAVE a PC or a Mac or laptop (many nowadays are happy with a phone and a tablet), and they might not, in fact, be very "techie." So, for the average user, something that they do not have to set up or remember to do regularly, is actually a very good solution. 

In years past, I would occasionally back up my phone's data, but quite frankly, it's become redundant. Why duplicate what is already being done every day? That being said, however, if someone does NOT wish to use Google/Gmail, then some other method is needed. But there are plenty of efficient apps designed for backup (both free and paid apps)  to be found on the Play Store. I happen to use AirDroid when I want to wirelessly transfer ringtones or something along those lines. I also occasionally print out my Gmail contacts list to a PDF file, just in case I might need it. But having my data and preferences sync'd across all my devices is, to me, an ideal solution. My photos are ALL stored automatically in Google cloud, so they won't be lost. All my apps can be found in my Google Play Store list of apps I've downloaded or purchased. 

Case in point -- my sister recently lost her phone (we did find it eventually), but in the meantime, we got her an inexpensive used Moto phone, and within minutes of inputting her account information, she had all her contacts, and other information ready to use. 

One of the reasons some aspects of the Moto experience have changed over the last few years is because they are trying NOT to duplicate features that are available in updated versions of Android, or can be handled more efficiently by another app. I don't suppose everyone approves of those changes, but you can't please all the people all of the time.

Options

3 Posts

08-09-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 5 of 6

2018-08-09, 2:34 AM

I never use my Gmail acct unless I have to for some phone or app-related reason, so I can never remember the durn password, unlike my yahoo account I've had since 1999.

So I'd like to be able to put all my SMS & MMS texts in a folder on my PC to free up space on my phone. I just want to download a program on my PC, plug in my phone by USB, like I do for my photos & vids, and download all my texts for safekeeping onto my PC.  I looked at lots of different "free" apps on Google Play. 

Many aren't free, you start with the trial and can only download 12 messages, for example.

Many reviews complained that only half the convo would be downloaded, or that it couldn't handle really long threads.

Others wanted to download the data onto the phone, but my problem is limited space already, so I need to get it OFF my phone.

One looked pretty good for $5.99, but I can't tell if that's a monthly or one-time fee. I sent an inquiry and because these are often run by individuals or small garage outfits, the proprietors can't reply in a timely fashion.

That brings up another point of concern about the Google Play apps: reliability & customer service.

So I was hoping Motorola/Lenovo did have a software suite available for my old Moto X.

I can't afford to upgrade my phone once a month. That's crazy expensive when they are running upwards of $2K for a new phone! Wow, mine cost $500 in 2012, and that was painful enough back then.  Plus it's a little intimidating trying to decide on what kind of a new phone I should get.

I've never really successfully accessed the Google Cloud feature. One of my concerns about it is how private my texts and data truly is when it's floating around in internet clouds. All it takes is a savvy hacker and all your stuff is easily accessible?

So yeah, I'd like to just be able to plug in my phone to the PC.  I'm not buying that upcoming generations don't know how to use PCs. They may not be able to buy one yet, but they sure know how to navigate them.

Options

1 Posts

09-02-2018

Switzerland

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 6 of 6

2018-09-02, 15:41 PM

Hi Racine11, i totaly agree with you. I just bought an Z2 and I'm thinking about returning it because of that issue. I never thought, that Lenovo isn't able to come up with a reliable suite. This cloud only approach isn't useable as an business mobile if you have to connect and share all data with google. Sorry Lenovo, try again and perhaps I will come back to you. But I wouldn't like invest hours of research again. In Europe most people like or have to have control about data.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms