Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

36 Posts

03-22-2017

Italy

99 Signins

445 Page Views

• Views: 445
  • Message 1031 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-04-01, 16:56 PM
wrote:

wrote:
is it true that moto g4 plus will get 7.1.1 update??

Motorola has made no mention this. I saw the rumor someone started too. But the truth is that only motorola knows. 

I doubt that any support person really has this information to share.  So don't believe everything you read. 

It certainly is possible, but no one knows. I say a 50/50 chance. I could be wrong. 

There are some people who are members of the MFN (Motorola Feedback Network). They can potentially have received the soak test, but all the informations that Motorola shares with them are confidential and they can't inform anyone.

Options

35 Posts

01-17-2017

United States of America

50 Signins

292 Page Views

• Views: 292
  • Message 1032 of 2450

2017-04-01, 17:45 PM

Thanks for the tip on SwiftKey.  Awesome!

My perspective on the G4 Plus is a little different, however.  I have two carriers; T-Mobile and Verizon.  One is GSM and the CDMA.  I don't want carrier branded handsets (don't like the carrier bloatware or the inflexibility in band coverage).  So my universe of eligible devices is fairly small if I want a handset that works on both systems.  I also travel internationally very often, so I want a phone that is going to work where ever I go in the world, either with one of my SIMs/plans or with a locally procurred SIM.

In the past I've used different handsets for different carriers.  I carried a OnePlus 3 for T-Mobile and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for Verizon.  The Note 3 was puchased as a "last-gen" device and was quite inexpensive.  The OnePlus 3 is about $100 more than Moto alteranatives.  When I switched to a single handset, I switched to a Moto X Pure (stale, after the Z came out).  The X Pure cost about $330 at the time.

So with that as background, here's what I like and don't like about the G4 Plus.  Screen size is fine.  Screen quality is below average compared to the OnePlus or Note 3 AMOLED displays or even the X Pure's QHD LCD display.  Performance of the G4 Plus is also bottom of the pack among these handsets.  

The 617 is fairly efficient in terms of preserving battery life, but it is extremely laggy when launching apps.  For example, whenever I launch Google Play Store there's a one-second+ delay before the app launches.  None of these other handsets have this lagginess and hesitation.  Even my Nexus 7 HD tablet with the old S4 Pro SoC is much smoother in operation than the G4 Plus.  That should not be; I have 4GB of RAM on mine.  I also have a G4 Play as a compact backup for travel and as a family spare.  The G4 Play is less laggy than the G4 Plus.  Go figure.  

Speaker quality is also bottom of the bunch among these handsets.  The X Pure was splendid on the sound front.  The G4 Plus is plastic and fairly thick.  The Note 3 was plastic, but thinner.  The X Pure was metal and glass.  The OnePlus 3 was also metal and glass - very nice.

I carry a lot of content on my phone, so the expandable SD card storage option for the two Motos and the Note 3 are aweome.  Don't like the non-expandable OnePus 3.

For dual network CDMA/GSM devices Iove the Motos.  Of the Motos I have had so far, by far the Moto X Pure was the best.  Fast, nice display, good camera, dual network, expandable storage, great sound, nice build and same price roughly of the G4 Plus.  I bought my G4 Plus after dropping my X Pure on the driveway.  I needed a phone quickly so went with the G4 Plus, relying mainly on the newer SoC, more memory and similar display size, and the expectation that being a much newer generation handset, it would receive OS updates that the X Pure would not.  If I could do it over knowing what I know now, I would have replaced the X Pure with another X Pure and not the G4 Plus for the reasons stated.

I have a brand new G5 Plus waiting for my son whose Verizon S6 Edge crapped out, and have high hopes for the G5 Plus with its better camera, better build, 14nm SoC and better battery life, but I figured he could be the guinea pig as I can't justify axing the G4 Plus since I've had it for less than a year (I like to keep handsets 2-3 years if possible).

So I don't think the G4 Plus lived up to my expectations or to the promise of its sepcifications.  Nor do I think it represents especially high value compared to even some older Moto alternatives priced similarly.  The slow security updating and even slower OS updating is just one more black mark, but that is not unique to the G4 Plus; it's a Lenovo issue. 

Options

2 Posts

03-14-2017

United States of America

7 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1033 of 2450

2017-04-01, 19:37 PM

I hear that.

You would think they would update more often since it's so close to stock. At least for security updates.

Options

4 Posts

04-01-2017

United States of America

12 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 1034 of 2450

2017-04-01, 22:32 PM

I have the same problem. It's frustrating. I don't want to have to factory reset my phone.

Options

58 Posts

08-30-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

149 Signins

931 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 931
  • Message 1035 of 2450

2017-04-02, 15:42 PM

wrote:

I did it for security, as mentioned by AlphaDog, "If the phone gets reset, the private key used to encrypt the SD card would be lost, and the card would be unreadable", so for me to be more secure I formatted the microSD before to apply the update.

Full format I hope.    Not the quick format which only writes a new file table....

Options

11 Posts

12-26-2016

Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

120 Signins

667 Page Views

• Views: 667
  • Message 1036 of 2450

2017-04-02, 15:47 PM

Yes, full format.

Options

11 Posts

12-26-2016

Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)

120 Signins

667 Page Views

• Views: 667
  • Message 1037 of 2450

2017-04-02, 19:01 PM

The update to Nougat has made the battery run quite long. Previously, I just disconnected the phone from the power supply and it started to drain the battery little by little. Now, I disconnect the phone and the battery level stays at 100% longer.

:smileysurprised:

What still bothering is the "burning screen". Unfortunately it is a factory defect and for those of us who live in countries like Venezuela it is really difficult to make a return of the product or service the phone in an official workshop (because it does not exist in this country). The only passive solution is to use filters on the screen and not to use it in long periods of time (something illogical).

Options

5 Posts

10-14-2016

United States of America

9 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1038 of 2450

2017-04-03, 20:54 PM

My daughter got the Nougat 7 update notice on her G4 (non-Plus) last night.  I'd had her checking since I got the update on my Plus several days ago.

Options

5 Posts

04-04-2017

Italy

37 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1039 of 2450

2017-04-04, 8:28 AM

Does anyone with the XT1602 reteu (Moto G4 Play retail Europe) received the update?

Options

25 Posts

03-13-2017

Ukraine

64 Signins

1226 Page Views

• Views: 1226
  • Message 1040 of 2450

2017-04-04, 9:13 AM

I have Moto G4 XT1625 AMZ USA and I have not received an update, in contrast to the others, are there any who have not received this model too?

PS. I'm worried about that, because it's already started to come on MotoG4 Play in the morning, and I do not have an ordinary

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms