Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1851
  • Message 341 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-02-02, 19:21 PM

More and more customers getting pissed off with lenovo every day. Now going on 6 months since it was announced the G4 range would be getting nougat update and still nothing in the vast majority of the market and rumours the roll out is delayed even further. There is no excuses, not even the mods could justify defending this joke of a company

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 342 of 2450

2017-02-02, 19:51 PM

wrote:

More and more customers getting pissed off with lenovo every day. Now going on 6 months since it was announced the G4 range would be getting nougat update and still nothing in the vast majority of the market and rumours the roll out is delayed even further. There is no excuses, not even the mods could justify defending this joke of a company

After more than three years in this forum, it is not my observation that the moderators (who are volunteers) are focused on justifying the company's decisions. Yes, the update was tentatively scheduled for the end of 2016, and rollouts do NOT happen simultaneously to all regions and variants. After the first wave, a number of issues seem to have arisen, which must be addressed. If you would like to have the OS update as is, then apparently you don't mind dealing with those issues yourself. Motorola has both a good and not so good reputation over the past 30 years or so. Some products have been exceptional and even cutting edge. Others have been mediocre. What company's products are any different?

Moto advertised to buyers that the G4 series would eventually be upgraded to Android 7.0, and obviously they are making good on that assurance. But, like ANY manufacturer, they never committed to a specific date. I've owned cell phones since they were big bricks carried around in bags. I have owned many Motorola devices, as well as Samsung and LG and Nexus.

I buy phones for what they CAN DO WHEN I BUY THEM, not for a future "what if." Motorola has been around in some form since 1928. Despite their ups and downs, they could hardly be referred to as a "joke" except by those with very little perspective. And, their problems began LONG before Lenovo came into the picture, back in 2011 when they had lost some 4 BILLION dollars in only two years, and split into two separate entities. 

They  made a good comeback with the Moto X, X2 and now the Z. The G4 is a low end, low cost phone. If it never received an OS update, it would be still, in my opinion, be worth the very modest cost. Could it be better? Yes. Could it be more problem-free? Absolutely. But I can say that about almost any consumer item I've ever bought.

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Views: 1851
  • Message 343 of 2450

2017-02-02, 20:29 PM

Rev. Nicely written thread until I read over it and then realised that you couldn't help yourself with your customary dig slap bang in the centre of it, implying that I want the update in its current state. The fact seems to bypass yourself that people are getting annoyed of waiting. Is 6 months after release of the software not too long of a time to wait? Anything longer than 6 months what's the point? Especially when in a few months the newer range will be announced/released. It doesn't matter if it a so called low end priced phone, of an announcement is made that a phone will be getting an update does it really take over 6 months to get the software correct? Don't forget it was august 2016 it was announced were now in February 2017 and rumours have arised that they still haven't got it right and is now delayed even further. In one market the roll out has been delayed 3 times and customers now expect to get the roll out in march a whopping 3 months after they were told they will originally received it. Now if that isn't being inconsistent, please enlighten me. By the way, I also had phones back in the 90s and guess what 20 years ago I had a Motorola

BTW FYI what I do actually want from any company I purchase an item from, is a good level of consistency and good customer service that puts the customer first. Lenovo do neither

Options

26 Posts

08-25-2016

Costa Rica

91 Signins

396 Page Views

• Views: 396
  • Message 344 of 2450

2017-02-02, 20:38 PM

Sorry, IMHO, that sound like a mediocre answer.

If Lenovo/Motorola indicated that MotoG4 can be upgrade to Nougat, they have to do it. And for her reputation, they have to do it in the minor time or just became another company that left phone without support.

Or it's because they think that the consumer change phones at year, and they can left the promises of Nougat on the air.

Just look, MotoG5, less powerfull hardware and comes with Nougat. What's that?

I'm happy with my MotoG4 but simple expected more of Lenovo bringind us Nougat.

Options

27 Posts

06-29-2014

36 Signins

362 Page Views

• Views: 362
  • Message 345 of 2450

2017-02-02, 20:43 PM

"I buy phones for what they CAN DO WHEN I BUY THEM, not for a future "what if."

Really?  Do you buy other computers with the same attitude?  An Android smartphone is a moble linux computer. Do you buy a Windows PC and think it would be acceptable never to get any security updates whatsoever from Microsoft or a Mac with the same attitude from Apple leaving you vulnerable to phishing, exploits, malware and viruses?  If you do you're very naive my friend.

Most of us here would settle for Marshmallow security updates over being delivered Nougat.  Not having any vulnerabilities patched on a Moto G4 Plus since July 2016 is bang out of order.

Options

70 Posts

02-01-2017

127 Signins

643 Page Views

• Views: 643
  • Message 346 of 2450

2017-02-02, 21:24 PM

RevLauren: I'm not saying that Motorola/Lenovo is a bad brand. I'm saying that it used to good, but not I feel it is deteriorating, becoming mediocre.

Also, I understand that they want to release an error-free Nougat update. I'm of course prefer a late but correct Nougat update over an early but buggy one. BUT... why no security updates? Last one was 1 July 2016. That's seven (!) months ago. I don't like the idea that our phones are vulnerable for any virus/malware/ransomware/exploit/you-name-it that apperaed in the last 7 months. (I heard there was/is one which affects your phone simply by receiving an MMS, requiring no user interaction whatsoever. Pretty scary...) I was very upset when Lenovo announced last summer that they won't do monthly security patched because "it's too difficult." But I never thought that would leave their Moto G4 customer without a secuirty patch for SEVEN months. That feels like betraying their customers. Sorry...

Options

87 Posts

10-07-2016

213 Signins

872 Page Views

• Views: 872
  • Message 347 of 2450

2017-02-02, 21:31 PM
Well the Z play of mine gets the monthly updates, so thats a nonsense excuse!
Options

70 Posts

02-01-2017

127 Signins

643 Page Views

• Message 348 of 2450

2017-02-02, 21:38 PM

Yes, that's unfortunatly what most manufacturers do nowadays, Samsung included. "Buy our flagship phone for £600-£800 and you'll get all the updates. Buy anything cheaper from our range and you get ... maybe something, sometime, if you're lucky." But that's nonsense. Most people (including myself) don't need a flagship phone. To use Skype, Waze, Kindle, Google Play Music etc. you don't need a £600-£800 phone with the most powerful mobile processor and a 4K screen. But we do need updates...

Options

70 Posts

02-01-2017

127 Signins

643 Page Views

• Message 349 of 2450

2017-02-02, 21:41 PM

By the way... I also happen to have a Lenovo Tab 3 8" tablet. This I bought for £89 in Argos... Yet, it has the October 2016 security patch. So if Lenovo could update this really budget tablet, then how comes they just won't update the £159 Moto G4 phone?

Options

46 Posts

02-22-2015

Spain

185 Signins

1579 Page Views

• Views: 1579
  • Message 350 of 2450

2017-02-02, 22:45 PM

According to Moto Germany Twitter, the Moto Z Play's update will be delayed until early March. And the Moto X series' update is expected to be delayed until May.

No news about the G4, but still... This is starting to get worrying.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms