Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 191 of 2450

Re: When will my G4 update to Nougat?

2017-01-16, 19:15 PM

For all those who continue to complain about update speed, here is an article from Android Authority. They did a detailed research project on update timelines. Guess what? Motorola is the second fastest. So maybe try looking at a few facts. Yes, these data are for the higher phones and flagships which will ALWAYS have priority over budget phones. And for those who say, "I'll just switch to an iPhone"... Fine, let us all know when you locate a NEW iPhone with comparable specs and screen size that costs $200.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-oem-update-speed-743073/?utm_source=Android+Authority&utm_campaign=bb6b691144-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_15&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_611ff01bd4-bb6b691144-84976641

LG: 78 days

LG took just 78 days to update the LG G5 to Nougat, doing so in South Korea on November 8. Less than two weeks later and the Sprint LG G5 was also among the first U.S. carrier devices to get the Nougat update, arriving on November 20. Nougat arrived for the first Canadian G5, on the Rogers network, one month later on December 20.

LG also handled the Marshmallow update well, taking less than two months to get its first Marshmallow update out to the Sprint LG G4. Based on these two examples, if you want the best combo of OEM and carrier in 2017, at least where update speed is concerned, it’d be worth your while to consider the Sprint LG G6.

Motorola: 88 days

Motorola’s stock-like interface has never taken too long to update and the bump to Nougat was no exception. Verizon Moto Z and Moto Z Force owners were treated to Nougat on November 18, two days earlier than LG and taking just 88 days in total. Canadian Moto Z’s got updated two days later on November 20.

HTC: 95 days

HTC has made some pretty bold statements about updates in the past, some of which were probably more hassle than they were worth. But with the Nougat update, HTC just quietly delivered. Unlocked HTC 10 owners got the update on November 25 and One M9 owners a few days later on December 5. HTC got the Nougat update out 95 days after Google released it.

Sony: 99 days

Sony just managed to scrape in under the 100-day threshold when it got the Nougat update out for the Xperia X Performance on November 29. The Xperia XZ started getting the update the very next day and the Xperia X and X Compact received the update on December 16.

Xiaomi: 126 days

Almost an entire month later and Xiaomi dropped the Chinese version of the MIUI 8 ROM for the Mi 5 on December 26, 126 days after Google. Xiaomi joined the Nougat beta party in 2016, indicating the company is getting serious about rolling out timely and stable updates.

OnePlus: 131 days

OnePlus met its promised obligations for a 2016 Nougat update by a matter of hours, dropping a Nougat beta for the OnePlus 3T on the same day as the stable release started rolling for the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T. That day was December 31, the last of the year and 131 days after Google released Nougat. Both the OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T will now share an update cycle.

Samsung: 143 days

Samsung had a tough year and its update performance wasn’t much better. Taking 143 days to get the final version of Nougat out for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge – which only happened a couple of days ago on January 12 – Samsung clearly still has some work to do where update speed is concerned. Of course, Samsung also has a product portfolio far larger than everyone else on this list, but it also has exponentially larger resources at hand.

Huawei: sidelined

Huawei still hasn’t rolled out a final Android Nougat update to any of its devices, but it did launch the Mate 9 a couple of months ago with Nougat out of the box. That said, it’s likely to be the last of all OEMs to get the update out to the first of its phones. The first Honor device, the Honor 8, is scheduled to be updated on January 18.

Options

58 Posts

08-30-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

149 Signins

931 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 931
  • Message 192 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:31 PM
And this post relates to the Moto G4 how ?

Not much comfort that the Moto Z got updates quicker than the competition.. when this is a Moto G4 discussion.
Options

66 Posts

10-15-2014

United States of America

92 Signins

747 Page Views

• Views: 747
  • Message 193 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:38 PM
What I take from this is they do not care about timely updates unless you own a flagship you are correct my iPhone 7 cost way more than $200 and so does the Moto z . The trend seems to be you
Get what you pay for and if you
Want updates without waiting a year for just one update then you should buy a flagship like a moto z or pixel or iPhone . The thing I find sad it that people defend oem's like Lenovo . You are going to be lucky to get one update on the G4 before the moto G5 and G5 plus are released in just a few months. Android 7.2 will be released before moto G4 gets 7.0 . Motorola used to be one of the first to offer updates but this is seriously not the case anymore. So yes a $200 phone is nice if you are ok with what it is and do not expect anything more and if you want to be secure and have new software features and enhancements then the $200 is not what you should be shopping for. I'm sorry a lot of people are still finding this out the hard way.
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 194 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:38 PM

wrote:
And this post relates to the Moto G4 how ?

Not much comfort that the Moto Z got updates quicker than the competition.. when this is a Moto G4 discussion.

it shows to all that complain that others are faster, that Motorola is near first in rolling out updates. Everyone that is tired of waiting does NOT really have a better option. 

And it shows how well the G4 is doing - a midrange/budget phone and the update has already started rolling out. It is keeping up with the flagship phones. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

66 Posts

10-15-2014

United States of America

92 Signins

747 Page Views

• Message 195 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:43 PM
Exactly. If you had a little training in android programming I can tell you for a fact it took me all of 3-4hours to build android from source for my my motoG4 and it runs fine I have 7.1 on my moto G4 in less than one afternoon but Lenovo almost a year later still has nothing
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 196 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:45 PM

wrote:
What I take from this is they do not care about timely updates unless you own a flagship you are correct my iPhone 7 cost way more than $200 and so does the Moto z . The trend seems to be you
Want updates without waiting a year for just one update then you should buy a flagship like a moto z or pixel or iPhone . The thing I find sad it that people defend oem's like Lenovo . You are going to be lucky to get one update on the G4 before the moto G5 and G5 plus are released in just a few months. Android 7.2 will be released before moto G4 gets 7.0 . Motorola used to be one of the first to offer updates but this is seriously not the case anymore. So yes a $200 phone is nice if you are ok with what it is and do not expect anything more and if you want to be secure and have new software features and enhancements then the $200 is not what you should be shopping for. I'm sorry a lot of people are still finding this out the hard way.

it is no mystery, and never has been. If you want the fastest updates, you have to go to a manufacturer that controls hardware and software. So that is Google or Apple. Every other android OEM has to wait for the final build of Android, then customize it. Even moto with near stock needs to add drivers for their hardware. It takes time.  This is the way it works. 

The take away from that article is that it works this way for all. So blaming Motorola and claiming some other Android OEM does it better is a waste.

the security update complaint is FUD. There are no workign exploits for anyone to truly worry about. There is more danger in being tricked to installing something and granting access. This happens way more often then any kind of exploit. 

you bough an iPhone 7 great... good for you. Yay!. You made your point. Again, you purchased from a company that controls hardware and software - so not a relevant comparison. 100% closed ecosystem. No variation, little customization. And it does what you want. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Message 197 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:51 PM

wrote:
Exactly. If you had a little training in android programming I can tell you for a fact it took me all of 3-4hours to build android from source for my my motoG4 and it runs fine I have 7.1 on my moto G4 in less than one afternoon but Lenovo almost a year later still has nothing

Building android from source has zero to do with building and incorporating hardware level drivers. You didn't have the source code for the drivers, so you describe hacking together a ROM made up of bits and pieces. Ripping driver modules from one OS and pluggin them into another has never been a reliable development method. 

You can assume what you want to about my background, but if you think what you did is the same as building a reliable ROM for a phone, you need a bi more training yourself. 

If all it tool was 3-4 hours, why do you think all the OEMs take months to do this? Because they enjoy reading these forum posts? 

Options

66 Posts

10-15-2014

United States of America

92 Signins

747 Page Views

• Message 198 of 2450

2017-01-16, 19:55 PM

ok sure

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1851
  • Message 199 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-01-16, 20:10 PM

Dress it up all you want... Doesn't hide the fact Moto G4/+ customers all over the world are getting fed up waiting. A roll out to one sole region slap bang at the end of Q4 2016 and then deam it as a kept promise is comical, far from a successful roll out is it? Also stop telling people if they want quicker updates to purchase a higher end phone. What % of people can actually fork out £700/800USD straight up for a high end phone? Or even on contract your talking £50/£60 a month. Price and fast updates are what attract customers to the G4 range. I was one who defected from IPhone due to these reasons. It's 5 months now since nougat release and since it was announced the Moto G range will be receiving the update and people are wondering why customers are getting fed up waiting? Especially as in 2 weeks time we'll be in the 2nd month of Q1 of 2017 and many regions will still have not received the update a whole 6 months after release. Also doesn't help the fact that Motorola are apparently set to announce new ranges, which is adding to the current discontent. All these reasons and people still got get round the fact customers are getting (excused the language) really pissed off

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 200 of 2450

2017-01-16, 20:20 PM

wrote:

Getting what you pay for is hardly a new "trend." It's been a principle of human commerce for a very long time, though there are exceptions...sometimes getting more... or getting less. I paid $200 for the G4 based on what it CAN do as purchased. It strikes me as  fair price for a reasonably well equipped phone. An update might enhance it, or not. Either way, I received my money's worth. I have a Note and an S7 Edge, neither of which has been updated...and YET the first wave of the Nougat update has been rolling out in India for a couple of weeks. So Moto is slow? I think not. By the way, I have no need to "defend" Lenovo/Moto, but I will speak up on behalf of rationality.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms