Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 1851
  • Message 511 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-02-19, 13:42 PM

I think the posters issue is lack of support for the phone rather than asking when an update will be provided. The lack of support is what's been getting spoken about on here for a while now, it was 2 previous posters when asked about updates to which another poster responded 

Options

15 Posts

02-23-2015

United States

33 Signins

280 Page Views

• Views: 280
  • Message 512 of 2450

2017-02-19, 14:40 PM

My personal view on 'lack of support' is this.

When I purchased my Moto G4+ last year I had an expectation of continuing Moto security updates and a promise of Nougat update.

Lenovo have not provided regular security updates after acquiring Moto and lo and behold, when they did provide an OTA for Marshmallow they and Android managed to screw up the Notification sound level for which we still have not had any solution. And it does appear that when we finally do get the Nougat 7.0 update it will still not resolve the Notification level.

The forum doesn't appear to have Technical or Customer Service input from Lenovo/Moto inasmuch there doesn't appear to be any communication between the forum and the posters.

Answers like you'll get it when it's released and nobody knows are not good enough.

Answers like 'they're still working on a difficulty' or 'they've sacked half the workforce so it's taking time' or 'they're concentrating on resolving the Notification sound level before release' would be an acceptable start.

:-)

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 513 of 2450

2017-02-19, 15:52 PM

wrote:

My personal view on 'lack of support' is this.

When I purchased my Moto G4+ last year I had an expectation of continuing Moto security updates and a promise of Nougat update.

Lenovo have not provided regular security updates after acquiring Moto and lo and behold, when they did provide an OTA for Marshmallow they and Android managed to screw up the Notification sound level for which we still have not had any solution. And it does appear that when we finally do get the Nougat 7.0 update it will still not resolve the Notification level.

The forum doesn't appear to have Technical or Customer Service input from Lenovo/Moto inasmuch there doesn't appear to be any communication between the forum and the posters.

Answers like you'll get it when it's released and nobody knows are not good enough.

Answers like 'they're still working on a difficulty' or 'they've sacked half the workforce so it's taking time' or 'they're concentrating on resolving the Notification sound level before release' would be an acceptable start.

:-)

It appears you misunderstood the forum then. The community rules https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704

clarify that this is predominantly a user to user forum an answers are not guaranteed. But moto employees and agents do repond when they can and have information or solutions to share.  Customers with order or service issues are contacted, but this one thread is not a valid indicator of that. Other threads have MotorolaTom, Jess, Anne, Brittany and others asking for bug reports, order id, etc. and working with users on issues.

In the case of when or why regarding updates, moto has not shared information in the 10 years I have been on this forum - or the few times they did in the past it created more problems then "mums the word" policy they have used for at least the 5 years. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

231 Posts

12-18-2014

United States of America

251 Signins

1900 Page Views

• Views: 1900
  • Message 514 of 2450

2017-02-19, 23:43 PM

wrote:

In the case of when or why regarding updates, moto has not shared information in the 10 years I have been on this forum - or the few times they did in the past it created more problems then "mums the word" policy they have used for at least the 5 years. 

And that's probably part of the problem, they did exactly that.  Motorola announced in their official blog  October 4, 2016 that they would be rolling out Nougat starting in the 4th quarter of 2016. They then listed all 15 phones that would be receiving it. When they do something like that people start to expect it.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

Options

92 Posts

12-08-2016

231 Signins

1851 Page Views

• Views: 1851
  • Message 515 of 2450

2017-02-20, 7:29 AM

Exactly! They started rolling out a buggy version of nougat right at the death of quarter 4 2016 so they can deam they have delivered on their promise. Were now 2 months into quarter 1 of 2017 and a lot of regions haven't yet had a sniff of the roll out and areas have had the release delayed on numerous occasions. Customers are very well within their right to be pissed off with the service they are currently receiving from Motorola/lenovo

Options

114 Posts

10-23-2016

Belgium

263 Signins

1307 Page Views

• Views: 1307
  • Message 516 of 2450

2017-02-20, 7:59 AM

Allmost March 2017, still no updates !  = bad service !, so if it come the update in Februari 2017 like promised it will be better the latest version of Nougat 7.1 or higher  and not the 7.0 with bugs ! We are still whaithing !!!!!

Options

37 Posts

08-30-2016

Romania

114 Signins

630 Page Views

• Views: 630
  • Message 517 of 2450

2017-02-20, 8:37 AM

No kidding! 

http://hitechgazette.com/2017/02/17/lenovo-maintains-its-leadership-in-pc-sales-but-loses-money-in-its-smartphone

Options

20 Posts

02-17-2017

Italy

83 Signins

694 Page Views

• Views: 694
  • Message 518 of 2450

2017-02-20, 10:46 AM

I can definetely see their fail in the Smartphone area

I do not need the phone for more than calls and messages - true is that the only social app I have on my Moto G4 Plus is Whatsapp, which I only use with Wifi (home and work, I do not have a mobile internet contract, not I need it)

The phone works wonderfully for the price - suck for the non NFC chip but I can live with it, I paid it less than 200€ and has no bug currently - Marshmallow work fast, it does calls, receive messages, call quality is very good

I bought it for their officially, promised support until Android O - but seeing as it doens't even receive security updates from July last year, I get the promise is not good anymore

I don't even know if I'll ever really get Nougat on my phone, not even 7.1.2

This despite their real, official promises - it's almost March!

This will surely be my first and last Lenovo phone - you shouldn't joke your customers if you want them to be loyal and returning - I of course alienated my entire family and friends circle about Lenovo, no one will buy from them ever - and I suspect their friends too

Way to go, Lenovo!

Options

9 Posts

09-13-2016

8 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 519 of 2450

2017-02-20, 12:26 PM
Is there ever any point in expecting new versions of Android before a phone becomes obsolete? I had a couple of Nexus tablets which upgraded quickly, but are new Android versions of non-google phones ever likely to be released?
Options

20 Posts

02-17-2017

Italy

83 Signins

694 Page Views

• Views: 694
  • Message 520 of 2450

2017-02-20, 12:45 PM

Well, since an Android O update was promised by Official Motorola Lenovo images and spoke person, not even having a security patch/update and still not having Nougat feels like a joke

The phone feels and work good for the money I paid - but I bought it primarly for the Android updates availability; for my usage, I could have bought any other phone in this price range

Seriously, I feel joked

No more Lenovo products for me ever - I also alienated my family and friends on the matter - no Lenovo products for anyone I know (and their friends too I suspect)

They deserve to shut down the Mobile sector - things they're practically doing, firing people over people - and I'l glad to hear they take loss after loss in the selling section

Seriously, this is no way to treat customers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms