Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1851
  • Message 471 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-02-16, 14:38 PM

Yes, mine too... Roll on June when my upgrade is due

Options

24 Posts

12-21-2016

Canada

32 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 472 of 2450

2017-02-16, 14:38 PM

wrote:

wrote:

gpioneer escribió:

Nougat is rolling out in Canada now

It's the exact same vesion released released in India and the few other countries back in December/January.

So much for RevLauren's saying of rather get a delayed version that is bug free. Oh my precious, how naive you are. With Lenovo you get the worst of all worlds - a delayed, buggy version! And no security patches! Woohoo

Wait, what?

If they were going to release the exact same version, why did they wait two months to do it? One would think that they were waiting to identify and iron out all bugs with their Indian customers' feedback and then release it to the rest of the world.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it feels like they are now rushing to release a buggy version worldwide just to make people shut up about the update before they announce the G5 series.

I'm not convinced that it's the exact same update.  We're not talking about rocket scientists here,  it's Lenovo. Plus, an update name isn't a line of code, it's just a name. To keep update history consistent, they could make changes and keep the same name. Then again, they're not rocket scientists,  so they're just throwing their hands up and releasing the bad update to everyone. I do know one thing,  it can't be exactly the same update unless things have changed since I worked on developing roms for the Moto G3. There would have to be some changes, small but still changes. 

I still wonder a little about how much trouble they've had with that release in india. I know we see complaints here and we read about them, but there are millions of G4's in India and I still haven't seen anything solid on how many are having problems. It's always the same, more people complain than praise.

It's not the same update. The Canadian G4 Plus is a model XT1641 (2 GB RAM, 32 storage) and the file available to update the G4 in India was reported to not work on the XT1641. The sites with instructons about how to manually upgrade a phone specificaly said it didn't work with the Canadian version.

Options

68 Posts

02-01-2017

125 Signins

633 Page Views

• Views: 633
  • Message 473 of 2450

2017-02-16, 14:53 PM

<off> Yes, the quality of these phones is not the best. I had to return the first one because the display was lacking whites or cold colours, everything was warm yellowish-orangish-reddish-browinsh, it was very annoying. The replacement had touch screen issues, namely screen started to perform random operations without anybody actually touching the phone, and then nothing but a full restart helped, when it happened 3 times in 2 days, I returned the second one too. Finally, I had the third Moto G4 (the replacement of the replacement...) for 3 months now, but I never ever can charge it from mains, as no matter what mains charger I use (I tried 4 different mains chargers so far, all good brands, not cheap ones!) it starts producing ghost touch phenomena, so I have to charge it from portable battery chargers (I have two 20000 mAh ones), which is just ridiculous. And then, there is no security patch since July, no Nougat update, no answer from Motorola/Lenovo regarding update timeframe. Yes, I used to be a Motorola fan, but sadly I have to say this will be my last Motorola phone :-(  </off>

Options

49 Posts

06-11-2016

98 Signins

614 Page Views

• Views: 614
  • Message 474 of 2450

2017-02-16, 16:27 PM

This will be my last Motorola as well. Purchased in May 2016 and haven't had a single update since I bought it. So disappointed I can't begin to tell you.

64gb, 4gb ram - I bought those specs to make it futureproof, so I could enjoy updates and a new OS upgrade. Fat chance. Awful service from Lenovo / Motorola.

Screen burn and battery life are other frustrating issues. I can almost live with them, but it sure makes it hard to recommend the device.

Hopefully customers will hit them where it hurts (their wallet) and this will force the company to change. 

Options

24 Posts

12-21-2016

Canada

32 Signins

233 Page Views

• Views: 233
  • Message 475 of 2450

2017-02-16, 16:51 PM

I have not had any problems with my G4 Plus. 

The Nougat upgrade was not that different then other midrange phones, it's not fair to compair it to phones that cost double the price. The only real complaint I have is with the lack of security updates.

What phone in the same price range is better? I'd buy a Pixel if I had loads of cash to spend on a phone, but I don't. The G4 Plus seems like a good phone for the money, but if they want to make sure my next phone will be a Moto they need to put more into keeping it updated. 

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Views: 1851
  • Message 476 of 2450

2017-02-16, 17:27 PM

It is the inconsistencies from lenovo and the problems with updates, which is why people are looking to go elsewhere for their next phone.

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 477 of 2450

2017-02-16, 18:40 PM

wrote:

gpioneer escribió:

It's the exact same vesion released released in India and the few other countries back in December/January.

So much for RevLauren's saying of rather get a delayed version that is bug free. Oh my precious, how naive you are. With Lenovo you get the worst of all worlds - a delayed, buggy version! And no security patches! Woohoo

Wait, what?

If they were going to release the exact same version, why did they wait two months to do it? One would think that they were waiting to identify and iron out all bugs with their Indian customers' feedback and then release it to the rest of the world.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it feels like they are now rushing to release a buggy version worldwide just to make people shut up about the update before they announce the G5 series.

Google did announce 7.1.1 on December 5 according to the Google blog:

https://blog.google/products/android/sweet-update-nougat-android-711/

indicates there are some signifiant changes or features added, so I would imagine that Moto is focused on getting 7.0 working properly on users' phones before even beginning to tackle 7.1. The 1 December security patch mentioned above by at least brings the build even with most other manufacturers' devices. Our Samsung S7 Edge and S7 are still on Marshmallow, although the security patch is updated to November. In March, the S7s will have been out for a year. So apparently Moto isn't the only one taking a lot of time to roll out OS updates. From this article of a month ago, one observes that many phones are scheduled to get 7.0, but not that many have actually seen it arrive.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-7-what-we-want-to-see-1311290

Options

26 Posts

08-25-2016

Costa Rica

91 Signins

396 Page Views

• Views: 396
  • Message 478 of 2450

2017-02-16, 19:12 PM

wrote:

What phone in the same price range is better? I'd buy a Pixel if I had loads of cash to spend on a phone, but I don't. ...

News say that Google maybe made a "low cost" Pixel.

Options

87 Posts

10-07-2016

213 Signins

872 Page Views

• Views: 872
  • Message 479 of 2450

2017-02-16, 19:20 PM

wrote:

wrote:

What phone in the same price range is better? I'd buy a Pixel if I had loads of cash to spend on a phone, but I don't. ...

News say that Google maybe made a "low cost" Pixel.

If they do, the G4 play and Z play will be gone. Like others if I go, I won't be back to Lenovo again. 

Options

35 Posts

10-20-2016

United States of America

169 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 480 of 2450

2017-02-16, 20:11 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

gpioneer escribió:

Wait, what?

I'm not convinced that it's the exact same update.  We're not talking about rocket scientists here,  it's Lenovo. Plus, an update name isn't a line of code, it's just a name. To keep update history consistent, they could make changes and keep the same name. Then again, they're not rocket scientists,  so they're just throwing their hands up and releasing the bad update to everyone. I do know one thing,  it can't be exactly the same update unless things have changed since I worked on developing roms for the Moto G3. There would have to be some changes, small but still changes. 

I still wonder a little about how much trouble they've had with that release in india. I know we see complaints here and we read about them, but there are millions of G4's in India and I still haven't seen anything solid on how many are having problems. It's always the same, more people complain than praise.

It's not the same update. The Canadian G4 Plus is a model XT1641 (2 GB RAM, 32 storage) and the file available to update the G4 in India was reported to not work on the XT1641. The sites with instructons about how to manually upgrade a phone specificaly said it didn't work with the Canadian version.

*shrug*, I just know it's the same version number (NPJ25.93-14), and the same security patch. The previous to the one before December was NPJ25.93-12 and 13, and before those were soak test versions

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms