Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 371 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-02-04, 21:59 PM

wrote:

We are waiting still, and the updates don't come , so what's the problem ? , Motorola that's the problem no service what so ever ....!

Yes, and everyone in the US is waiting as well. Updates come out in phases. That's the way it is. Get over it.

My $800 S7 Edge has 6.01 ... My $600 Note 5 has 6.0.1. My grandson's LG G5 has 6.0.1. Most phones are running Marshmallow or LOWER. So would everyone stop taking it as a personal affront that they haven't yet received Nougat.

And...given the issues people have posted here in the forum WITH the upgrade, and given that i'm not a masochist, I'd rather wait until the bugs are worked out of an OS before inflicting it on my devices.

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1851
  • Message 372 of 2450

2017-02-04, 22:53 PM

Bloody hell, why would you need 1.5k worth of phones?

Options

35 Posts

10-20-2016

United States of America

169 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 373 of 2450

2017-02-04, 22:57 PM

Maybe finally got tired of defending Motorola and so bought them instead thinking he'll get Nougat because that's all that matters in a phone, the price directly correlates to likelyhood of getting Android updates. But was turned out he got duped 4 times now that he's back to defending Motorola? Not sure

I mean this is solid evidence that no phone has Nougat, so why are we crying for being lied to about false release time framesand empty promises with no explanations? *shrug*

(nevermind that Nougat *IS* actually already released for LG G5 and Samsung S7 Edge already.. phones which are much more customized than the barebones Moto G4 is.

LG G5 Nougat available as of late December 2016: http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g5-owners-hows-nougat-update-treating-you

Samsung S7 Nougat available as of last month in some parts, with more coming every week: http://www.gsmarena.com/nougat_rolls_out_for_unlocked_samsung_galaxy_s7_vodafone_uk__january_23-news-22836.php

And Samsung Note 5 and Galaxy S6 (phones much older and heavier customized than Moto G4) getting it in first half of 2017: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/19/nougat-update-coming-galaxy-s6-line-galaxy-note-5-first-half-2017/

At least Samsung and LG are competent enough to relase their updates in countries that aren't considered third world by many standards because they don't think testing beta releases on all population in a county is standard practice. Moto G4 Nougat is out in the likes of Brasil, India and Argentina, Moto afraid to release bad software to US because they won't be able to get away with half-assing it here like they try to pass off there

Options

27 Posts

01-10-2017

Australia

44 Signins

236 Page Views

• Views: 236
  • Message 374 of 2450

2017-02-05, 0:45 AM

I'd rather have a few minor bugs and a quick release schedule than 9 months worth of unpatched bugs and security issues,  security patches should be able to be applied without any changes to drivers or core apps.  There really is no excuse Marshmallow or Nougat aside..  

It's laziness and contempt for the end user who is left to ransom by the handset manufacturer as my phone is not a carrier device at all. 

Options

23 Posts

09-27-2012

United States

18 Signins

229 Page Views

• Views: 229
  • Message 375 of 2450

2017-02-05, 5:57 AM

The biggest complaint is the security updates, they should of be pushed on a regular basis, i just got a January security update on my other phone and still nothing on the G4 still on july security update.

Options

35 Posts

11-16-2016

346 Signins

2119 Page Views

• Views: 2119
  • Message 376 of 2450

2017-02-05, 10:53 AM

>My $800 S7 Edge has 6.01 ... My $600 Note 5 has 6.0.1. My grandson's LG G5 has 6.0.1. Most phones are running Marshmallow or LOWER. So would everyone stop taking it as a personal affront that they haven't yet received Nougat.<

What dates are the security patches on these phones? 

It could be argued that Lenovo's failure to provide timely security updates is rather more important than their failure to provide an updated OS. The latter doesn't leave your phone open to a variety of malware, and by all accounts there's plenty of that around in the Android ecosystem.   

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 377 of 2450

2017-02-05, 17:59 PM

Security patches: Nov, Aug, and Dec for those three phones. Yes, security updates are desirable, though the July, 2017 update addressed the major threats that had developed in the first half of the year. Let us also remember that despite exploits that have gotten a lot of press, our Android phones are relatively safe from exploitation if we take reasonable precautions, to wit: not downloading ANYTHING from a source other than the Play Store, and staying off public wifi when possible. If not possible, then using a good app like Lookout  Mobile Security is a fine solution (it is updated regularly).

Getting back to OS updates, and the assumption that Moto is particularly unreliable or untrustworthy in this regard, note the announcement published today from phonearena .. It seems my shiny new S7 Edge will not get the "promised" update to Nougat this quarter, and perhaps not in the next either. Why? Because they ran into problems with issues arising from the first wave of updates. 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-wont-receive-Android-7.0-Nougat-in-all-regions-in-Q1-2017_id90722

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Views: 1851
  • Message 378 of 2450

2017-02-05, 21:21 PM

Are you really not reading all the BS over Twitter etc and just not listening to the countless customers complaining on here? Also we're getting told on here to not believe any info from 3rd parties and your using a 3rd party website to put your point across ?

Options

46 Posts

02-22-2015

Spain

185 Signins

1579 Page Views

• Views: 1579
  • Message 379 of 2450

2017-02-06, 15:55 PM

RevLauren escribió:

Yes, security updates are desirable, though the July, 2017 update addressed the major threats that had developed in the first half of the year. Let us also remember that despite exploits that have gotten a lot of press, our Android phones are relatively safe from exploitation if we take reasonable precautions, to wit: not downloading ANYTHING from a source other than the Play Store, and staying off public wifi when possible.

I would feel much safer if my personal data wasn't exposed to some script kiddie stealing it if I make a mistake, just because Moto failed to deliver the apropiate security update in time.

Like other people said, if Nougat must be delayed in order to patch bugs, it's annoying but we can live with that. But at least they should push security updates.

We wouldn't forgive Microsoft or Apple if they decided to only release security updates twice a year to their desktop systems, even though common sense is enough to keep them safe too... And a smartphone usually contains much more personal information than a regular computer.

Options

87 Posts

10-07-2016

213 Signins

872 Page Views

• Views: 872
  • Message 380 of 2450

2017-02-06, 16:26 PM

And of course because Google don't vet apps in the store like Apple do, there's no chance of a malicious app appearing there is there? Never happened before has it? 

wrote:

Security patches: Nov, Aug, and Dec for those three phones. Yes, security updates are desirable, though the July, 2017 update addressed the major threats that had developed in the first half of the year. Let us also remember that despite exploits that have gotten a lot of press, our Android phones are relatively safe from exploitation if we take reasonable precautions, to wit: not downloading ANYTHING from a source other than the Play Store, and staying off public wifi when possible. If not possible, then using a good app like Lookout  Mobile Security is a fine solution (it is updated regularly).

Getting back to OS updates, and the assumption that Moto is particularly unreliable or untrustworthy in this regard, note the announcement published today from phonearena .. It seems my shiny new S7 Edge will not get the "promised" update to Nougat this quarter, and perhaps not in the next either. Why? Because they ran into problems with issues arising from the first wave of updates. 

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S7-edge-wont-receive-Android-7.0-Nougat-in-all-regions-in-Q1-2017_id90722

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms