Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

66 Posts

10-15-2014

United States of America

92 Signins

747 Page Views

• Views: 747
  • Message 301 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-01-24, 15:38 PM

What I have learned over the past two years is that you are so much better off going with sprint or at&t on one of the programs they have like at&t I pay my bill and just $20 extra per month and I get either a google pixel or an iPhone 7 and every 12 months I give them the phone back and I get a brand new phone every year .

Both phones get updates instantly and you will always have the best phone on the market. You do not have to punish yourself and buying a budget phone will save you a few dollars but you will not be happy . 

Do yourself a favor and spend just a little more you will be happy you did.

Options

54 Posts

10-15-2016

United States of America

520 Signins

3582 Page Views

• Views: 3582
  • Message 302 of 2450

2017-01-24, 16:38 PM

I just looked at the AT&T website and they'll sell me a Galaxy S7 for $23.17/month for THIRTY! Months. (Meaning $695 total.) If I want the joy of changing phones every year I can do that for an additional $29/month. Then it tells you that a protection plan is required which starts at $8. (However even though it says "Required" I was able to deselect it.) And then their cheapest plan is $50/month.

So even with the "required" protection plan deselected that's over $1200 a year for a phone. I guess for that I would get a fancier phone but $1200/year would not make me happy at all. I use a Moto E2 that cost $10 at Best Buy on black Friday, and use Tracfone for service - so the total cost is around $105/year.

BTW, I splurged on the G4, then returned it because of the ghost touch. However the E2 continues to be trouble-free, and after a couple of days of the expensive G4 randomly doing its own thing, the E2 is delightful!

Options

114 Posts

10-23-2016

Belgium

263 Signins

1307 Page Views

• Views: 1307
  • Message 303 of 2450

2017-01-24, 17:07 PM

Can everybody buy such a expensive phone ? I don't think so !

Options

1 Posts

01-29-2017

Australia

10 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 304 of 2450

2017-01-30, 3:55 AM

Have new moto 4G plus for about 3 weeks now. Build no. MPJ24.139–23.4. Australian stock.

This is my 3rd Motorola. Upgraded from the moto G i had for 2.5 years after I went swimming with it. I didn't

consider other brands when I bought this due to such positive experience.

The phone definitely heats up quickly particularly taking video. The video started to jump after 2mins the other day and that was the only video I took. I don't play games.

I try not to be pessimistic but something doesn't seem right. 

I'm on security patch 1 may 2016 still.

Always received regular updates before although lately probably since Lenovo took over I haven't received any. Thought might be different with new phone. Clearly this has changed somewhere.

1 of the main reasons I bought another motorola phone was the battery life, the update regularity previously and build quality.

Saw a Sony Xpera Z5 the other day with nougat installed already and he had it for a little while now. Can't believe that

My moto g use to receive updates before my partners S5. Seemed to get updated monthly. Admittedly the first few new version releases would be slow with bugs to iron out and minimal app support but this would resolve itself with in a month. It was always fun playing with the new tricks and getting used to them before everyone else.

The main concerns for me

POSITIVES

1. I wanted a better quality camera to moto g and the quality of the camera met my expectations for price.

2. Still happy with plain Android experience.

NEGATIVES

1. The heat issue using video is a concern the way it starts to affect video quality.

2. The age of the security patch is starting to concern me.

3. The length of time upgrading to new Android version. Is this an indication of how long we will be waiting for the next version release. We are going to be behind everyone else by the time we get it to learn the new tricks. 

Come on Motorola/Lenovo.

Matt

Options

27 Posts

06-29-2014

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

36 Signins

362 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 362
  • Message 305 of 2450

2017-01-30, 11:16 AM

I have a UK XT1642 purchased from Motorola directly through Moto Maker.  My work colleague has the same phone purchased through the same channel.  He has been given the Nougat update OTA and I haven't despite me being a member of the Motorola Feedback Network!  Can someone tell me what the point of MFN is?  I have never in 7yrs of membership and ownership of a Moto phone had early release of a new update. I got asked to test a version of Moto Actions once.... wow.

I'm seriously considering dropping out of MFN due to this.  It's clearly of little to no benefit for users.

Options

35 Posts

11-16-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

346 Signins

2119 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2119
  • Message 306 of 2450

2017-01-30, 19:16 PM
>My work colleague has the same phone purchased through the same channel.  He has been given the Nougat update OTA and I haven't<

Interesting. That's the first instance of a Moto G4 Nougat update I've heard of outside India.

Leaving aside Nougat, I do find it surprising that Lenovo hasn't provided security updates. This is presumably either incompetence, inefficiency or laziness.
Options

231 Posts

12-18-2014

United States of America

251 Signins

1900 Page Views

• Views: 1900
  • Message 307 of 2450

2017-01-30, 19:44 PM

wrote:

I have a UK XT1642 purchased from Motorola directly through Moto Maker.  My work colleague has the same phone purchased through the same channel.  He has been given the Nougat update OTA and I haven't despite me being a member of the Motorola Feedback Network!  Can someone tell me what the point of MFN is?  I have never in 7yrs of membership and ownership of a Moto phone had early release of a new update. I got asked to test a version of Moto Actions once.... wow.

I'm seriously considering dropping out of MFN due to this.  It's clearly of little to no benefit for users.

I'm only going by what I've been told, but only a fraction of people that sign up on MFN get chosen for a soak test. I believe that they try to take a number from different carriers. I know folks that have owned every Moto G model ever released and have never gotten into a soak test.

Options

12 Posts

09-30-2016

United States of America

31 Signins

287 Page Views

• Views: 287
  • Message 308 of 2450

2017-01-30, 23:04 PM

Interesting. That's the first instance of a Moto G4 Nougat update I've heard of outside India.

Leaving aside Nougat, I do find it surprising that Lenovo hasn't provided security updates. This is presumably either incompetence, inefficiency or laziness.

The only resonable conclusion is that Lenovo is both incompetent AND lazy, destroying what was once a reputable brand in the process...

Options

28 Posts

01-10-2017

Australia

45 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 309 of 2450

2017-01-30, 23:21 PM

The fact that there has been no response from any officials is all the proof I need that they clearly give zero f's about their customers. 

I have nothing further to add to this thread :(

Options

2 Posts

09-16-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 310 of 2450

2017-01-31, 14:19 PM

I have previously bought Moto E's, Moto G2, G3, and from Lenovo MotoG4+ and Moto X.  CUstomer service has gone down (delivery from the factory took ..........).  And updates seem to have gone away.  If you ask Lenovo about when the update will come through (online), it asks what carrier you bought it from....without a listing of "Motorola".

It just seems like they don't want return customers anymore.  If that is the case, they succeeeded in this case.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms